Pentax Strobist -Session#1 - Pls share your shots and learnings here

Special lighting from the side up that is supposed to point to the camera lens( but duno wat is the name called)
side_back_effect.JPG

Ha..ha.. nice shot :)

Its just using a back light to create a flare. (don't think there is a term for it)

For the butterfly lighting, nice try, maybe the shadows in the chin area can be lightened a bit, but I don't think your son will cooperate to hold a reflector. :D
Nice ones, and good to see you try out the lighting. Keep it up and keep them coming.

I have one with reflector on his leg. :)

Pentax Strobist Homework 1 - butterfly lighting by shining camera, on Flickr

It's was a great learning outing organised by JK. Many thanks to him and also Greg for a super good venue and also Martini for dropping by to assist in teaching. Think all of us has learn a great deal.

Greg, special thanks to lend me a SD Card which i even forget to bring.. Will return you when we meet during our outing.

I did not took much photo and since the event coverage shoots has been shared, i would be only share one shot with lens flare.

Went to EOY Cosplay Event and bump into Martini .. YEAH!! Tried using his Strobe Light for the shots below:

Using the available Reflector of people for this shot.

Thanks to Yama for the light stand, I try to use my wireless trigger, flash and a simple soft box (which i only have)

Lucky Martini was also there, so took even more advice on the set up. Tried to set it to about 1.6m height so I could have half body shots..
Sharing some here in another post, not sure if i am doing it right or wrong :p

With my noob light set up.

Did PP abit as some shots are slightly underexpose also..

Thanks JK for the teaching, Greg for helping with the venue and Martini for coming down to help

1) trying to use a flash to create the shadow (as seen in some horror movies.but i guess it wasnt that successful)

14808900452_0b514dc5c4_z.jpg

2) Getting the flare look (have to thanks the professional light holder for the help)

14622717327_4c990b41c5_z.jpg

3) Trying the flare look at home

14838964213_43533b830a_z.jpg

Thanks JK for the teaching, Greg for helping with the venue and Martini for coming down to help

1) trying to use a flash to create the shadow (as seen in some horror movies.but i guess it wasnt that successful)

2) Getting the flare look (have to thanks the professional light holder for the help)

14622717327_4c990b41c5_z.jpg

3) Trying the flare look at home

14838964213_43533b830a_z.jpg

Man, I wished I was there with you guys. Could not go as I have a church event. My son was getting confirmed.

Went to EOY Cosplay Event and bump into Martini .. YEAH!! Tried using his Strobe Light for the shots below:

Good start with those results.
Next thing to ask yourself is :
1. How the lighting suits a character or not? (eg. Angelic = bright; Demonic = dark )
2. How the lighting angle suits the character or not? (eg. Heroic=loop lighting or looking into the light; Mysterious/Dark = side light/Rembrandt lighting; Pretty Cosplayer - maybe can do butterfly lighting; etc)

Also, think about what you want the lighting do for you.
1. As a fill light
2. For better separation? (eg. Key shifting)
3. Or just for better lighting as ambient lighting is poor
etc

my few cents..

Good start with those results.
Next thing to ask yourself is :
1. How the lighting suits a character or not? (eg. Angelic = bright; Demonic = dark )
2. How the lighting angle suits the character or not? (eg. Heroic=loop lighting or looking into the light; Mysterious/Dark = side light/Rembrandt lighting; Pretty Cosplayer - maybe can do butterfly lighting; etc)

Also, think about what you want the lighting do for you.
1. As a fill light
2. For better separation? (eg. Key shifting)
3. Or just for better lighting as ambient lighting is poor
etc

my few cents..

Ok.. More to ponders on..

Martini did share on the above on which lighting suits the character. Therefore, when using his strobe lighting, I can get a feel of the difference.

But when i am using my own set up, I was busy thinking if I can get a good clean picture instead of thinking too much.

As i am bringing my light stand and walking around, the lighting/exposure of each location is different. So I just kept a constant of my flash power, occasionally, I did some adjustments on my aperture.

Some of my own thoughts when i was trying:
1. Distance/Angle of flash also make an impact on the picture.
2. Type of shoot you want to achieve, half body, full body and only the head shot. Not sure if my constant flash power set up is correct to do for all.

Maybe I should invest in a flash box or a beauty dish to try out the butterfly lighting and to station at a particular place.
Walking around with light stand not fun, especially if the model is crowded by so many photographers. However, with that set up, most likely to get the cosplayer attention to look at my side though. Hee..

But just a question, during PP, for example, if you felt that there is too much shadows/blacks, would you adjust to bring the shadows/blacks point to brighten (Not sure what the word to use) it more? Sometime, I felt when I'm editing, i tend to make everything look more brighter though.

