Pentax Q up on official site

i didn't know that u did lomo? :)

i would get one just for fun if its not too ex.

Was a lomo fan before jump into Pentax. But eversince using DSLR, I always scared to tune the image to lomo. haha. Thats why I dun do much nowadays. unlike last time. Also a reason why I love using film cameras like super program & MG with Lomo films. but its not fun. So now I bought a Lomo LC-A for it that cost expensive to me :( .

Anyways, will wait for the APS-C version as what Pinholecam has stated. I seriously think Pentax do cater this camera for LOMO users. since the Dial knob at the front is for Creative film colors.

ZURPENTAXQ-VERT400.JPG

Looking forward to the samples!

Last edited:
Samples from IR seem to show that its likely usable up to ISO1600. Personally, I wouldn't expect a 'fun', secondary pns type camera to support above ISO800 anyway. (But how come samples are so small in size?). Nice, enough ISO800 + off camera flash use will really be good enough for most cases with this type of camera (ie. not mission critical).
The black colored model looks pretty nice actually.

See what the rumored APS-C version has to offer first.

This is nice though...
ZURPENTAXQ-VERT400.JPG

Thanks for highlighting this. What a relief. :)

That size is sick.

Still, the price..

That size is sick.

Still, the price..

Come to think of it, if I bundle it up with a bunch of keys and try to take candid photos of ppl, they will think I am 'siao' :D

Come to think of it, if I bundle it up with a bunch of keys and try to take candid photos of ppl, they will think I am 'siao' :D

I think it's an interesting concept, though to be honest I don't have much faith in it taking off.

You never know though... But my sense is there are too many people caring too much about sensor size, this or that... At the end of the day I think we all forget that loads of people made great pictures with them old 4 megapixel cameras with horrible noise control.

Of course, a larger sensor will offer more flexbility... :) But the compact size is really cool on this one, and that is the part which would be attractive I guess. That and the fact that you have some cool lenses like the 160 degree fisheye lens.

Wonder how much the lenses would cost as well.

I am a bit disappointed the sensor is so small.... I was hoping for a ~M43 sensor size.
Unless Pentax can do magic... I doubt it will perform close to a M43 camera.
The GF3 is 220g vs Q at 180g... so the Q is not that small for its sensor size.

I am curious... 50mm ~300mm on the Q... but wouldn't it also mean ~f10.2 since the small sensor only get 1/6 the light.

Don't be. You are obviously not the target market for this camera. Pentax is releasing 2 range this year according to the literature. One is a PnS with interchangeable lenses for those who want a small compact size but with flexibility. The other range is expected to be an APS-C sized mirrorless camera similar to the NEX series. That one is not out yet. Its rumoured to be having a k-mount which means all lenses currently available can be used.

But man, a 1/2.3" sensor with ISO6400. Ridiculous. They could have at least gone with a 1/1.6" sensor instead but remember, they have an APS-C sized product coming, so they can afford to put in a small sensor so that everything can be kept small since they are not trying to do both. :)

ZURPENTAXQ-VERT400.JPG

Looking forward to the samples!

Oh man!! That IS small. I can't tell from the original picture and even when next to the new NEX C3 its difficult to gauge but this one really shows why they need a 1/2.3" sensor. But don't you all think it looks so much like the GF2?
And another thing, with this size, maybe it will be sold inside plastic balls at the slot machines! "Insert 1,400x50-cent coins please"!!

the sensor is a little too small though...even smaller than good compact cameras.

Its around 40% smaller than compact cameras like Olympus XZ-1 and Panasonic LX5.... even Canon's S95 has a 35% larger sensor than the Pentax Q...

its pixel density might be worse than those compact cameras...

squeezing 12mp into a sensor that is 40% smaller than XZ-1...

Last edited:
the sensor is a little too small though...even smaller than good compact cameras.

Its around 40% smaller than compact cameras like Olympus XZ-1 and Panasonic LX5.... even Canon's S95 has a 35% larger sensor than the Pentax Q...

its pixel density might be worse than those compact cameras...

squeezing 12mp into a sensor that is 40% smaller than XZ-1...

Imaging resource already posted some sample images from the camera this afternoon but immediately they removed it... so far I could see that the images it is at par with XZ-1 and LX5 if not better... what I don't like is that the image looks flat...

Last edited:
OMG, I can see myself owning this camera!
I think I got to see a doctor quick... lol

OMG, I can see myself owning this camera!
I think I got to see a doctor quick... lol

why? i also want one... i'm not seeing a doctor ;p

its a cute piece of equipment. IQ, based on the sample pix posted, is no worse than a decent PNS. the NR seems to have done a good job for the high ISO pix.

but based on chatter elsewhere, there seems to be a lot of venom and denial flying around :bsmilie: all predicting doom and gloom for pentax for introducing such a "fail" product because its not an APS-C sensor and its not K-mount :what:

as long as we recognise it for what it is - a novel, high-end PNS with interchangeable lens - it makes sense.

Imaging resource already posted some sample images from the camera this afternoon but immediately they removed it... so far I could see that the images it is at par with XZ-1 and LX5 if not better... what I don't like is that the image looks flat...

No PP yet since they were test shots. In fact, I think they did not display a full 12mp file, the image looked small. Furthermore, its version 0.3 firmware. The latter is probably the reason the images are pulled down for now.

I think it's an interesting concept, though to be honest I don't have much faith in it taking off.

You never know though... But my sense is there are too many people caring too much about sensor size, this or that... At the end of the day I think we all forget that loads of people made great pictures with them old 4 megapixel cameras with horrible noise control.

Of course, a larger sensor will offer more flexbility...But the compact size is really cool on this one, and that is the part which would be attractive I guess. That and the fact that you have some cool lenses like the 160 degree fisheye lens.

Wonder how much the lenses would cost as well.

I can only keep my fingers crossed and vote with my wallet (if its not too expensive) :)
Yeah, I guess marketing ppl have realized that the MP race is a dead end road now, so the new marketing hype is on ISO, sensor size and f1.x lens (even in the compacts).
Many ppl are caught up in the sensor size thing, and comparing this to a u4/3 or DSLR, when in fact this is just a pns camera with changeable lenses.
By its magnesium build, button interface, lens options, I can see it as both a fashion statement as well as an advanced pns to rival the likes of LX5, GXR, G13.

why? i also want one... i'm not seeing a doctor ;p

its a cute piece of equipment. IQ, based on the sample pix posted, is no worse than a decent PNS. the NR seems to have done a good job for the high ISO pix.

but based on chatter elsewhere, there seems to be a lot of venom and denial flying around :bsmilie: all predicting doom and gloom for pentax for introducing such a "fail" product because its not an APS-C sensor and its not K-mount :what:

as long as we recognise it for what it is - a novel, high-end PNS with interchangeable lens - it makes sense.

Aiya! PF is full of lens and camera designers :D
Totally agree with you that is a high end PNS, so totally silly to compare to DSLRs.

This one makes my day :D

ZD3XKEY.JPG