Photographer or Hardware-Collector?


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Can say I am quite disappointed with most Clubsnappers in this forum. The release of 10D has seen a lot of people devaluing D60 and a mad rush to get 10D. Some even upgrade for hope that the 10D can somehow overnight improve their photography skill.

Photography is all about skills and never about equipment. Equipment should never dictate the art of photography. But the majority of Singaporeans photographers are actually hardware collectors. The pictures they posed with their so called good cameras are simply so-so. Yet they felt so pleased with their purchase of a new release equipment...

I am no sour grape here... but we are all here to learn photography ain't we? Yet we are seeing people selling their camera off in a mad rush to get the new 10D... what's wrong with these photographers?

Where are all the good photographers? Can we have a day where everyone talks about composition, how to take good photos etc and not about equipment? Can we? :angry:
 

#2
That's the trouble with going after the latest and greatest. They fear that what they have will devalue, so have to upgrade fast. Then at the end of the day, the guy with the 1950s camera with no AF point, 1 MF point and a dingy 50mm is still gonna take better war pictures....


Regards
CK
 

YSLee

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,326
1
38
Visit site
#3
Originally posted by crazypaladin

Where are all the good photographers? Can we have a day where everyone talks about composition, how to take good photos etc and not about equipment? Can we? :angry:
No.
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#4
Originally posted by crazypaladin
Can say I am quite disappointed with most Clubsnappers in this forum. The release of 10D has seen a lot of people devaluing D60 and a mad rush to get 10D. Some even upgrade for hope that the 10D can somehow overnight improve their photography skill.
Wait a minute. How did you arrive at this conclusion "Some even upgrade for hope that the 10D can somehow overnight improve their photography skill" ?

Are u jumping to a conclusion too fast or over-generalizing?
Care to post the relevant links which led u to think in this way?
 

tomshen

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
3,644
0
36
Singapore
#5
hehe, take it easy, man.:) There are still many pple having rules and senses. And the 10d mad is understandable. If I dun have a DSLR, I will die for it, just like I died for my d60 last years.

Bored? Have a look at my site: http://tomshenstudio.com . Comments (I meant critics pls)? Happy shooting.
 

mylau

New Member
Jan 19, 2002
1,019
0
0
33
#6
dun feed the troll.....
 

BraveHart

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
864
0
0
40
Singapore
www.ef2pt8.com
#7
Ah...relax man don't get too worked up!

I mean after all its their hard earned money...and who are we to deny them the satisfaction in using it however they wish?

To be honest I do feel all this equipment talk does make for a nice banal converstaion between photographers, nothing more. A nice way to make new foto friends IMHO. Also gives an excuse to start some flame wars as well :rbounce: hehehe

But seriously it would be nice if photographers could be a little less tech headed. Sometimes I do slap my forehead when people start comparing stuffs like who has more AF-points or a difference of 1fps between 2 cameras...or people boasting they got a certain product $10 cheaper than what most other ppl would get it for...

puh-lease....
 

#8
Originally posted by mylau
dun feed the troll.....
I rest my case. I was hoping that someone would support my point of view. Photography is about skills and more but over here, I observed that quite a number are more concern with equipment than anything else. Did I strike where it hurts more or am I sprouting nonsense? It's for you to decide.
 

#9
Originally posted by imaginary_number
Wait a minute. How did you arrive at this conclusion "Some even upgrade for hope that the 10D can somehow overnight improve their photography skill" ?

Are u jumping to a conclusion too fast or over-generalizing?
Care to post the relevant links which led u to think in this way?
Maybe I could be over-generalizing. But isn't it too coincidental that the release of 10D has resulted in many sudden sale of D60 at much much below market price??
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#10
Originally posted by crazypaladin
I rest my case. I was hoping that someone would support my point of view. Photography is about skills and more but over here, I observed that quite a number are more concern with equipment than anything else. Did I strike where it hurts more or am I sprouting nonsense? It's for you to decide.
True, photography is about skills but equipment does play a part as well. One of the pros of the 10D is its ability to take relatively clean shots at the higher sensitivities. Maybe this doesn't mean much to u for normal photo-taking. But in a low-light situation where u're not allowed to use flash, this makes a lot of sense.
Additionally, a slow AF would many a times, cause a photographer to lose a once-in-a-lifetime shot. Thus, this is where the faster AF proves its usefulness.

