panasonic NVgs3/gs5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by isomers007

i dunno how to transfer the contents of my gs5 minidv to the pc. you know? :)

1. Pay a shop to do it.
2. Pay me to do it ;p

Just joking. You will need a 1394/FireWire interface card on your PC and video editing software like Ulead VideoStudio or Adobe Premiere. You will also need a 1394/FireWire cable to connect the camera to the card. The GS3/5 uses a mini-1394 connector (4-pin), while most cards uses the standard 6-pin ones, so you will need a cable of this configuration. The cable shouldn't cost more than $20 or so. The card should be $100 odd for a standalone card, but a bit more gets you the Sound Blaster Audigy DE which comes with an excellent sound card as well. :)

Once the card is installed, connect the camera to the card with the cable, run the capture software and you can capture whatever's on the tape to the PC's harddisk. You will need a lot of harddisk space as an hour of DV video will take up approximately 16GB, the harddisk also needs to be very fast. ATA100 and above @ 7200rpm should do. You will also need lots of memory as well as a fast enough CPU (900MHz and above should be fine).

Also note that the FAT32 file system used by Windows 98 and ME has a file size limit of 4GB, which limits your video captures to 15 minute blocks. This can be frustrating. Solution is to run Windows 2000 or XP and format/convert your capture drive to NTFS.

Regards
CK

i have firewire port ready.....so i dun need to buy the card already lah? all firewire port looks de same rite? *sorry...i'm not too good in pc's technical stuffs* i juz need to buy de cable...dat's all?

i have firewire port ready.....so i dun need to buy the card already lah? all firewire port looks de same rite? *sorry...i'm not too good in pc's technical stuffs* i juz need to buy de cable...dat's all?
yes you just need the wire and the s/w to do it.
it very simple one lor.

Originally posted by Bluestrike

yes you just need the wire and the s/w to do it.
it very simple one lor.

ok...thank goodness...cos i thot muz buy cards e.g. video....cannot spend too much money already :D

thanx for ur response, ckiang and bluestrike~! :)

There are basically 2 types of FireWire connectors, the bigger, 6-pin ones like those on FireWire cards, and the smaller, 4-pin ones on things like DV cams. So, make sure you get the correct one. There are several types, like small to big, big to big, small to small, etc.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Once the card is installed, connect the camera to the card with the cable, run the capture software and you can capture whatever's on the tape to the PC's harddisk.

bought de firewire cable already...connected de dvcam to my pc....got adobe premiere...when i clicked on movie capture, a window appears with record option. so i juz pressed it and wait for it to capture wat's inside the tape izzit?

Status
Not open for further replies.