Martini did share on the above on which lighting suits the character. Therefore, when using his strobe lighting, I can get a feel of the difference.

But when i am using my own set up, I was busy thinking if I can get a good clean picture instead of thinking too much.

As i am bringing my light stand and walking around, the lighting/exposure of each location is different. So I just kept a constant of my flash power, occasionally, I did some adjustments on my aperture.

2. Type of shoot you want to achieve, half body, full body and only the head shot. Not sure if my constant flash power set up is correct to do for all.

Maybe I should invest in a flash box or a beauty dish to try out the butterfly lighting and to station at a particular place.
Walking around with light stand not fun, especially if the model is crowded by so many photographers. However, with that set up, most likely to get the cosplayer attention to look at my side though. Hee..

But just a question, during PP, for example, if you felt that there is too much shadows/blacks, would you adjust to bring the shadows/blacks point to brighten (Not sure what the word to use) it more? Sometime, I felt when I'm editing, i tend to make everything look more brighter though.

I was breathing down your neck with all the technical terms n settings. Hope i didnt kill your interest. Lol.

Try thinking simple first. The purpose is use light to give a 3d pop on the subject with the consideration how "dark" you want the environment vs your subject. The darker the environment (low key) . the more dramatic the overall feel.

A casual example . For a very dramatic feel in a bright sunny day sometimes 1 will need to drop -4 to -5ev to darken the environment abit. For "brighter" shoots. Maybe i will just -1 to -2ev from environment. That basically how i got my shoots i show u at EOY.

Last edited:

I Like this one... there is a horror movie taste.

It's was a great learning outing organised by JK. Many thanks to him and also Greg for a super good venue and also Martini for dropping by to assist in teaching. Think all of us has learn a great deal.

Greg, special thanks to lend me a SD Card which i even forget to bring.. Will return you when we meet during our outing.
You're welcome. Yeah,just pass to me when we meet next time. No hurry at all.

Good to see that you have some considerations to think over.
IMO, no right or wrong answer.
If you don't mind lugging the stuff around and can get shots this way or is quick to find good bkgnds then no harm doing it.
Else, finding a good bkgnd and camping on that spot is good too.
Its easier if there is a helper (or tag team) :D

I take a chance to touch on PP.
The first thing to consider is a crop.
Simplify the shot to its base element.
IMO, it usually gives better focus on the subject and what the photographer is trying to convey.

As for the query on shadow recovery.
I will adjust shadows to taste.
We can't expect the camera to always do the right thing for us as its basically only giving us a linear tonal response (eg. the straight line of the tone curve in your editing program)
Usually our eyes see more dynamic range so camera straight capture often is not how we remember we saw the scene.
But again, what we saw, may not be what we want. :D
So we may want real harsh contrast for some shots to better carry across the idea we want.

i think it really depend on the situation and what kind of mood you want to present...photography is more of an art rather than science..

trying out more at the comfort of home...

its not easy to take a selfie..have to keep taking test shots to get the lighting in the correct place..in total i think i took about 100+ photos just to get a few more presentable photos

1)Flash on a stand at the bottom left of the picture. This is to try to create a more mysterious and scary look as i feel that lights at the side tend to make the person (especially guys) more mysterious looking while lights at the bottom gave the person a scary look. So with only 1 flash..i try to make do and put it somewhere in between

14848586083_c6baa487ae_z.jpg

2)Flash on a stand placed behind me and angled upwards towards my left shoulder. I placed the flash behind as i wanted to created a more 'separation look' with lights around the shoulder n head area but think this wasnt very successful. Similarly by bounching the flash upwards and to 1 side..i am trying to light up part of the mask for a more mysterious look

14825658141_cc5404340a_z.jpg

for both pics, i change the white balance to give it a blueish look (i find it more suited to my liking) although i think i could have also gel to change the colour

trying out more at the comfort of home...

its not easy to take a selfie..have to keep taking test shots to get the lighting in the correct place..in total i think i took about 100+ photos just to get a few more presentable photos

1)Flash on a stand at the bottom left of the picture. This is to try to create a more mysterious and scary look as i feel that lights at the side tend to make the person (especially guys) more mysterious looking while lights at the bottom gave the person a scary look. So with only 1 flash..i try to make do and put it somewhere in between

2)Flash on a stand placed behind me and angled upwards towards my left shoulder. I placed the flash behind as i wanted to created a more 'separation look' with lights around the shoulder n head area but think this wasnt very successful. Similarly by bounching the flash upwards and to 1 side..i am trying to light up part of the mask for a more mysterious look

for both pics, i change the white balance to give it a blueish look (i find it more suited to my liking) although i think i could have also gel to change the colour

Looks good. You are a fast learning.