Panning Clamps

aspenx

Aug 10, 2008
here
Have been eyeing the Really Right Stuff PCL-1 for some time.

As I'm still not exactly sure how long this interest with panoramas will last, I thought I'd look for a second hand one but to no avail...

Then, I came across the Sunwayfoto DDH-01. It doesn't look any less well-machined than the PCL-1 and for almost half the price to boot.

Does anyone have any experience with Sunwayfoto products? Will be great if anyone can give feedback on the DDH-01 itself.

I'm looking for a panning clamp for my Markins M10 ballhead. Will be using a D700 with the Markins L-bracket.

Any other (affordable) recommendations are very welcome.

I have owned both the RRS pano clamp and the PC-0 from benro. The benro one is really very well made but slightly smaller than PCL-1. If you want the same size as the RRS, get the benro PC1 which is almost a direct copy of PCL1. Very well made also. You can find the benro ones at Benphoto. PC0 cost 138 and PC1 cost 158 IIRC. And both the benro ones come with the dovetail. And on both, the dovetails are removable so you can replace your existing clamp with the pano clamp.

Hope this helps.

I have owned both the RRS pano clamp and the PC-0 from benro. The benro one is really very well made but slightly smaller than PCL-1. If you want the same size as the RRS, get the benro PC1 which is almost a direct copy of PCL1. Very well made also. You can find the benro ones at Benphoto. PC0 cost 138 and PC1 cost 158 IIRC. And both the benro ones come with the dovetail. And on both, the dovetails are removable so you can replace your existing clamp with the pano clamp.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll consider the Benro alternative too.

Besides being well-made, what would you say "performance-wise" between the PCL-1 and the PC-0/PC-1?

I'm not very biased against Chinese products but I'm wary because I can't seem to find any reviews on these other panning clamps.

Hope more people can chime in too.

Thanks. I'll consider the Benro alternative too.

Besides being well-made, what would you say "performance-wise" between the PCL-1 and the PC-0/PC-1?

I'm not very biased against Chinese products but I'm wary because I can't seem to find any reviews on these other panning clamps.

Hope more people can chime in too.

construction wise, they are almost the same. Both are smooth when panning, the RRS is just very very slightly smoother. But I was comparing the smaller Benro PC-0 vs much larger PCL-1. Apart from these, their construction are pretty much the same to me. The markings of the RRS seems to be much better done. Benro is good just the words are a little "wavier" for lack of the better term...

BTW here are pics of the Benro PC-0 I took when I put it up for sale several months ago.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2287/5734079581_c012b5a0c9_b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5067/5734079431_4cb1ec924a_b.jpg

I sold the Benro, because I acquired a set of used BH-40 and a PCL-1 at an unbelievable low price. And the Lever release on the BH-40 does not go well with benro plates. Yes, the quick lever release that comes with RRS are not user adjustable. :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! I get what you mean by "wavier".

I wish I could get a set of BH-40 and PCL1 "at an unbelievably low price" too. haha.

Oh well, I'll probably end up with the Benro alternative.

Will check it out in person another day. Thanks again.

By the way, you were using the panning clamp with a Benro plate? And isn't the PCL-1 screw clamp so it could take in any Arca-Swiss compatible plate too?

Thanks for the pics! I get what you mean by "wavier".

I wish I could get a set of BH-40 and PCL1 "at an unbelievably low price" too. haha.

Oh well, I'll probably end up with the Benro alternative.

Will check it out in person another day. Thanks again.

By the way, you were using the panning clamp with a Benro plate? And isn't the PCL-1 screw clamp so it could take in any Arca-Swiss compatible plate too?

The markings are a little wavy. You can see the markings in the pics.

Yup.. it was one of those once in a lifetime deals. Got the combo for less than half the new selling price. Mint condition too. So quickly grab.

Last edited:
Yup.. it was one of those once in a lifetime deals. Got the combo for less than half the new selling price. Mint condition too. So quickly grab.

Please give me a PM if you ever think of selling! ;p

aspenx said:
Please give me a PM if you ever think of selling! ;p

Ok. But you probably have to wait very long. This combo with my tripod legs is my dream setup already. ;)