parliament passes new bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's look at the intention of Public Order Act. Ministerial speech is important. If there is ambiguity in the Act, the presiding judge, more often than not, will always refer to the ministerial speech to seek the original intention of introducing this Act.

MHA Introduces Public Order Bill in Parliament, 23 March 2009

Overview of The Public Order Act, 23 March 2009

Public Order Bill - Second Reading Speech by Mr K Shanmugam, Minister for Law and Second Minister for Home Affairs, 14 April 2009

AGC Digest March 2009. Published by Singapore Law Watch

Bill Introduced, Parliament of Singapore

While I do not want to dwell on politics, I really do not think that this Public Order Act has got anything to do with photography in general.

The problem comes in when there is no ambiguity in the wording of the Act. Based on what Sylvia Lim said quoting sections of the Act, defintions are too wide but not ambigiously so. When the wording is not ambigious, I'm not sure you can use the Hansard to interpret a narrower meaning to a term that is unambiguously defined widely.

Let's look at the intention of Public Order Act. Ministerial speech is important. If there is ambiguity in the Act, the presiding judge, more often than not, will always refer to the ministerial speech to seek the original intention of introducing this Act.

MHA Introduces Public Order Bill in Parliament, 23 March 2009

Overview of The Public Order Act, 23 March 2009

Public Order Bill - Second Reading Speech by Mr K Shanmugam, Minister for Law and Second Minister for Home Affairs, 14 April 2009

AGC Digest March 2009. Published by Singapore Law Watch

Bill Introduced, Parliament of Singapore

While I do not want to dwell on politics, I really do not think that this Public Order Act has got anything to do with photography in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.