Passageway - Agra Fort

Status
Not open for further replies.

phusis

Feb 23, 2005
Singapore
Passageway-AgraFort-India.jpg

This has been a favourite of mine for sometime. Just thought i'd put my judgment to the test!

What i like abt the pic: the textures/play on light/depth

Ok Just Shoot ME!

You know, when I saw the title, I immediately thought of the red-brick work fort that is symbolic to the Mughal rule in India. But to my dismay, your picture did no justice whatsoever to the Agra... To put it bluntly, it seems much more like just any other passageway IMO.

I think I understand why you like the picture: a number of elements in your picture are quite symbolic, from the jail-like grill opening from a basement like dungeon, person (?) running away from the frame into the light. If that's really your intention, why choose a neutral title such as "passageway" (and mention about Agra)?

I like the picture mostly because of the links... but in terms of execution, it's far from anything spectacular. Just to nitpick on some technicalities:

(1) the whole frame is not straight... which enhances the sloppiness, and reduces your intention;
(2) the use of sepia make the picture look old, which is probably contrary to your intentions. Why should a thematic transcend from darkness to light be old? What's so nostalgic about that? I think the picture would work better in just b&w instead.
(3) while you use the overexposure to indicate your theme, you should try and do some digital imaging as well, to add in some light rays, instead of just an overblown entrance with no definition. Similarly, you should also burn the doorways near the blown-out entrance as well, to give the light more impact.

Nontheless, I like your idea. Got potential to develop this much further into a series.

The_Cheat said:
You know, when I saw the title, I immediately thought of the red-brick work fort that is symbolic to the Mughal rule in India. But to my dismay, your picture did no justice whatsoever to the Agra... To put it bluntly, it seems much more like just any other passageway IMO.

I think I understand why you like the picture: a number of elements in your picture are quite symbolic, from the jail-like grill opening from a basement like dungeon, person (?) running away from the frame into the light. If that's really your intention, why choose a neutral title such as "passageway" (and mention about Agra)?

I like the picture mostly because of the links... but in terms of execution, it's far from anything spectacular. Just to nitpick on some technicalities:

(1) the whole frame is not straight... which enhances the sloppiness, and reduces your intention;
(2) the use of sepia make the picture look old, which is probably contrary to your intentions. Why should a thematic transcend from darkness to light be old? What's so nostalgic about that? I think the picture would work better in just b&w instead.
(3) while you use the overexposure to indicate your theme, you should try and do some digital imaging as well, to add in some light rays, instead of just an overblown entrance with no definition. Similarly, you should also burn the doorways near the blown-out entrance as well, to give the light more impact.

Nontheless, I like your idea. Got potential to develop this much further into a series.

Wow i took that straight in the heart! Grin ... but honestly i appreciate the harshness.

To reply your comments:

1) The reason why i included Agra in the title was to remind myself of where i took the picture, nothing really to do with the picture itself. Well i will have to keep in mind for postings in future. I have other pics to remind me of Agra in colour.

2) I had no intention of making the picture look modern or otherwise, i just liked the effect sepia had on the picture as compared to B&W.

3) Technicalities: well this i have no excuse, i just do it for hobby and i took this when i first bought my camera! Also not experienced enough to do DI on the pic ... lol

But to speak of the concept it's a matter of perception to the viewer or the photographer. The theme of darkness to light has no bearing on time it could mean light at the end of the tunnel, or finding the truth or the pic could just be someone looking at another passing on or maybe being set free!

But i'll work on it! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.