People photography - tips and sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
blimmer said:
some people get paranoid even when i'm not shooting them but in their general direction. some guy approached me in the park because i set up a tripod to take a picture of a lamp post and it wasnt even facing him. after visually showing him my previous shots were of a black lamp post he replied: "i dont know, maybe its is a powerful camera"

found it funny as i was using a point and shoot. maybe its the tripod's fault

That's too paranoid.

blimmer said:
some people get paranoid even when i'm not shooting them but in their general direction. some guy approached me in the park because i set up a tripod to take a picture of a lamp post and it wasnt even facing him. after visually showing him my previous shots were of a black lamp post he replied: "i dont know, maybe its is a powerful camera"

found it funny as i was using a point and shoot. maybe its the tripod's fault

Haha... generally, I try to use a small lens like the 50mm or 35mm prime to avoid unwanted attraction. Sometimes I feel that my 17-40 is too big and people tend to feel uneasy. Also, just be quick and people dun even know that they have been shot! :bsmilie:

Ramius75 said:
thats too idiotic... but i dunno,who is right or wrong ?

I can understand for not wishing to be in the pics of strangers but take into account that the 3X zoom is not enough to snipe in on him. What say you if I told you he walked over 50m (closer to 80m since i walked back the same path he came from) just to question me?

the only reasonable conclusion i can come to is that he mistook any cam with tripod to be a "powerful camera"

blimmer said:
I can understand for not wishing to be in the pics of strangers but take into account that the 3X zoom is not enough to snipe in on him. What say you if I told you he walked over 50m (closer to 80m since i walked back the same path he came from) just to question me?

the only reasonable conclusion i can come to is that he mistook any cam with tripod to be a "powerful camera"

if they are polite, maybe i might share some pointers with them. but if they are rude, i will simply ignore them at all. Some singaporean think they can be very bossy which i dont give a damn...:sweat:

Just to share an experience many years ago.

I was in a tour group in LA. In one of the street, there was this very gigantic Kobe Bryant adidas wall poster. A fellow tourist in our group was going to take a picture of that poster. Right at the foot of the wall was a big black guy seating on a bench. When the black saw the tourist taking picture, he became very angry and he stood up and shouted something. I was somewhere (with a SLR) behind the fellow tourist and we were about 10m-20m from the wall/man. The black started walking towards us and shouting. I was quite scared, and so is the tourist. I act blur and pretended that I dont know the tourist and quickly walked away.:sweat: The tourist was just as worried and he also quickly keep his camera and ran.

That was my first trip with a SLR and from then on, I was always very mindful of taking pictures of strangers.

OCP said:
Just to share an experience many years ago.

I was in a tour group in LA. In one of the street, there was this very gigantic Kobe Bryant adidas wall poster. A fellow tourist in our group was going to take a picture of that poster. Right at the foot of the wall was a big black guy seating on a bench. When the black saw the tourist taking picture, he became very angry and he stood up and shouted something. I was somewhere (with a SLR) behind the fellow tourist and we were about 10m-20m from the wall/man. The black started walking towards us and shouting. I was quite scared, and so is the tourist. I act blur and pretended that I dont know the tourist and quickly walked away.:sweat: The tourist was just as worried and he also quickly keep his camera and ran.

That was my first trip with a SLR and from then on, I was always very mindful of taking pictures of strangers.

Some people are like that....weird though, don't know what they're actually thinking or the purpose of them doing these.

be friendly....very very friendly.... an award winning smile wins ppl all the time...hahah

Snoweagle said:
Some people are like that....weird though, don't know what they're actually thinking or the purpose of them doing these.
you have to understand not everyone is keen to have their pics taken
especially if its future use would be unknown or worse used to implicate them in a certain situation. crooks fear cameras and surveillence the most but its not limited to them

generally I've not met any hostile americans. most of those i met are the younger generation and they love to pose in front of the camera. suits me just fine.

Witness said:
be friendly....very very friendly.... an award winning smile wins ppl all the time...hahah

doesnt works all the time, sometime, seeing some ppl i just have no mood to smile... :embrass:
ended up wont take any pic also. hurhur.

hahaha maybe ya award winning smile still not award enuff..... practice la pracitce... will be better one...hahahaha...... :D

blimmer said:
you have to understand not everyone is keen to have their pics taken
especially if its future use would be unknown or worse used to implicate them in a certain situation. crooks fear cameras and surveillence the most but its not limited to them

generally I've not met any hostile americans. most of those i met are the younger generation and they love to pose in front of the camera. suits me just fine.

Yeah i agree...

just a thought though.... if using a telephoto lets say 200-300mm would it still be obvious to strangers on the street that we are taking them? Also, lets say we are doing a night shot, is it possible to shoot street photography using a long lens. I think by the time the exposure of 20s is over the subject would have moved..... or am i wrong to say that.... any ideas? :think:

duhduh83 said:
just a thought though.... if using a telephoto lets say 200-300mm would it still be obvious to strangers on the street that we are taking them? Also, lets say we are doing a night shot, is it possible to shoot street photography using a long lens. I think by the time the exposure of 20s is over the subject would have moved..... or am i wrong to say that.... any ideas? :think:

Don't think that's the best option...maybe unless your lens is a f/2.8 one.

So its right to say that its impossible to take people on the streets at night.... haha.... thats one thing i am puzzled by too... ive never seen any photos with a slightest attempt to capture people at night or evening when there is low light.... maybe its just a limitation.... :dunno:

Snoweagle said:
Don't think that's the best option...maybe unless your lens is a f/2.8 one.

duhduh83 said:
So its right to say that its impossible to take people on the streets at night.... haha.... thats one thing i am puzzled by too... ive never seen any photos with a slightest attempt to capture people at night or evening when there is low light.... maybe its just a limitation.... :dunno:

Can but either u use flash or ask the person to stand still then use a tripod to take.

duhduh83 said:

It's still possible with a 50mm F1.4 at ISO 1600.

Zack said:
It's still possible with a 50mm F1.4 at ISO 1600.

I tried some cats in the street at 5+am and they didnt turn out well at iso 1600. will post the link later after i finish playing with the raw

Status
Not open for further replies.