Pentax To Announce the K-3 Full Frame DSLR At Photokina

If you don't make big prints, only view the photos on screens or web (like most of us do nowadays), I don't think you'd see much difference in IQ between an APSC or FF sensor unless pixel peeping.

And I agree bigger sensor doesn't mean better image. It's not the camera which makes the photo, but the photographer :)

Still one cannot help but imagine, a FF with iso capability of the K5. Personally for me since i work in stadium or worse lighting, it would be amazing.

By the way, any idea when a "Preview" review of the K-30 will be coming out. Since most likely using pre-production firmware and sensor, i wont ask how the pics are but can anyone demo the shutter noise or the buffer with an Extreme Pro Sandisk card to see how many jpegs it can fire at max resolution in or is the buffer large and quick enough for undisturbed shooting all the way till card full? Can the camera AF track subject movement quickly and importantly can it lock on dark or close to black subjects?

Side-track a bit, how big can aps-c print? I wanna print big photos to hang up in my flat but i don't wanna buy a FF camera just for that...

I made some 18-inch prints from my K10D (10mp) and K20D (14mp) hung in my home, I'm sure photos from a K5 can easily make 30-inch prints.

just want to know for all those who question the need for FF and its advantages... have you use 1 extensively ? Have you experience it enough ? Pls dun tell me you shoot film blah blah blah... ya i shoot film too but its different...

get 1 use it then you tell me what you think about it... before saying whats FF for blah blah blah....

the only thing i dun like its the size and weight of it... everything else all i can say is once you taste it... there is no going back...

and FF will always be a premium... be it 5 or 10 or 100yrs down the road, unless its going EOF...

Still one cannot help but imagine, a FF with iso capability of the K5. Personally for me since i work in stadium or worse lighting, it would be amazing.

By the way, any idea when a "Preview" review of the K-30 will be coming out. Since most likely using pre-production firmware and sensor, i wont ask how the pics are but can anyone demo the shutter noise or the buffer with an Extreme Pro Sandisk card to see how many jpegs it can fire at max resolution in or is the buffer large and quick enough for undisturbed shooting all the way till card full? Can the camera AF track subject movement quickly and importantly can it lock on dark or close to black subjects?

As I replied your thread on the other forum, the preproduction units can't even work reliably, it locks up quite often. There is no way we can do the tests as what you asked for. The shutter isn't the same one as in the final product (words from Pentax), but so far we can feel it's somewhere between K5 and K-r while more closer to K-r shutter.

Side-track a bit, how big can aps-c print? I wanna print big photos to hang up in my flat but i don't wanna buy a FF camera just for that...

Mm. Pretty big. I printed a 20R (20" x 24") photo before using a K-7 file, and it looks more than fine. :)

You can see the size here, with people beside it for scale:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....338094716202568.91477.336990236313016&type=1

I did A1 print (33inch X 23.4inch) from E1 (2005 1st 4/3 cameras) with 5megapixel, looks great.
for APS-C sensor (slightly larger than 4/3), I dun see it has issue on A1, or potentially up to A0 (46.8 x 33.1inch).

just want to know for all those who question the need for FF and its advantages... have you use 1 extensively ? Have you experience it enough ? Pls dun tell me you shoot film blah blah blah... ya i shoot film too but its different...

get 1 use it then you tell me what you think about it... before saying whats FF for blah blah blah....

the only thing i dun like its the size and weight of it... everything else all i can say is once you taste it... there is no going back...

and FF will always be a premium... be it 5 or 10 or 100yrs down the road, unless its going EOF...

No, no and no. I am very ignorant about this. :)

But what I know: I won't want a bigger or heavier set-up. For current FF cameras, they don't appeal to me. In future, who knows?

And I don't think anyone is saying there's no upsides to FF, or that FF is not better. It's indeed better in many ways (dof, IQ, etc), it has clear advantages. True.

What is being questioned is, do most of us *need* it? Will it make a difference to our daily photography needs and the way we display our photos? If it does for you, great. But there're people who have gone the FF path and then come back to APSC, just as there are also those who have gone there and never returned. No right or wrong, just expressing our opinions.

Cheers!

As I replied your thread on the other forum, the preproduction units can't even work reliably, it locks up quite often. There is no way we can do the tests as what you asked for. The shutter isn't the same one as in the final product (words from Pentax), but so far we can feel it's somewhere between K5 and K-r while more closer to K-r shutter.

Alrighty, thanks.

I did A1 print (33inch X 23.4inch) from E1 (2005 1st 4/3 cameras) with 5megapixel, looks great.
for APS-C sensor (slightly larger than 4/3), I dun see it has issue on A1, or potentially up to A0 (46.8 x 33.1inch).

Ok, I'm doing some serious side-tracking. (Sorry.)

What's the largest print anyone here has ever made? The photo taken by which camera? And for what purpose? Just curious. :p

Thats like what I say... If u have not use it... All talk is just talk... wouldn't it be more meaningful if u use it and comment about it... Sure not all will like it need it or whatever... But at least it's base on actual experience...

