photo critiques *guaranteed*... all u need is a thick skin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AReality said:
Perhaps posters asking for serious critiques may like to include a caption, and a paragraph on why they took that pic.

good idea gavin, this will help everyone understand the thought process of the photographer.

AReality said:
Here...
Let u all start practising with this 1...

error.jpg

this image works quite well for me, though i wouldn't consider it as an exceptionally good photograph but there are a number of information in the photograph that attracts my imagination ...

1. the harshly lit background and the dark foreground puts the viewer in a voyeuristic position as mentioned by ortega, but i think it also defines the mood of the picture and informs the time of the day.

2. the fact that the main human subjects are obscured adds mystery to the picture, makes me wonder 'what is going on in the middle of a (hot) afternoon?'

3. i think there's also enough contextual details for me to start imagining the scene, looking out of a dark building towards the shophouse. kind of make me want to know more.

for me to make this picture really outstanding you need a good title to go with it, or present it as part of a series of abstract everyday scene.

Rev said:
Some points to add... I usually follow following guidelines whenever I look at a photo & give critiques.

- Framing/Composition (how appealing/interesting is the pic?)
- Exposure/Tones (over blown highlights)
- Color/WB
- sharpness
- Post-Process Workflow

Example, so some pics have good composition but bad sharpness and some pics have bad composition, bad exposure but good fotoshop etc etc

Suggest that we follow these guidelines if we're to help each other improve. 1 site that I visit now doesnt sugar coat their comments... helped me improve faster than CS...

thanks rev...these are very useful guidelines. another set of guidelines ppl can follow is the NYIP's 3-step approach to good photographs;

1. know your subject
2. draw attention to your subject
3. simplify.

rebbot said:
let me start:-

I had photos that were posted before but no comments. oh well lemme know if it works for anyone :embrass:

188355.JPG

can you try make this photograph into a black and white and repost? somehow the colours distract me, i feel making it black and white will isolate the main subject (which prolly defines the mood ... isolated/abandoned/drifting away) and from there some story may surface.

ST_sg said:
ok. Let you all practise practise...

Welcome critiques comments on how well or how bad is this shot? ie. exposure, colors, composition, etc... :think:

44350784.DSC_0737.jpg

Thanks all :)

don't think this works for me. it feels like a rather plain scene, just that, maybe it's just me, oh well ...

LolliPoP said:
Thanks zaren. More critiques pls...

lollipop....please feel free to critique the other photos here too....we are all here to learn and to exchange ideas! :)

espn said:
Here's mine

-
Flower.jpg

this is what i think, the part of the flower that is in focus doesn't tell the viewer much, not sure if that is intentional. i feel that there's not enough tonal range as well, the white portion is 'overburnt' and the dark areas show little details. the inclusion of the words and colour of the wordings are less than satisfactory and not tastefully done.

wanted to comment on LolliPoP's picture but zaren has made alot of constructive points about it and i have nothing to add :)

AReality said:
Here...
error.jpg

This feels more like abstract for me bec I can't see any faces, just shape. There is a sense of curiosity but only after a few look, the first impression lacks impact... imho.

rebbot said:
let me start:-
I had photos that were posted before but no comments. oh well lemme know if it works for anyone :embrass:
188355.JPG

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert and I'm not choosy but I'm not keen on this either. I like the concept but the photo has too much clutter and it took me a while to realize this is about the dog. After I tried to crop with my hands on the screen to remove the clutter, I was left with just a dog and his *bleep*. Changing to b&w doesn't work for me as well since the dog is black and I will be more attracted to the white, which is the drum at the bottom, or maybe the numbers on the boat.

ortega said:
Anyone want to take a swing at this

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=139720

it seems like nobody wants to comment, I wonder why? :think:
Let me know good or bad and why.

thanks

this pic has a moody feel to it, but somehow the viewer's eye tends to be led out of the photo, either by the lack of "space" for the boat to move into, or the strong horizontal lines that cut the photo almost in two. for that reason, the photo ends up having a more 2-dimensional rather than 3-dimensional feel. i would suggest using a wider angle (some distortion may not be a bad thing!) and giving more space for the viewer's eye to explore.

Sion said:
Anyone likes to have a go at a photo I've posted in Still Life section entitled "Swing Out Sisters"?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1385008#post1385008post1385008

Doomo arigatoo!

ok...i'll admit it, i'm not a fan of posey wooden stick figures, so this pic just doesn't work for me. i'll suggest breaking one of the figures in two and pouring red ink on it. that might add some excitement to the pic!

willyfoo said:
Interesting thread...
Blast Away...
Jogja_155.jpg

willy has done a really fine job here. the subject is a man who is smoking, and pensive. our attention is drawn to him by the swirling smoke and the cigarette that he holds in his hand, the expression in his eyes perhaps hinting at weariness. the rule of thirds is used well here, with the man's face placed in the left third and the eyes at the top third. space is created in the photo for the man's eyes to stare into. the side lighting on the man's face accentuates its shape and texture, while the light also gives the smoke its graceful form. by throwing the background out of focus, and with a tight framing, willy has very effectively imbued the photo with simplicity and impact. as a minor nitpick, i would have liked to see just a tad more shadow detail in the man's face and eyes.

AReality said:
Here...
error.jpg

A lot of times the artistry of the photographer can only be seen in a series of photos or scale of execution. As a single photo, the usual oof, lack of clarity of the subject, would be valid critiques. But, if you had a series of photos all of which had the same feel, i'd say they're brilliant. If they were 2 storey high photo reproductions hung out at the esplanade, i'd say that's genius.

willyfoo said:
Interesting thread...
Blast Away...
Jogja_155.jpg

this defintely works for me...the swirling smoke lead my eyes to the old man's weary expression. I like the ambient light used here (enhances the mood)~just sufficient to show enough details

However, somehow I DO NOT agree cropping off the top of his hat~

:D

Have a go at this one.

Taken at a tranquil lake in Zurich
swan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.