Pentax K Mount Lens on Canon EOS 300D

Status
Not open for further replies.

CY_OH

Jun 24, 2004
Ang Mo Kio
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

This is a similar post to the one on dpreview. I have read that it is difficult/impossible/troublesome to adapt K mount lenses to use to Canon EOS mount. I loaned a Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) from school for an event and decided to see for myseld how the combination would work.

The lens aligned the lens aligning mark on the 12 o'clock postion and held the lens in that position. It fitted and there was no gap between the lens and body. I could even spin the lens around the mount.

Focusing was possible, though any slight movement of the lens away/towards the lens mount would shift the focus. There was little or no shift in distance on the focusing scale when viewfinder image is in focus. However, after removing the lens, I found some faint scratch marks inside the lens mount caused by the aperture lever when I spinned the lens, but camera is functional. Not sure if a purely EF mount body would make any difference.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any losses/damages due attempts to mount Pentax lens on a Canon body or Canon lens on Pentax body.

The 18-55mm kit lens could not fit my Pentax Z-1 in any way. Focusing to get a sharp image in viewfinder was not possible. Next three photos taken with Pentax Optio S30.

Here is a picture of a Tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6 XR held onto the EOS 300D.
3633429-lg.jpg

Picture of scratch marks in lens mount. They can be seen at the left and bottom.
3633436-lg.jpg

Pentax K 18mm f3.5 on 300D. Tried to do some side by side test shots but they turned out out of focus.
3633440-lg.jpg

I took some shots outdoor at Carnival@Marina. I used the 300D after finishing one roll of film. Metering was taken from the Pentax Z-1 I used earlier, and adjusted based on histogram if needed. It was a pain to hold the lens, adjust focus and zoom at the same time. I had many out of focus shots partly due to this and the f8 aperture I was using.

Here are the pictures straight from camera, not changes except resizing. The two shots are taken at ISO 200, f8 and 1/640s.

3633449-lg.jpg

Approximately 135mm focal length as indicated on lens barrel.

3633447-lg.jpg

Approximately 200mm focal length as indicated on lens barrel.

can I buy your 18mm f3.5 SMC Pentax for a cheap price?

ricohflex said:
can I buy your 18mm f3.5 SMC Pentax for a cheap price?
Sorry, lens is not for sale. If you look up Ebay, this lens is not common and not cheap either at US$500+ or more.

xdivider said:
File off the apperture coupler? This is from PDML. Someone sells a K to EOS coupler but to put it on u have to file off the coupler, thus making it stopdown only on K and EOS.

http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss%40pdml.net/msg269021.html
I read PDML posts via the archive. It is often said that the aperture coupler has to be removed to use Pentax lens on EOS mount. The 300D was a loaned set and I wanted to see for myself the results of such a lens/body combination.

The marks were caused by turning the lens around the mount to find a fit and probably could be avoided by fitting the lens straight in. I do not own Canon EOS bodies and don't intend to change systems so buying an adapter or filing off the coupler would be impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.