Pentax Japan issues Press Release on sensor issue

because i would think by now there should be a batch with the highest occurence of the issue. By revealing the affected serial numbers, only those affected will be testing for the issue.

If its as random, unless people actively check that they actually have the issue...service center will be flooded by people who want to have their sensor checked and assured its not affected.

I wonder how many people reading this thread are planning to go service center today to have it verified rather then test for it themselves. Today because i doubt Emjay service center will be open during the festive period though i could be wrong.

What is so difficult about checking the sensor by yourself? It only takes a few minutes at most and your fear that the service center will be flooded is unfounded. If you didn't know, affected K-5 owners here have been sending in their cameras for a few weeks even before this announcement was released. Kevin at Emjay has been most helpful in arranging the shipments for the affected cameras so I don't actually see what the issue you're trying to bring across. Anyone can contact Emjay to know the course of action.

Perhaps you aren't aware that serial numbers don't necessarily run consecutively as it depends on what Pentax Japan ships over in batches, so how to determine which are the affected ones. Think about it.

Wow the service notice for the K-5 is a good move, this will certainly give me more confidence to buy and recommend Pentax in the future.

If only they could deal with the other niggling issues with such decisiveness...

would any company deal with "niggling issues" with any decisiveness? :think:;)

its either serious enough to be on their priority list and urgently fixed, or not serious enough to warrant an immediate response, or any response, for that matter.

i think that while we, as consumers who have invested in the pentax system would view such an announcement positively, as a company that is transparent and open, the same announcement would freak out lots of prospective customers looking for the "perfect" camera when read out of context.

detritus - well you have to take into account that many potential buyers today are very savvy, and will conduct thorough research before dropping nearly $2k on an advanced camera. For example, I wonder how many DA* sales Pentax has lost over the years due to the spectre of SDM issues? If only they had dealt with it as decisively.

But ok lets put the past behind, I have a good feeling about the current management.

detritus - well you have to take into account that many potential buyers today are very savvy, and will conduct thorough research before dropping nearly $2k on an advanced camera. For example, I wonder how many DA* sales Pentax has lost over the years due to the spectre of SDM issues? If only they had dealt with it as decisively.

But ok lets put the past behind, I have a good feeling about the current management.

yes, agree that the current management seems to have successfully executed a clear direction to develop innovative products that meets a real need and roll them out on a regular basis.

this response to the sensor stain issue is better than the response (or lack of) relating to the historical SDM issues. it probably cost them quite a bit in sales, though it hasn't stopped me (or you) from buying SDM lenses :)

my thinking is that they are ultimately still a relatively "small" company compared to the other big players and are hampered by lack of resources and production capacity. that prevents them from aggressively pursuing market share (evident from the shortage of popular products on store shelves once in awhile).

this limitation also constrains their responses to quality problems - only "serious" problems can be tackled, and only one or two at a time, if at all.

"size" however, is mostly about mindset and risk appetite. i only hope that they can think sufficiently "big" so they can grow their market share and leverage on that growth to provide better products for us customers. :)