Photo "stolen" by newspaper reporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily.

Larger organisations have learnt to play the 'waiting game' to see just how far and how quickly you're willing to go before committing ANYTHING in communications.

hey.. erm.... frm my point of view, the letter that was sent to the editor was rather informal, which may haf made the editor felt that i was some crap, u might want to try using a friendlier tone ? and a more formal tone ? and try sending it in..

IF it doesnt work, Today newspaper might not be a good effect, since its from BH, u might wanna try sending a news article to a rival department or news publisher, so the story will be blown so big that a public apology will be made or a company compensation will be carried out. Blowing the story big will firstly affect BH's reputation and of course, it will make the particular editor and journalist lose his/her job.. so maybe you should think twice on blowing the matter too big..

too much publicity is no good for you too, u might be blackmarked by the media nxt time when they (BHes) see u.. cuz u flamed them... :bsmilie:

so get my point of view ?? hehe....

juz offering my 2 cents worth of knowledge.. it has not happened once already.. but maybe a couple of times. its juz that maybe pple juz dun wan to make things difficult for the press and media.

so erm.. hehehe.. big brothers here.. dun flame me k ?? heeX. :sweat:

HeWolf said:
Yes it happened before.

At least one incident which I can remember:

When the Nicoll HW collapsed, some witnesses claimed that thay saw fire coming out from the hole. The 'relevant parties' denied.

Then a newspaper had a pic (taken with hp camera) published, showing the fire over the collapsed site. I believe it is THE one-and-only pic that captured the fire.

Credit was given, something like "contributed by reader xxx".

Thereafter, the same pic were gradually published on other papers. Credits were given too.

nah... this is different. the photo was used in the original article and credits are given on the actual article.
what i meant is that credits to the photos are given 2 to 3 days later.

duhville said:
Sorry guys still no respond from the BH editor ... guess i loose liao lah .. sian

maybe they got many more similar cases???

anyway, hope u will continue to pursue the matter. not because i wan to watch free show. but u will be doin it for many many photographers, and even more budding photographers who have the chance to get their pics in the papers. ;)

TODAY is by mediacorp. different from BH

glennyong said:
Blowing the story big will firstly affect BH's reputation and of course, it will make the particular editor and journalist lose his/her job.. so maybe you should think twice on blowing the matter too big..

too much publicity is no good for you too, u might be blackmarked by the media nxt time when they (BHes) see u.. cuz u flamed them... :bsmilie:

Errrr... honestly...

So what if it affects their reputation? They did it of their own accord. You don't earn and keep a reputation by doing irreputable things like this. It's a 'small matter'? Perhaps. But I wouldn't trust big things to people who can't even do small things ethically.

So what if a journalist gets fired? You plagiarise in an academic or journalistic context and you should be liable - no, just should be - kicked out of school or sacked.

Get blackmarked by the press? How? Ban him from buying newspapers? Ban him from attending public performances? If this matter isn't brought to light, it just encourages reporters to continue doing this. Some other unsuspecting photographer's copyright might be infringed...

duhville, keep pressing on bro.

Sorry to hear bout that Rudi. Dun give in. Hopefully they are still investigating with the writer.
BTW, nice to know that u are in here too.
;)
(sublyme@#m2)

Hi duhville,

Yours is no proper credits given. Most prolly an honest case of omission or oversight. Nevertheless, you are right is requesting the proper recognition.

In my case, my company's product brochure which was written by myself was almost copied word for word with some word changes here and there by a competitor who was my ex distributor. In this case it is not asking for recognition, but I am seeking legal advise and action.

Forget about it, just a picture. Everyone knows you are right and they are wrong already. Ain't that enough?

Minoxman said:
Forget about it, just a picture. Everyone knows you are right and they are wrong already. Ain't that enough?

that is NOT enough...

it is not JUST a picture... if this situation will just be forgotten, what message will it send to other photographers? that stealing other's ppl work is fine?

if such cases are left unchallenged, it will only happen more and more frequently... are u sure u wan that to happen? are u alright with it if i take all your photos and claim that it is taken by me?

everytime someone sees their own photo in the newspaper or mag, the chances of him/her becoming a photojournalist becomes greater... it is only when ppl see dat u take good pics do they bother to contact and hire you... and i would say that such recognition is no doubt impt to most, if not all, photographers here...

i wun deny that some bros dun mind, but here, bro duhville is unhappy abt it, and he is fighting for himself, and all the other photographers in singapore...

just my 2 cents worth...

You gave him the photo so I guess he can do anything with it. You should made a clear understanding in the beggining.

post it in the ST forum... it will work... inc some pic fro mthe papers n from u r own... of coz copyrighted...

surprisingly... although this is a photography forum, theres no photographer from the press here mingling wif us?>/??

Who say there isn't?:bigeyes:

er then why the silence? perhaps thye can help this guy by directing him to the right department instead of waiting for reply .. which i dun think they would... if not blow it big.. both sides wld suffer, esp the editor... we must attain a win win situation.. whereby the cause is justified and the editor knows his mistake ... and backing down gracefully

if your letter is ignored, write to the recipient's immediate superior and keep on doing so until you get a reply. by the time it reaches the minister, you can betcha you'll get a reply.

after all, singapore prides itself and its citizens on the virtues of honesty and integrity.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.