Photo Contest - Nat Geo and CapitaLand Building People

i THINK... wat the previous post mean is tat its unfair that they pool photo from user and use them or even earn money from it without the photographer notice... and whats worst is that they dun even give credit to the photographer as they have the rights of the photo when u submit a photo... they can use ur photo like 5years later and u dun even know

its abit like everyone post photo in flickr, then someone took it and use it for commercial purpose...

Is it, sorry my bad englash? I tot thay haded spelt it out and those participated had had accept its

"15. By entering the Competition, you irrevocably agree to the Promoters (either individually or jointly), using the following, without compensation, in perpetuity, in any country of the world, in any manner and in any media or format now know or later devised, for any purpose whatsoever:
(a) your name and likeness;
(b) your answer to the Competition question; and
(c) the photo and photo caption you submit as a part of your entry into the Competition."

The issue of term and condition never end. I think it is fair as long as the organiser spells it out and those who participate are accepting it.
If my son wanna take part, I would encourage him. Even if he cannot make it but the organiser use his image for their publication, it does mean alot to him or maybe proud of it.( so long as they don't use it as an example like - "never, never take a building like this one :bsmilie:).
You might say that he is stupid to be abused. But, personally, I think otherwise, unless he is a comercial photographer or he is Jeff Hutchens' mentor.

If you are so willing to be used, go ahead.

let me try to sum it up with a simple but yet wonderful illustration.

WTD983.gif
credits from here...

Last edited:
Is it, sorry my bad englash? I tot thay haded spelt it out and those participated had had accept its

"15. By entering the Competition, you irrevocably agree to the Promoters (either individually or jointly), using the following, without compensation, in perpetuity, in any country of the world, in any manner and in any media or format now know or later devised, for any purpose whatsoever:
(a) your name and likeness;
(b) your answer to the Competition question; and
(c) the photo and photo caption you submit as a part of your entry into the Competition."

yea, tats what the term 15 tat the other clubsnap member (weekh) tat say is unfair...
so now the conclusion is tat as a participant theyhave to accept tat facts...
and weekh is just giving a suggestion... this is a forum afterall...

Precisely. Capital Land and National Geographic Channels are big names.
So why do they need to put up such an unfair clause. This will only tarnish their image and reputation.

BTW, seems that it is a standard drafted by NGC (See their SIA competition which also has a similar clause).

Sorry, if I come across as against you, which I'm not.

I beleive that this terms are drafted by their legal department. Maybe, the legal department just copy wholesale from somewhere else. I don't think the top management will have a clue about all these.

By entering the Competition, you irrevocably agree to the Promoters (either individually or jointly), using the following, without compensation, in perpetuity, in any country of the world, in any manner and in any media or format now know or later devised, for any purpose whatsoever:

I will try to look at it more positively.

If they credit you properly every time your photo get printed....you will gain recognition. Something good to put in the cv or namecard... "Winner of Nat Geo Photo Contest"..

Better still.... If the photo you have submitted is so good.... for all eternity... people (maybe even alien) will get to see your photo....:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi there. We can see that the contest has raised many thoughtful questions. Please know that Nat Geo and CapitaLand are not seeking to profit from anyone, nor use anyone's creativity for sale. We simply must flag to everyone interested in the contest that we would need the rights for the entries - it's a standard clause we share with everyone. We understand if this is not comfortable for a photographer, and respect anyone’s decision not to enter. We do hope you have fun with the contest, and wish the best to everyone seeking to share their creative vision – whether it’s with us or not :)

Thanks for your interest in the CapitaLand and National Geographic Channel “Building People” photography competition! Tomorrow (15 June) is the last day to send in those photos, so don't hesitate to send us your own take on what makes a building great! For more information, log on to: http://www.capitaland.com/ngc-photo/

If my son wanna take part, I would encourage him. Even if he cannot make it but the organiser use his image for their publication, it does mean alot to him or maybe proud of it.( so long as they don't use it as an example like - "never, never take a building like this one :bsmilie:).

but will they put his name with the photo published?:dunno::dunno:

also, if the contestant uses the photo/s that they had submitted for this contest for other commercial use, will the org ask the contestant for money? saw this was a problem for a fellow cser who posted (not the TS for that thread btw) in the recent thread about newspaper using his photo without his approval. see post #20 of this thread.

My picture is on newspaper.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706550

Last edited:
but will they put his name with the photo published?:dunno::dunno:

also, if the contestant uses the photo/s that they had submitted for this contest for other commercial use, will the org ask the contestant for money? saw this was a problem for a fellow cser who posted (not the TS for that thread btw) in the recent thread about newspaper using his photo without his approval. see post #20 of this thread.

My picture is on newspaper.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706550

commercial photography: charge accordingly; charity photography: do it with a big heart;
competition photography: read the term & condition, personal photography: to collect dust,
public photography (print, web, other media): personal ego booster,
each has its specify purposes. I don't mix them. :bsmilie:

HI my picture is also shorlisted. but where do u get the link to vote? i did not get any link, but they emailed me telling me that my pics are shorlisted and that it will be in ION orchard in August. But they never said anything about voting..

You are one of the three selected winner then? no?:dunno:

HI my picture is also shorlisted. but where do u get the link to vote? i did not get any link, but they emailed me telling me that my pics are shorlisted and that it will be in ION orchard in August. But they never said anything about voting..

You can go to http://www.capitaland.com/ngc-photo/ & see if your photo is there for voting, if not, i guess your photo is only selected to be displayed at ION art gallery from 5th to 9th August 2010.

Hi there. We can see that the contest has raised many thoughtful questions. Please know that Nat Geo and CapitaLand are not seeking to profit from anyone, nor use anyone's creativity for sale. We simply must flag to everyone interested in the contest that we would need the rights for the entries - it's a standard clause we share with everyone. We understand if this is not comfortable for a photographer, and respect anyone’s decision not to enter. We do hope you have fun with the contest, and wish the best to everyone seeking to share their creative vision – whether it’s with us or not :)

It's a shame that even Nat Geo is using this sort of T&C for their competitions. Having fun or whatever is one thing, but to say that the organisers can use the images "without compensation, in perpetuity, in any country of the world, in any manner and in any media or format now know or later devised, for any purpose whatsoever...." is an abuse. And yes of course you can say you respect people's decision not enter because there will always be suckers who will.

I think in many international competitions, the copyrights belong to the photographers and they are credited accordingly. And even if the images are published in any media, it will be publicity and events related to the competition. To say "in perpetuity... and in any media..." means giving the organisers free reins to do anything with the images, meaning free usages for publicity forever. And to say that it's not profiting is an insult. It is considered profiting, although not in monetary sense, because the images, wherever it's published, is a form of publicity.

I can understand CapitaLand, because they are 'CapitaLand", but to see it coming from Nat Geo, it's a disgrace.

Shame on you.