Photo Trip: Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.
aperture said:
Christmas period will be more expensive leh...also more crowded. I will prefer the week of Nov 7 or Nov 14, cause my gf not in Singapore :cheergal:

haahaa, no wonder so happy! 3 cheers to freedom! ;p ;p

i feel like joining as well.

aperture said:
Christmas period will be more expensive leh...also more crowded. I will prefer the week of Nov 7 or Nov 14, cause my gf not in Singapore :cheergal:

Aiyoh, then y go Cambodia, should go more happening :devil: place! ;)

I call Silkair, they say 428 (at least 2 to go) is only airfare. if include hotal and tax, should be around 890-920/per person.

add some money, i can go to Hawaii or Italy liao.

Fishking said:
I call Silkair, they say 428 (at least 2 to go) is only airfare. if include hotal and tax, should be around 890-920/per person.

Silkair is the only direct flight from SIN to Siem Reap ... so it's sort of a monopoly there. But i think you can get better rates for hotels or lodges (if you do not mind). As for Angkor complex, the entrance is determined by the Cambodian government ... so cannot get away from it.

For cheaper tours, get a guidebook and get a motocycle guide to drive you around the area ... they will even go as far out as Bantey Serei (the pink sandstone temple) so not a problem with them at all. Most of them speak some English so you should not have a being understood ... local food is cheap also.

It need not be an expensive trip at all.

RGDs

Fishking said:

No no, I paid S$428 for air tickets and 4*hotel 4day3night, and an additonal of $91 for taxes. Think you need to book thru an agency for the lowest rate.

Anyone joining? This Friday.

Xing said:
No no, I paid S$428 for air tickets and 4*hotel 4day3night, and an additonal of $91 for taxes. Think you need to book thru an agency for the lowest rate.

Anyone joining? This Friday.

Hi, Xing, nice info, which agency gave u such a good deal? u have any contact number or name of them? I think lots of CSer here interested in this issue. Silkair really made me confused.:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Fishking said:

Nobody said Cambodia was going to be cheap — don't mistake proximity for affordability. Angkor is something you have to see at least once in your lifetime: I wanted to but couldn't afford it, so I took the road and spent <$200 on it.

I wish Cambodia's industry could open up and be as cheap to visit as Thailand.. but for now I'm kinda glad I don't have to deal with package-tour-Singaporeans while I'm there.

1) Fly cheap cheap to BKK.
2) Take a bus to Aranyapathet, Thailand.
3) Take a tuk tuk to the border immigration.
4) Clear your customs and walk over to Poipet, Cambodia.
5) Clear your customs again.
6) You are now in Cambodia.
7) Take a pick-up ride to Siem Reap. (Ride of your life !!!)

Do the reverse during return.

Anyway, you don't need hotels in Siem Reap.
You can get decent double rooms at guesthouse for USD$5/night.

Total cost should be less than $250 for at least 4 nights stay in Siem Reap, with budget return airfares to BKK and bus,pick-up rides.

Ah_Seng said:

Total cost should be less than $250 for at least 4 nights stay in Siem Reap, with budget return airfares to BKK and bus,pick-up rides.

Agree with Ah Seng's suggestion, no need to stay at hotel guesthouse is already good enough(big & comfortable). I went there 2 yrs ago, took bus from thai/CB border to Siem Reap but it was a long journey(few hours) because of the bone-tingling road trip, rainy day even worst. Go by flight is better but expensive(abt $500), go by road is much more cheaper.....Anyway, Siem Reap is really a god place for shooting, die die must go.

Ah_Seng said:
1)

I second that — esp. the 'ride of your life' bit.

http://www.talesofasia.com/ for more instructions. I stayed at Gordon's guesthouse (the guy who runs this website) — US$14, very nice and clean and comfy, A/C, bathroom. Thought it was luxury.

Alternatively, can fly to Phnom Penh from Bangkok or KL (AirAsia flying there next month). THen go to Siem Reap by bus for US$4, very fast and comfortable road and buses. Then come back to thailand by road, that way you only take that 'ride of your life' once!

skinnylatte said:
I second that — esp. the 'ride of your life' bit.

http://www.talesofasia.com/ for more instructions. I stayed at Gordon's guesthouse (the guy who runs this website) — US$14, very nice and clean and comfy, A/C, bathroom. Thought it was luxury.

Alternatively, can fly to Phnom Penh from Bangkok or KL (AirAsia flying there next month). THen go to Siem Reap by bus for US$4, very fast and comfortable road and buses. Then come back to thailand by road, that way you only take that 'ride of your life' once!

How long is the bus trip from PP to SR?

skinnylatte said:
I stayed at Gordon's guesthouse (the guy who runs this website) — US$14, very nice and clean and comfy, A/C, bathroom. Thought it was luxury.

Damn! I thought mine at USD$5 was already luxury! :bsmilie:

Ah_Seng said:
Damn! I thought mine at USD$5 was already luxury! :bsmilie:

Oh.. cos I'm not a backpacker. I'm a flashpacker who wants to travel cheap but live it good. And I needed a comfortable double bed.

What hotel did you stay at ah?

Stayed at two different guesthouses: The Red Lodge & Green Garden Village GH.

I like the Green Garden Village better. Great friendly staff who made my stay so pleasant.:D :D :D

My apologies to weekh if it's going abit OT here....

OT: i stayed at Red lodge too! was about US$6 per night and they had this outdoor area where they had lonely planet guide books and etc for free reads.. the outdoor area had like deck chairs and a tiny raised pavilion that had mattresses where this two tourists were hanging out on.. they looked like they were high on 'something' though!

well pretty friendly staff i say, value for money too.
http://www.redlodgeangkor.com/

did the bus/tuktuk/cab thru aran/poipet too. quite an experience! (take photos along the way!)

really loved the trip! a lot a lot.. although i was having malaria thoughout (without even knowing)

my photo journal in my signature has some shots from angkor.. good luck and have fun!

Word of advice if you are planning to go during this period.

Its is the start of the rainy season so some be prepared to get rained out if you go during this period.

Just so you dont get too disappointed if it does happen. Meanwhile, if you do decide to go ahead, then i wish you the best of luck and of course, a wonderful photographic journey. :)

Ah_Seng said:

This sounds like a doable trip, not because it is cheap, but I believe the journey (probably painful to some) is quite an experience, which is something money can't buy.

thanks for sharing this... If I go, I need more info ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.