Photography as a profession

Status
Not open for further replies.
davsmiths said:
Pros learn about marketing, web designing, photo cataloging, album designs, portfolio, Adobe Photoshop, Inputs & Outputs of photography, from framing to print-outs. the entire process, how to market your stuff, how to market your services, your studio...

I like this part of the story.. looks like i've only covered Adobe Photoshop. It's totally not as simple as I thought initially.. Thanks smiths for enlightening me. :)

CYRN said:
ISO ratings same across cams are same.

Anyway, below link my fireworks shots are taken hand held at 1/10 sec with IS.
here

Nicely taken!! But the 1st canon picture is rather blur... I didn't know prosumer can shoot such nice pics like SLR untill u prooved it to me. Thanks! What was the aperture by the way?

GeckoZ said:
Nicely taken!! But the 1st canon picture is rather blur... I didn't know prosumer can shoot such nice pics like SLR untill u prooved it to me. Thanks! What was the aperture by the way?

tink you got wrong impression... it's taken wif DSLR (10D).

prosumer I dun tink if can track the F-16s in flight at that kind of low light condition.

first pic... I tink 100% crop..mabbe that's why it's a little blury.

CYRN said:
tink you got wrong impression... it's taken wif DSLR (10D).

prosumer I dun tink if can track the F-16s in flight at that kind of low light condition.

first pic... I tink 100% crop..mabbe that's why it's a little blury.

well, prosumer has been proven by you to be unable to take such a cool shots.. :eek:

GeckoZ said:
well, prosumer has been proven by you to be unable to take such a cool shots.. :eek:

the question is... how often you shoot these subjects in these conditions. ;)

study hard and complete your studies...then at least you have something to fall back on and practise your skills while you compete with photogs who have been shooting all their lives...get a 2nd/3rd hand Olympus E10, probably the only DSLR you can get for about $400, and practise on it...does not have the best speed or noise but it has an incredible lens and many pro features...take some time, and intern as a photog assitant (ie slave :bsmilie: )...or practise your photoshop skills, get a GOOD portfolio together and try out as a digital touchup dude...see what it takes to be a pro by working for one :)

theRBK said:
study hard and complete your studies...then at least you have something to fall back on and practise your skills while you compete with photogs who have been shooting all their lives...get a 2nd/3rd hand Olympus E10, probably the only DSLR you can get for about $400, and practise on it...does not have the best speed or noise but it has an incredible lens and many pro features...take some time, and intern as a photog assitant (ie slave :bsmilie: )...or practise your photoshop skills, get a GOOD portfolio together and try out as a digital touchup dude...see what it takes to be a pro by working for one :)

thanks for the advice, perhaps this holiday i could come in to CS and ask for a job from one of this pro photog here. :bsmilie:

There is nothing wrong with prosumer cameras. Many prosumer cameras (your S2 included) can handle very good shots. It is a question of whether you bother to push it that far. I'm using a Coolpix4500 and still using it (for work and for play). A dSLR is not going to improve much on your basics if you haven't even given it a thought.

Azure said:
There is nothing wrong with prosumer cameras. Many prosumer cameras (your S2 included) can handle very good shots. It is a question of whether you bother to push it that far. I'm using a Coolpix4500 and still using it (for work and for play). A dSLR is not going to improve much on your basics if you haven't even given it a thought.

Prosumer loose to DSLR in low light conditions.. no? and the focus speed is very slow, a lot of moments would have passed by the time the shutter closes on every snaps.

any tips on how i could push it's limits further? What's your job? A pro photog too?? I don't quite understand your last sentence,
A dSLR is not going to improve much on your basics if you haven't even given it a thought.

With enough self-motivation, a willingness to work hard and some business sense, you could earn a living through photography. It is not rocket science.

6 years ago I was just like anyone in Clubsnap shooting, posting photos and learning in the local photo forums. I was laughed at and ridiculed by some in Offstone for the Photoshop experiments I posted. I just kept going.

Today photography puts rice on my table and pays all my bills.

Of course I am still shooting, posting photos if I have the time and learning. :)

here's a tip
get a cheapo manual camera, shoot with film

get a point and shoot camera, shoot with film

it'll teach you to trust your eyes first before you put your eye on the camera and press away
and it doesn't cost much

Sion said:
With enough self-motivation, a willingness to work hard and some business sense, you could earn a living through photography. It is not rocket science.

6 years ago I was just like anyone in Clubsnap shooting, posting photos and learning in the local photo forums. I was laughed at and ridiculed by some in Offstone for the Photoshop experiments I posted. I just kept going.

Today photography puts rice on my table and pays all my bills.

Of course I am still shooting, posting photos if I have the time and learning. :)

sion, photography is your only soruce of income? who are your clients?

mattlock said:
here's a tip
get a cheapo manual camera, shoot with film

get a point and shoot camera, shoot with film

it'll teach you to trust your eyes first before you put your eye on the camera and press away
and it doesn't cost much

mattlock, i saw your photo gallery from your website. they are very nice and artistic! what camera do you use?? Is there any chance that you could share some tips with me too?

I'm curios of how newbie photographers can predict the aperture and shutter speed to use if they are shooting with film camera since they can't see the results before they wash the films. please advice.

Oh, and I would be glad if I have the chance to tag along any pf your photoshoot. :bsmilie:

GeckoZ said:
mattlock, i saw your photo gallery from your website. they are very nice and artistic! what camera do you use?? Is there any chance that you could share some tips with me too?

I'm curios of how newbie photographers can predict the aperture and shutter speed to use if they are shooting with film camera since they can't see the results before they wash the films. please advice.

Oh, and I would be glad if I could tag along during your next photoshoot. :)

Geckoz..please read up on your basics, about the type of cameras there are, what they do, what role aperture and shutter speed plays..the questions you ask can be answered by doing some research on your own..you can start by going to the library.

you shouldn't expect anyone to spoon feed you or baby-sit you.

jherek said:
Geckoz..please read up on your basics, about the type of cameras there are, what they do, what role aperture and shutter speed plays..the questions you ask can be answered by doing some research on your own..you can start by going to the library.

you shouldn't expect anyone to spoon feed you or baby-sit you.

yes i do know the basics. what i'm asking instead was, how do you gauge the aperture and shutter speed acurately so that a picture would turn out perfectly as to what you intended. missing a stop would cause great difference, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.