Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.2?

Brianskivvy

Dec 22, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a kx (film) from a forumer but he mentioned that it comes with a the M 50mm F1.2 lens. I've owned the f1.7 version but couldn't find any information on this f1.2 version. The only information I've gathered is the K f1.2 version.

Any old timers here especially Mr. friendly FW can advise here and provide any feedback here?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a kx (film) from a forumer but he mentioned that it comes with a the M 50mm F1.2 lens. I've owned the f1.7 version but couldn't find any information on this f1.2 version. The only information I've gathered is the K f1.2 version.

Any old timers here especially Mr. friendly FW can advise here and provide any feedback here?

Thanks

Don't think it's an M 1.2. Only K and A versions.

I think he means it's a M50/2. I bet you got confused by the 50 1:2 eh? ;)

Haha yes it is 50mm f2 , not f1.2

I already checked with him as 1.2 for that price:sweatsm: (boguht a mx + 50mm f1.4 from him)

Normally on the old lenses they put f1:2 = f2 and f1:1.2 = f1.2 :sweat:

Thanks guys, I feel like a noobcake.

Anyway, I'm new to the 35mm film slr and I am wondering if there's any issue with loading up films if the film rewind lever does not voluntarily return back after film rewind.

As this is a cheap way to introduce me to film photography but I don't want to get stucked with a white elephant.

Thanks guys, I feel like a noobcake.

Anyway, I'm new to the 35mm film slr and I am wondering if there's any issue with loading up films if the film rewind lever does not voluntarily return back after film rewind.

As this is a cheap way to introduce me to film photography but I don't want to get stucked with a white elephant.

I don't think it would be much of a problem , but it may be irritating.

But having a film camera can be fun ! Can "see,see" the inside as dont need to worry about dust ... I definetly learned alot about how the camera works just by "experimenting" with it.
Yea im the hands kind of guys and can't resist opening up the camera :sweatsm::sweat:

hey brian, for an old film slr, i think its good to send to a doctor for a check up aka CLA. If you think it's good to go, just try out with a cheap film first.

My MX has a slow shutter at 1s exposure ...

can hear the timer slower than normal and when i timed it , it was about 1.3-1.7 secs...
anyway it dosen't bother me that much as i hardly, if ever use 1 sec exposure ,even so can still bulb mode:sweatsm:

When I say that you were going to get a old camera that came with a 50/1.2, I thought you picked up gold :D

Too bad its a mis-interpretation. :(

Hi guys,

Thanks

Well, I guess you've got your answers by now :)

Kx is a very nice film camera, better built than M series (MX/ME/ME Super ...) and A series (SuperA/SuperProgram/ProgramA/Program Plus ...). Use wise it's almost exactly like the MX except Kx doesn't have interchangeable focusing screen, and it has a needle inside the viewfinder to indicate the exposure value (quite a few users prefer this than the LED lights in an MX).

Just like Charlie said above, if you find a good copy of the camera, make sure to get it CLAed by a reputable shop, so you'd enjoy using it for another 20 years :)

IF CLA how much is the cost roughly?

hey brian, for an old film slr, i think its good to send to a doctor for a check up aka CLA. If you think it's good to go, just try out with a cheap film first.

Hey thanks Charlie for the tips, what's CLA anyway?

When I say that you were going to get a old camera that came with a 50/1.2, I thought you picked up gold :D

Too bad its a mis-interpretation. :(

Yeah man I also thought I won Toto

Well, I guess you've got your answers by now :)

Kx is a very nice film camera, better built than M series (MX/ME/ME Super ...) and A series (SuperA/SuperProgram/ProgramA/Program Plus ...). Use wise it's almost exactly like the MX except Kx doesn't have interchangeable focusing screen, and it has a needle inside the viewfinder to indicate the exposure value (quite a few users prefer this than the LED lights in an MX).

Just like Charlie said above, if you find a good copy of the camera, make sure to get it CLAed by a reputable shop, so you'd enjoy using it for another 20 years :)

Thanks Frank for the review, any recommendation on shops which i can send for checkup?

CLA = Clean, Lube, Adjust

IF CLA how much is the cost roughly?

It'd cost around 100sgd or thereabout.

Thanks Frank for the review, any recommendation on shops which i can send for checkup?

I'd recommend the Camera Hospital: Sunshine Plaza #01-67, look for Steven.

I myself have cleaned quite a few manual cameras, replaced the light seals and mirror bumper foam. It's not too difficult, but quite tedious and laborious. I can't do lube or adjustment though.