Pentax K-5 at Thai Fashion Show, S'pore Oct 16: Low Light, No Flash, High ISO

amazing high iso!

zoom3 :
I'm just wondering what is your safe shutter speed on your 31mm ISO 25,000 shots and also
the White balance used.

thanks....

buaobao

In case anyone was wondering how a KX does in a similar low light, high ISO situation, here is an ISO1600 shot at a kids fashion show in Paragon a few months ago. ISO3200 also worked well. This was with a FA77 too.

4486560130_75712a401e_b.jpg

Wow! i'm sure everyone who bought K5 is happy.:thumbsup:

zoom3 :
I'm just wondering what is your safe shutter speed on your 31mm ISO 25,000 shots and also
the White balance used.

thanks....

buaobao

The ISO is 2500, not 25,000. Hope I didn't disappoint you :D

Not exactly sure what you mean by safe shutter speed but I take it to mean the minimum speed possible without getting soft pics? For the 31mm (& most other Pentax lenses) I try to stay above 1/30 sec. For the pics you see here, I try to maintain at least 1/200 sec as the models are moving most of the time.

White Balance is set to Auto.

The high iso performance is really good. Thanks for sharing. :)

The ISO is 2500, not 25,000. Hope I didn't disappoint you :D

Not exactly sure what you mean by safe shutter speed but I take it to mean the minimum speed possible without getting soft pics? For the 31mm (& most other Pentax lenses) I try to stay above 1/30 sec. For the pics you see here, I try to maintain at least 1/200 sec as the models are moving most of the time.

White Balance is set to Auto.

to zoom3:
oh yes ISO 2500, my bad. As im actually expecting minimum shutter speed of about same as the flash sync (180) is enough to decently capture when a subject is walking.

thanks man

.......buaobao

Paragon has one of the best lighting for fashion show. Got a couple of uncle with kit lens also got pretty nice pictures.

as for the Iluma, from the variety of pics...it does look like the TS got lucky and the timing was just nice with someone`s borrowed flash. Thats how it looked like to me.

TS, how is Pentax TTL now as i take it you got try using with external flash at one time or another?

Paragon has one of the best lighting for fashion show. Got a couple of uncle with kit lens also got pretty nice pictures.

as for the Iluma, from the variety of pics...it does look like the TS got lucky and the timing was just nice with someone`s borrowed flash. Thats how it looked like to me.

TS, how is Pentax TTL now as i take it you got try using with external flash at one time or another?

You must be joking!
Go take a flash on one hand and the camera on the other. Try to fire off the flash at the time you release the shutter. Let us know how it does ;) :bsmilie:

The whole reason it looked the way it looks is precisely that we have never dared venture into >ISO1600 due to either camera limitation (no higher ISO) and poorer high ISO quality. The ability of these new cameras (any brand), just brings about a paradigm shift in this area.

Has nothing to do with malls lighting, but the runway lighting. Models are moving so you need high shutter speed. Can get your fellow uncles to post some of their pictures to see?

Getting the benefit of someone else's flash popping off exactly the same time as I press the shutter is a possibility but is extremely unlikely. You aware of how short the flash duration is? I have a dozen or more shots similar to the ones posted here. If I am that lucky, I will have won 4D multiple times plus that sports car sitting in MBS by now :bsmilie:

For the runway shots, I tried to time it when the effect lights fall on the models. But as tsammyc said, it's about getting the shutter speed up to capture the moving models sharply. The high ISO enables one to do that. Many of my shots are 1/200 sec & up.

The real test of how well the K-5 handles high ISO and the quality of it's output are the 2 close up shots of the models :thumbsup: As pinholecam mentioned, a paradigm shift in how we capture light, particularly for Pentax users is required.

Re the Pentax TTL , have not tried the flash yet. Will do so in the coming days....

Last edited:
Getting the benefit of someone else's flash popping off exactly the same time as I press the shutter is a possibility but is extremely unlikely. You aware of how short the flash duration is? I have a dozen or more shots similar to the ones posted here. If I am that lucky, I will have won 4D multiple times plus that sports car sitting in MBS by now :bsmilie:

For the runway shots, I tried to time it when the effect lights fall on the models. But as tsammyc said, it's about getting the shutter speed up to capture the moving models sharply. The high ISO enables one to do that. Many of my shots are 1/200 sec & up.

The real test of how well the K-5 handles high ISO and the quality of it's output are the 2 close up shots of the models :thumbsup: As pinholecam mentioned, a paradigm shift in how we capture light, particularly for Pentax users is required.

Re the Pentax TTL , have not tried the flash yet. Will do so in the coming days....

Then you must be a famous magician or god of gamblers. :bsmilie:

Very nice. However, I think some of those female models may be men :)

I don' think so. This is something to promote Genuine Thai they do care to show real Thai girls.

Your photos made me to think again of getting a K5. I am now having K20D & K7 with lot of Pentax prime lenses.

I don' think so. This is something to promote Genuine Thai they do care to show real Thai girls.

Your photos made me to think again of getting a K5. I am now having K20D & K7 with lot of Pentax prime lenses.

Thank god for that :sweat: I am happy now :cheergal:

Okay Guys & Gals. Here are some more poison for a hot humid Monday night.
Go get that K-5 and the FA77 now for the antidote :devil:

9. Closer view of the group (as in pic #1) with the FA77. Look at the colors and details.
IMGP4959.jpg

10. No flash. Ambient light only. F5.0, 1/20", ISO2500 - you can see how low the light level was.
IMGP5021.jpg

11. My absolute favourite. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this for the first time.
IMGP5030.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent results! Really love these.

K7 users, you got reason to upgrade your camera now! :D

Nah! Not for me unless they release K5 Silver.:bsmilie:
Anyway, can make do with my son's Kr + Limiteds.:)

I don't see any Adam's Apples leh.

Maybe theyare so skillfull that they can hide the adam baoole down below....:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Maybe theyare so skillfull that they can hide the adam baoole down below....:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Stop it ! Stop it ! You spoiling my dream :hammer::bsmilie: