Personal Data Protection Act - The Death of Street Photography?

I just got shouted at by an old man on the bus claiming that i was taking photos on the bus and it was an illegal act.

Furthermore he harassed the bus captain by grabbing his arm and tugging on it while he was driving and claimed that i took pictures of him and was harassing him.

To be fair i was taking some candid shots, but none of the man. He appeared out of nowhere and started harassing us in mandarin. As i'm poor in mandarin, i could only listen and not converse with him.

But the driver looked to be in a difficult position, and the old man refused to let up even after my apologies to him in broken mandarin.

Afterwards, i realized that the old man could have been seeking attention. So if you encounter such elderly folk, don't be angry with them. They might just need the attention or an outlet to vent

Q: What about filming and photography onboard SMRT buses? Is it allowed?

A: Yes, if it is for personal use and all photographs and/or videos taken are not reproduced for public viewing or sharing.

For more information, please write to Bus-plus@smrt.com.sg

http://www.smrt.com.sg/RiderGuide/FAQ.aspx

Q: What about filming and photography onboard SMRT buses? Is it allowed?

A: Yes, if it is for personal use and all photographs and/or videos taken are not reproduced for public viewing or sharing.

For more information, please write to Bus-plus@smrt.com.sg

http://www.smrt.com.sg/RiderGuide/FAQ.aspx

i understand that part. i was on an SBS bus, not SMRT.

the bus captain asked me if i had harassed the old man, to which i said i had not. in a matter of a few shots, with none containing his photo.

in fact, he wasn't too concerned about me taking photos on the bus, and even the other passengers didn't bother.

i understand that part. i was on an SBS bus, not SMRT.

the bus captain asked me if i had harassed the old man, to which i said i had not. in a matter of a few shots, with none containing his photo.

in fact, he wasn't too concerned about me taking photos on the bus, and even the other passengers didn't bother.

there are noting state in SBS transit site, but you can email them to find out, I'm sure more or less will be the same, since nowadays almost everyone has a camera (mobile phone) in their hands, they can't stop people from taking photos/video, so why put a rule that no way to enforce it?

anyway, there are so many people full of themselves, think that they have the rights of blar blar blar.... just ignore them and move on.

there are noting state in SBS transit site, but you can email them to find out, I'm sure more or less will be the same, since nowadays almost everyone has a camera (mobile phone) in their hands, they can't stop people from taking photos/video, so why put a rule that no way to enforce it?

anyway, there are so many people full of themselves, think that they have the rights of blar blar blar.... just ignore them and move on.

understood boss.

but just a word of advice to fellow shooters. don't harass the old folks back. have some respect.

I just got shouted at by an old man on the bus claiming that i was taking photos on the bus and it was an illegal act. Furthermore he harassed the bus captain by grabbing his arm and tugging on it while he was driving and claimed that i took pictures of him and was harassing him. To be fair i was taking some candid shots, but none of the man. He appeared out of nowhere and started harassing us in mandarin. As i'm poor in mandarin, i could only listen and not converse with him. But the driver looked to be in a difficult position, and the old man refused to let up even after my apologies to him in broken mandarin. Afterwards, i realized that the old man could have been seeking attention. So if you encounter such elderly folk, don't be angry with them. They might just need the attention or an outlet to vent

He probably had wanted to be a model all his life and was angry u didn't ask him to pose properly ;) but I feel u , I've been stared at a few times in SG for street shooting.

start shooting macro of flowers/pets/insects...won't kena fined or sh1t like that....very safe one...

start shooting macro of flowers/pets/insects...won't kena fined or sh1t like that....very safe one...
Unless you step into someones garden or do other funky stuffs to get to your object of desire :)
Shoot cats at the void deck and someone will complain that you attract cats there, who will then litter around, scare the children, bring bad luck to the old folks ...

Last edited:
One of the most high profile case in the States:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/17/arts/17iht-lorca.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"The suit was dismissed last month by a New York State Supreme Court judge who said that the photographer's right to artistic expression trumped the subject's privacy rights. But to many artists, the fact that the case went so far is significant."

I will continue doing what I love doing :). Shooting in Geylang is much more scarier than this Act in my opinion :cool:

Very interesting. Before you start accusing me of those acts that is not true (eg. 'canvassing our opinions for a paper I need to write'), please note that the idea of me posting this question here is similar to the thoughts I had when I heard about it during a conference for photographers in NTUC headquarters a few days earlier from my original post date (which seemed you were not there). All you did here, is merely putting words in my mouth, which I personally stated it is not true. Not that smart you are, aren't you?

@ the rest: I'm not verse with laws of course. I'd love to have many other photographers (rather than lawyers) to express their thoughts on this. I don't think I'm in any part wrong here. I hope to have those who listened to that lawyer's word during that conference to clarify with the rest if I misunderstood his words about photography and how it related to PDPA.

Last but not least, be it you're experienced photographers, professional photographers or what, please take your egocentric attitude off this post and this forum, unless one doesn't allow to discuss matters with others in this forum and that special rules are in place for such individuals to condemn other members from posting discussion threads.

PS: note that I only happen to come across all these replies after checking out my past's post. A perfect bump here imo.

dont take it too hard, my friend.
It is common here in CS.
You hv to use humour to return to humour.