Owning a Ferrari will not make me a better driver... And I dun own 1... But would I like to have 1 sure why not... But would I say owning a Ferrari is a waste of money since it dun serve any purpose other than taking me from point A to point B ? I wouldn't know since I dun own 1... Maybe 1 day I will let u know... But whatever case it will be base on actual user experience...

Thats like what I say... If u have not use it... All talk is just talk... wouldn't it be more meaningful if u use it and comment about it... Sure not all will like it need it or whatever... But at least it's base on actual experience...

Owning a Ferrari will not make me a better driver... And I dun own 1... But would I like to have 1 sure why not... But would I say owning a Ferrari is a waste of money since it dun serve any purpose other than taking me from point A to point B ? I wouldn't know since I dun own 1... Maybe 1 day I will let u know... But whatever case it will be base on actual user experience...

Eh, I based my comments and opinions on others' comments and opinions (some of whom are learned, experienced folks who have used the equipment). I find they make sense, what they say is logical. (It's also clear I didn't diss FF cameras, or the need for it.)

The only specific 'flaw' of FF I mentioned was about being unable to see any difference on screen/online compared to smaller sensor pixs.. I have seen for myself before and agree. (As for actual usage of FF cameras, I didn't say anything negative about it or that it's a waste of money.) Based on cannot-see-difference-online issue, I said I think I won't need FF, and probably it applies for others in my shoes as well. I hope I'm allowed to say that. :)

But yup, in the end, my talk is just talk; I thought people already are aware of this. Anyway, you're right -- I agree only those who have used the stuff can comment meaningfully. And I don't claim to have done this.

Very heavy leh... I guess it will be more useful for portraits, like I said, at least have option... I know I have seen some nice photos taken with a FF camera with 85mm F/1.2 L wide open... The subject isolation is not achievable with CF and 85mm f/1.4.. But for my uses, don't think I will ever shoot that type of photograph. :bsmilie:

Very heavy leh... I guess it will be more useful for portraits, like I said, at least have option... I know I have seen some nice photos taken with a FF camera with 85mm F/1.2 L wide open... The subject isolation is not achievable with CF and 85mm f/1.4.. But for my uses, don't think I will ever shoot that type of photograph. :bsmilie:

shoot cat the cat fur si beh chio... can isolate every strand leh... i often shoot with 1 hand... good for building muscle, young children nowadays drink expensive milk powder, gain alot of weight very fast...

shoot cat the cat fur si beh chio... can isolate every strand leh... i often shoot with 1 hand... good for building muscle, young children nowadays drink expensive milk powder, gain alot of weight very fast...

I only shoot cat face la.... And want the whole face in focus! :p

Eh, I based my comments and opinions on others' comments and opinions (some of whom are learned, experienced folks who have used the equipment). I find they make sense, what they say is logical. (It's also clear I didn't diss FF cameras, or the need for it.)

The only specific 'flaw' of FF I mentioned was about being unable to see any difference on screen/online compared to smaller sensor pixs.. I have seen for myself before and agree. (As for actual usage of FF cameras, I didn't say anything negative about it or that it's a waste of money.) Based on cannot-see-difference-online issue, I said I think I won't need FF, and probably it applies for others in my shoes as well. I hope I'm allowed to say that. :)

But yup, in the end, my talk is just talk; I thought people already are aware of this. Anyway, you're right -- I agree only those who have used the stuff can comment meaningfully. And I don't claim to have done this.

i educate as an engineer... and maybe my brain is engineer brain.. i only believe in facts and figures... not base on people talk and opinions... ppl say this food is nice... and i tell my wife this food is nice because i heard that uncle say this food is nice... we go eat than found out its not nice... then kena left right center from wife... so lesson learn... so now ppl say this food is nice... i will go eat first then tell my wife...

i educate as an engineer... and maybe my brain is engineer brain.. i only believe in facts and figures... not base on people talk and opinions... ppl say this food is nice... and i tell my wife this food is nice because i heard that uncle say this food is nice... we go eat than found out its not nice... then kena left right center from wife... so lesson learn... so now ppl say this food is nice... i will go eat first then tell my wife...

Your approach is sound and makes sense; I see where you're coming from.

But I hope you also can see where I'm coming from. :)

Never had a FF dSLR, but used quite a few, mostly friends copies. As you said, I just don't like the size and weight, and the IQ gain won't do me much good. I won't like it if they can't make the bodies/lenses smaller. The IQ can be different from a FF to APSC, but the difference is much less than a Ferrari to a Latio. I don't mind having/driving a Ferrari ;p, but I don't fancy carrying a FF dSLR around for long that's for sure. If I wanted/needed an FF, I'd have got one long time ago.

If Pentax can make a FF body close to the size/weight of a K5 (which I'm sure they will ;)), I'd be very interested. But if they make one like a D800 or 5DIII, I'd stick w/ my K5 that's for sure.

For pros like our Reportage, they make money by taking photos, I'm sure they don't mind carrying a bit extra load if the money is good. But for most consumers (me included), I'd say a smaller and lighter camera with good enough IQ would be a better choice.

If you look around here at the forum or DPR, you can see a lot guys (including quite some FF owners) moved to m4/3 system due to its small size and good enough IQ. But I myself just dumped my m4/3 and changed to an even smaller X-10 :D

Last edited: