Photography as a profession

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoZ

Jul 17, 2006
Telok Blangah
fotologue.jp
Hi all, I'm still new to photography but I am very interested to be a professional photographer. I owns a PowerShot S2 and I find it limiting my creativity.

Are there any user here who take photos for a living? Please give me some tips and advices. Thanks. :what:

Photography as profession is not as glamorous as many people thought. What you see on TV is just an illusion, a fairy tale.

If you want to making a living as a photographer, you need to put in a lot of hard works, tears and sweats.

The first three years is very tough, long and erratic working hours, constantly working under great stress, unstable source of income, no person life, etc. If you want to stay in business, you have to endure the first three years, after which, life is not really getting any much better, it just show that you are getting use to it.

Hope this helps.

You have to spend money first before you can earned it back.

If you want to be a professional, time to change to a DSLR! Am suprised you don't own a SLR camera. Why still limit your creativity within a small camera. There are many different knowledge a well-skilled photographer need to know. For example usage of a Basic Flashlight, setting of a strobe lights inside the stuido, knowledge of various camera preferably, include MF camera, posing of models etc.. Catchlights mentioned is going to be very very tough. Is true, that's the reality you going to face. So think about it, it is not a three minute of fame thingy. But if you really into it, i wish you all the best, if not shoot within what your pocket have.

yes as catchlights has said it's gonna be a struggle. But if you persist long enough and you have the talent, you will survive!

But of course with that said, it's easier said than done.

And as of any job, you would have to start at the bottom first, e.g. Photographer PA AKA Sai Kang warrior, or stuff like that.

Good Luck and all the best.

GeckoZ said:
Hi all, I'm still new to photography but I am very interested to be a professional photographer. I owns a PowerShot S2 and I find it limiting my creativity.

Are there any user here who take photos for a living? Please give me some tips and advices. Thanks. :what:

equipment isnt the be all and end all. there are famous fashion photogs who only use disposables.

having said that, you will be quite limited in what you can offer or do if you only have a S2. and lets face it, there may sometimes be an expectation, if you are paying for a professional photog, that they will have professional equipment.

but, that doesnt mean you cant embark on the road to being one without equipment. hone your basic skills, help out where you can. maybe find a sifu who can take you under this wing.

catchlights said:
Photography as profession is not as glamorous as many people thought. What you see on TV is just an illusion, a fairy tale.

If you want to making a living as a photographer, you need to put in a lot of hard works, tears and sweats.

The first three years is very tough, long and erratic working hours, constantly working under great stress, unstable source of income, no person life, etc. If you want to stay in business, you have to endure the first three years, after which, life is not really getting any much better, it just show that you are getting use to it.

Hope this helps.

You are absolutely correct..:thumbsup:

GeckoZ said:

"and I find it limiting my creativity."

Being a professional photographer and being an artist are two different things. Which one are you aspiring to be? I think that's the first question you have to ask yourself.

If you want "to take photos for a living", you probably wont have the luxury of time to make art.. hence little room for exploring your creativity at client's expense.

just my two cent's worth... btw, i'm just a hobbyist :)

well ... you are like 20 ?

i think the best way for you to start off would be to get a DSLR and try understanding ur equipment, take up some courses on photography, and become a freelancer or apply as a assistant to some of the pros here.

but dun think it will be a 1-2 mth affair. it will take sometime for u to understand ur equipment. and i mean UNDERSTAND and Experiment. once u are confident enough, join the pros in some event shootings.

and slowly move your way up....

and frankly speaking. NO client would want to employ a photographer who uses a small PNS. trust me.. nowadays clients are smart. they will ask ur camera model and check the specs out..... :)

and what u see on tv ? total fake. unless u wish to become a american paparazi... den its a different thing.... even that. it takes wonderful stalking skills and sniping accurate photography skills.....

photography was never as easy as what the tv says.... its pure hard work...

glennyong said:
well ... you are like 20 ?

i think the best way for you to start off would be to get a DSLR and try understanding ur equipment, take up some courses on photography, and become a freelancer or apply as a assistant to some of the pros here.

but dun think it will be a 1-2 mth affair. it will take sometime for u to understand ur equipment. and i mean UNDERSTAND and Experiment. once u are confident enough, join the pros in some event shootings.

and slowly move your way up....

and frankly speaking. NO client would want to employ a photographer who uses a small PNS. trust me.. nowadays clients are smart. they will ask ur camera model and check the specs out..... :)

and what u see on tv ? total fake. unless u wish to become a american paparazi... den its a different thing.... even that. it takes wonderful stalking skills and sniping accurate photography skills.....

photography was never as easy as what the tv says.... its pure hard work...
Well said... :thumbsup: Totally concurred with you... ;)

Why must be professional? Why cannot just shoot and enjoy photography? :dunno:

_espn_ said:

I like this reply the most
:thumbsup:

_espn_ said:

professional: shoot - enjoy - collect $

_espn_ said:

pros like u, enjoy doing what u like. and when u enjoy doing what u like, it drives passion. when u drive passion, you drive your motivation. motivation drive you to work harder. when you work harder, results come in, results is when people like your work. when people like your work, they start paying you. $$ come in. u become more pro. :bsmilie:

people like us still eating grass and drink morning dew..... sometimes smell the air and eat tree bark....

so still at the motivation drive to work harder.. and results havent come in....

so!! if wanna be pro.... think first... its not just shooting. its also about the math... the business plans, the overheads, the start up costs.. etc etc...

glennyong said:
pros like u, enjoy doing what u like. and when u enjoy doing what u like, it drives passion. when u drive passion, you drive your motivation. motivation drive you to work harder. when you work harder, results come in, results is when people like your work. when people like your work, they start paying you. $$ come in. u become more pro. :bsmilie:

people like us still eating grass and drink morning dew..... sometimes smell the air and eat tree bark....

so still at the motivation drive to work harder.. and results havent come in....

so!! if wanna be pro.... think first... its not just shooting. its also about the math... the business plans, the overheads, the start up costs.. etc etc...
Who Pro? I definitely not pro, I still go to office 8-5 :cry: I also wish I can be pro, but I think shoot free and easy, and enjoy the hobby enough liao :D

_espn_ said:
Who Pro? I definitely not pro, I still go to office 8-5 :cry: I also wish I can be pro, but I think shoot free and easy, and enjoy the hobby enough liao :D

u 8-5 leh... 7-5. i got 1 hr less sleep den u.... i also dream of being pro.... u teach me how la......

u also see boss every day. boss see me everyday. i see him. he see me. 7-5 we see each other..... my life sucks.. :bsmilie:

glennyong said:
u 8-5 leh... 7-5. i got 1 hr less sleep den u.... i also dream of being pro.... u teach me how la......

u also see boss every day. boss see me everyday. i see him. he see me. 7-5 we see each other..... my life sucks.. :bsmilie:
That's life, it always looks greener on the other side till you start chewing on the grassland the other person is standing on.

After that, you can start regretting...

Status
Not open for further replies.