PC, Laptop ot Notebook Hardware Minimum Requirement for Colour Calibration

EisMann

Feb 15, 2013
Singapore
Hi there!

I hope this is the correct forum section, for a newbie.

I have read alot in magazines or books on how to calibrate colours in the monitors with those gadgets placed on the monitor's surface.
But none of them mentioned what is the monitor minimum specification required. I am not referring to the RAM or harddisk space.

Without restricting to particular brands of colour calibration tool, what will be the resolution, video card type, pixel size? minimum requirement to achieve that perfect colour, hue or shade for viewing or printing?

I guess for the latter, I can open another thread.

Thank You
EisMann

Without restricting to particular brands of colour calibration tool, what will be the resolution, video card type, pixel size? minimum requirement to achieve that perfect colour, hue or shade for viewing or printing?
Did any of those websites mention that these parameters matter?
Resolution, screen size and pixel size is something YOU need to select based on your own viewing and working preferences. It does not matter at all for the calibration process and the accurate display of colours.
The calibration device's sensor opening is about 5-10mm wide, it takes the readings from a lot of pixels. In addition, the light is diffused to eliminate the impact of a single pixel and to get an average measurement from the display.
Video card is quite irrelevant. Image processing is 2D information and requires CPU load. Some workload of newest Photoshop app can be offloaded to the GPU, but this is not related to the image processing. Any recent card will do the job. If you don't play games and want a 'green' system then grab a low end card with passive cooling.

But none of them mentioned what is the monitor minimum specification required.

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that you won't find a 'minimum' specification because those colorimeters/spectrophotometers have been designed to calibrate most modern LCD displays. Any system requirement mentioned is usually more about what the software/tool needs in order to run. The degree of 'accuracy' that can be achieved then depends on the inherent limitations of the display, and the quality of the calibration tool. If you're talking about 'perfect colour/hue/shade/anything', that's like chasing a unicorn. It's more a a matter of how close you want/need to get and how much you're willing to do/spend to get there.

I suppose what you can do is learn about the features that are important if colour accuracy is important to you, and look out for reviews of monitors which have these features. This might be a starting point: http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/120/Monitors+For+High+Quality+Imaging+Work

Kandinsky, Octarine,

Sorry, I thought I have posted my reply 3 days ago.

Thanks for the reply. Will take note of the hardware and read up.

I am going to next phase of digital photography by learning post editing on the images to make my camera's hardware limitation.

Thank You
EisMann