Status
Not open for further replies.

whoelse

Oct 17, 2003
These are the 3 X-rated model I own.
-
KX.jpg

-
Asahi Pentax KX. Years of Production:1975~1977. DOF-preview, mirror lock-up, 143 x 91.4 x 94 mm, 631g, SPD metering cell, Full Mechanical Shutter 1~1/1000 & B, A76/SR44 battery.

Rugged metal casted body, same robustness as the good old Spotmatic. Very strong shutter and easy to use match needle metering system.
-
MX.jpg

-
Asahi Pentax MX. Years of Production 1976~1985. DOF-preview, 135.8 x 82.5 x 49.3 mm, 495g, GPD metering cell, Full Mechanical Shutter 1 ~ 1/1000 & B, Interchangeable Screens, A76/SR44 battery.

Compact body, joy to use with a very quiet and smooth shutter. The shutter is so light and smooth enough to make me c-ock and fire just to feel the action. Highly magnified viewer (0.97) with 95% screen coverage.
-
LX.jpg

-
Asahi Pentax LX. Years of Production 1980~2001. DOF-preview, mirror lock-up, multiple exposures, Av & M, Off-The-Film metering modes, SPD metering cell, xposure Compensation:+/-2 (1/3 EV steps), Metering Range -6.5 ~ 20EV, Hybrid Electronic-Mechanical (horizontal-run) Titanium Shutter, Shutter Speed: 125 ~ 1/2000 & B, Mechanical Shutter without Battery: X ~ 1/2000, 98% screen coverage, Interchangeable Screens, Interchangeable Viewfinders, TTL & S Flash Automation, A76/SR44 battery.

Many call this "The King of Manual Camera". It is every better build then the KX with sealing to prevent dust and water from getting into the mechanical (not waterproof). The Titanium Shutter support mechanical speed from 1/75~1/2000 plus B mode. For low speed, it is electronically time for quartz like precision up to 1/60 to 125 seconds! The LX is Pentax's most advanced manual focus camera.

Virtually no other camera has ever offered so much flexibility, robustness, and low-light capabilities in such a small and light package. Add the silky-smooth operation of every button and each lever and the astonishing system of accessories, and you get a masterpiece.
-
TrioX.jpg

Thanks whoelse for sharing those wonderful cameras and info. Really enjoyed reading this.

Among these three, I'd love to have the MX (for its size mostly). I agree the LX is a wonderful camera, actually I ever hold and tried one. But I like small and light stuff, and the MX is just perfect match to those SMC M lenses :)

For now, I'm only shooting digital. But still enjoy coming back to film stuff once in a while.

Cheers!

The Pentax LX look really beautiful. Is the shutter loud?

Pentax is often underrated. Or should I say that Canon and Nikons are overrated?

Have been a Nikon User for many years, still stuck with it only because of one lens: 28/2.8 AIS. If not I would have dumped the whole system altogether.

What lenses do you have?

The LX shutter have enuf sealing to keep the shutter quiet. The MX is just too soft and quiet and was rated one of the quietest slr around. You have to try to feel it. These camera are good value compared with the modern marvel ofcos, I got my MX around $60+ USD if I can remember.

Lens? I have SMC-M 50mm f1.4 a few f2 version, f1.7 version, SMC-M 35mm f2.8, SMC-M 135MM f3.5, SMC-M 28mm f3.5 Many zooms and other Kmount lens. I do have other camera as well ;p

glchua said:
The Pentax LX look really beautiful. Is the shutter loud?

Pentax is often underrated. Or should I say that Canon and Nikons are overrated?

Have been a Nikon User for many years, still stuck with it only because of one lens: 28/2.8 AIS. If not I would have dumped the whole system altogether.

What lenses do you have?

Ya. I just came to realise how small the MX actually is. The Yashica GX is the mini pro version of the popular GSN. Guess how small when I place the MX beside the GX? Best, the screen is big! 0.97 magnification and 95% coverage of the viewfinder. Modern camera are maybe 77-80% coverage let alone the magnification.
->
gx_mx.jpg

-

fengwei said:
Thanks whoelse for sharing those wonderful cameras and info. Really enjoyed reading this.

Among these three, I'd love to have the MX (for its size mostly). I agree the LX is a wonderful camera, actually I ever hold and tried one. But I like small and light stuff, and the MX is just perfect match to those SMC M lenses :)

For now, I'm only shooting digital. But still enjoy coming back to film stuff once in a while.

Cheers!

whoelse said:
Ya. I just came to realise how small the MX actually is. The Yashica GX is the mini pro version of the popular GSN. Guess how small when I place the MX beside the GX? Best, the screen is big! 0.97 magnification and 95% coverage of the viewfinder. Modern camera are maybe 77-80% coverage let alone the magnification.
->
gx_mx.jpg

-
whoelse,
your pentax collection, simply awsome...;)
regretted sold mine...:angry:

Asahi Pentax LX. Years of Production 1980~2001.

hi are you selling the Asahi Pentax LX. Years of Production 1980~2001 ?
do you know here i can get one body?

tq

john

98255 742

not selling, fotographic got 1 nice LX and a mint MX on display. It's nice to handle it even you do not plan to buy. I got mine from ebay. Think Fengwei here is selling one I think...

Just to add my own personal story with my MX. I "inherited" my dad's MX, and its really nice camera, although I disliked it at first. Very fun and easy to use, nice and bright viewfinder (compared to the *istDS that is), light and small. I carry it out with the *istDS as my backup camera whenever possible.

Heretix said:
I "inherited" my dad's MX, and its really nice camera, although I disliked it at first.

I'm curious... what is/was there to dislike about the MX?

nice and bright viewfinder (compared to the *istDS that is)

If you think the MX viewfinder is bright, have a look at Minolta SLRs of the same era (early 80's, e.g. XG series) and be blown away. :)

It's depressing how bad viewfinders have become in the autofocus age, at least for entry-/midrange SLRs.

thnaks.

Re: Pentax Classic - X rated model.
not selling, fotographic got 1 nice LX and a mint MX on display.

you know how much is he willing to sell?

It's nice to handle it even you do not plan to buy. I got mine from ebay. Think Fengwei here is selling one I think...

how to reach fengwei ?

tq

john

pentax user/fan

Fengwei got post on this thread, guess u can pm him. Fotographic probably not cheap since the one they have look almost new to me. But it is nice to ask to try out to see how it handles, buy dun buy another qns :)

whoelse said:
Fengwei got post on this thread, guess u can pm him. Fotographic probably not cheap since the one they have look almost new to me. But it is nice to ask to try out to see how it handles, buy dun buy another qns :)

Guess you made a mistake here. I don't have an LX for sale. If I had one, I wouldn't sell ;) My friend got one, but he doesn't want to pass it to me (although he's passed most of his lenses to me already). He'd keep it as his collection and good memory.

I'd like to have an MX though, as a back up as Joe does :D

Cheers!

IcIc, paiseh :)

hi to al pentax user,

if you wanna sell anyone of these,:)
let me know.

pentax follower

Status
Not open for further replies.