Photography and Glaucoma

ijnek

Feb 4, 2008
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
i enjoy taking photos, but i was diagnosed with glaucoma in both my eyes last week.
had this idea that when i'm old, i can look back at my photos, but now, whether i can still see properly or not in future is a doubt...
any1 in the same shoe as me?
how are you coping with this?

I have been a glaucoma patient for more than a decade. My condition is under control with the help of eyedrops and regular checkups at the eye clinic.

It is very important that you go for regular checkups and apply any eyedrop prescriptions given by your doctor diligently. As glaucoma is an incurable condition and the vision will deteriorate over time it is imperative you keep the eye pressure within the recommended range as advised by your doctor by applying the prescribed eyedrops diligently. The last resort is of course an operation but there are risks involved and your doctor should tell you whether surgery is necessary. Meanwhile, learn as much about it as possible, there are many sources of information available in the Net.

Hope this gives you some comfort. Take life each day as it comes and continue enjoying photography as long as you can.

Best of luck

Don't let the doctor's diagnosis frighten you, look at it objectively and search online for truth and possible solutions.
That said but please don't panic although there is no cure for glaucoma which leads to blindness, don't think this is
old people's disease as younger folks do get it in their 40s and some very early like in their teens or much earlier.

Your mental outlook is just as important as physical health as TCM (traditional chinese medicine) advises.
If you search what is glaucoma what they say is that the eye's lubricating system is blocked or non functioning
meaning the eyeball is dry.I have a friend who has glaucoma in both eyes and he is managing it well by apply
eye drops as prescribed by western doctor.Also do know glaucoma because of the nature of symtoms is accompanied
with other medical problems like high blood pressure of my friend who is also taking medication for it so you can see
it's double whammy but he has a happy disposition...happy go lucky which helps.

What I know of TCM is that nothing happens in isolation, eye problems if you go by TCM methods which is thousands of years
experience is that because the eyes have a "connection" with the liver so that attention should/must given be to it. In TCM taking herbal medicine in the form of herbal soup which you can buy from ntuc supermarket of various formulations (dry herbs) to fortify the body's general health and immune system which I think is more effective than purely relying on western treatments (life long) which targets the symtoms but not the causes.

To improve eye health here are some things to do via TCM, stop drinking cold drinks, drink chrysanthymum tea , instant or boiling dried flowers.
Put wolfberries (dried red fruit) into soup or chew after soaking them in water ( I usually put in tea to soften them), just take what your fingers can grasp like 10 or more dried berries daily which can be found in ntuc in the dry herbs product section. Take cinnamon powder 1/3 to half teaspoon in coffee or tea daily it promotes or improve immune system.If you experience purging stop taking or reduce dosage. All this will not have adverse effects unlike western treatments. In time you will notice your health improve which go in tandom with mental outlook.

I speak with experience and use of the said herbs and have met persons of similar conditions some are resigned to it some are happy their doctors manage to detect early so take each day as it comes I personally feel if you do due diligence for your health you will be better off.
Be proactive!

Edit: Vitamin A is cited as needed for eye health so make sure you have daily intake of course carrots are a good choice be it mixed with other food or eaten raw. A multivitamin tablet/capsule daily or alternate days or weekly depending on your needs.
As vitamins are not cheap but considering the cost of 20 cents each is small price to prevent blindness. You may also notice
some nutrient/supplements for eye contains lutein or zinc + vitamin C but don't overdose on zinc .Eat foods that contain zinc
good for men...think oysters..haha but that is if not allergic to it.

Last edited:
Vitamin A needs an oily / fatty 'support' for absorption. So add some olive oil (making it a salad or so) is a good choice. For cooking, add some butter.
For any balanced diet, vitamin supplements are not required. Especially here in the tropics where fruits and veggies are available all year round, fresh and in good quality, only people with very special needs would need supplements. For everyone else, they would only feed the profits of the pharma companies.