Photographer's Assistant - What Does He/She Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smurfman - Wow that is really low! :eek:

Clown said:
wah your hourly rate quite good leh.. can hire me when i have my lull period anot?
plus my photochop can make it. hehx

I am not hiring assistants in the meantime. Maybe you can PM me your contacts and email so that I can arrange a portfolio viewing and Photoshop evaluation test for you.

smurfman said:
i am paid $650 per mth last time, and sometimes $6/- per hr.

I pay my cleaner Aunty $700 a month. Maybe you can replace her.

Sion said:
That's true.

I've heard one assistant with much practice in fact is able to stand one leg on a Manfrotto tripod at the same time carrying Lowepro on one arm and a Sinar on the other with Shifu's teapot on his head.
Hey! You don't have to tell my lifestory to everyone! I told you that only for you!

HS

hongsien said:
Hey! You don't have to tell my lifestory to everyone! I told you that only for you!
Aiyah... this is nothing compared to me when I was an assistant few years ago. I had to carry:
  1. A non-carbon fiber Gitzo tripod on the left shoulder on strap.
  2. A Tamrac shoulder bag with 2 Hasselblad bodies, 4 film backs and an assortment of lenses, including a 300mm f4.5, 2 Polaroid backs and films.
  3. A Tamrac haversack on my back with F5 and D1x bodies and an assortment of Nikon lenses, including a 300mm f2.8 and films.
  4. A Minolta Autometer hanging on my neck.
  5. 2 750W Elinchrom compacts with my right hand.
  6. 2 Light stands, 2 Autopoles, 2 soft boxes, a 6' Octobank softbox and a 48" 5-in-1 reflectors with my left hand.
Fortunately, I am 6' 2" tall and weight 125 kg. Carrying all these equipment seemed easier each day.

Life of an assistant in general.

redstone said:
Is it advisable to be photog assistant to learn photography?
Not necessary. But to become an assistant will help you establish a network of clients early, in case you decided to branch out on your own.

If you are purely for learning purposes, I suggest that you attend workshops instead.

photobum said:
COFFEE and ERRAND BOY for the photographer, other senior assistants, staff, clients and clients' client, etc...

Therefore, I will hire any assistant who has ever worked at Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaves, Ya Kun, McDonald's and NTUC FairPrice.
i work at McDs b4 leh

@ S$200 per hour, just pm me

my ps also ok wan

ortega said:
i work at McDs b4 leh

@ S$200 per hour, just pm me

my ps also ok wan

I will have to look at your portfolio to decide if you are worth the price you quoted.

BTW, which McD's did you worked at? I used to work at North Bridge Road, Kea Building long, long, long time ago (early 1980s).

photobum said:
I am not hiring assistants in the meantime. Maybe you can PM me your contacts and email so that I can arrange a portfolio viewing and Photoshop evaluation test for you.
wah serious ar? haha.. sure! a meet up is great!
pming u in a while.

photobum said:
I will have to look at your portfolio to decide if you are worth the price you quoted.

BTW, which McD's did you worked at? I used to work at North Bridge Road, Kea Building long, long, long time ago (early 1980s).
I used to work at ECP McDs (mid 80s)

for $200 an hour, i can stroke your ego
and make you look real good in front of clients ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.