So do u think u struck where it hurts most or plainly sprouting nonsense? You decide.
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#12
Why be so quick to point fingers?

If you want more discussion on photography techniques you can always start new topics for others to join in.

Stereotyping all 10D upgraders as equipment freaks is rather unfair labelling.
 

#13
Originally posted by Zerstorer
Why be so quick to point fingers?

If you want more discussion on photography techniques you can always start new topics for others to join in.

Stereotyping all 10D upgraders as equipment freaks is rather unfair labelling.
Oops... I see how the trouble starts... :embrass:

First of all, my intention is not to point finger at 10D ungraders. I am using this recent upgrade to 10D as an example to illustrate my point that there is an overly emphasis on equipment among clubsnappers...

My point is that clubsnap should be a place where we can receive good critism to photos as well as learn how to take photos. We should not spend so much time too engrossed over equipments.
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#14
Originally posted by crazypaladin
Mod, if this is starting a flame war, please remove it on my behalf. I have no wish to incur any unneccessary debate here... but wish that people be more willing to contribute their POV and convince me... ;)
We're more than willing to contribute our POV but I would recommend that u refrain from using phrases like "Did I strike where it hurts more ". This actually sounds more like a personal attack on those buyers rather than a friendly discussion. A lot of unneccessary misunderstandings could be avoided in this way.
 

#15
Originally posted by imaginary_number
We're more than willing to contribute our POV but I would recommend that u refrain from using phrases like "Did I strike where it hurts more ". This actually sounds more like a personal attack on those buyers rather than a friendly discussion. A lot of unneccessary misunderstandings could be avoided in this way.
Point taken. :D
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#16
Originally posted by crazypaladin
Oops... I see how the trouble starts... :embrass:

First of all, my intention is not to point finger at 10D ungraders. I am using this recent upgrade to 10D as an example to illustrate my point that there is an overly emphasis on equipment among clubsnappers...

My point is that clubsnap should be a place where we can receive good critism to photos as well as learn how to take photos. We should not spend so much time too engrossed over equipments.
Well, then you could take a proactive step and encourage discussion instead!:)

Starting a thread bitching about things isn't a positive way of getting pple's attention, it will only draw backlash.
 

#17
But back to my point:

Should ClubSnap be another dpreview website where we talk about nothing but hardware???? Or should it be a unique place where we learn how to take photos?

Most of the time, I noticed that people dun put much time into the critism of photos... there is hardly any learning here though once in a while, good discussions surfaces... but then this is what this forum is for, to learn from one another and to improve our photography skills!
 

jeffgoh

New Member
Jul 22, 2002
461
0
0
jeffgoh.clubsnap.org
#18
Originally posted by crazypaladin
But back to my point:

Should ClubSnap be another dpreview website where we talk about nothing but hardware???? Or should it be a unique place where we learn how to take photos?

Most of the time, I noticed that people dun put much time into the critism of photos... there is hardly any learning here though once in a while, good discussions surfaces... but then this is what this forum is for, to learn from one another and to improve our photography skills!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#19
Originally posted by crazypaladin
But back to my point:

Should ClubSnap be another dpreview website where we talk about nothing but hardware???? Or should it be a unique place where we learn how to take photos?

Most of the time, I noticed that people dun put much time into the critism of photos... there is hardly any learning here though once in a while, good discussions surfaces... but then this is what this forum is for, to learn from one another and to improve our photography skills!
How a forum turns out depends on the composition of its members.

You may attempt to steer or provoke discussion but whether it appeals to your personal tastes is another matter.

No single individual can possibly dictate what it should or should not be. Why be so particular about things? Just join the discussions you deem worthy and ignore the tech stuff. Everyone can have their own favourite corner in the forum....
 

#20
heyhey, let me divert a bit...

http://www.darklightimagery.net/

this guy spending all his time and patient in the field taking stunning pictures. 2-3 seconds for an insect or flower using the traditional SLR and all manual lens with bellow and extension tube. And u think he is crazy? the pictures speak for himself....and we should know how difficult is it to do a close up in the field at max DOF.

interestingly, after the night falls, he turns digital but only by pointing his even bigger lenses at the night sky for even longer exposures.

btw, anybody know how good a CCD camera is vs the lengenary D10?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom