Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 New model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin,

I believe the image file is actually in the 16:9 ratio with full 8MP (thats the selling point of LX1). Conventional cameras with 4:3 or 3:2 image sensors produces a pseudo 16:9 ratio image by cropping the pixels from the top and bottom band in camera. That means the image is less that the full pixel count of the sensor.

I know, I know, there will be those in the crowd saying its not the number of pixels that counts, as long as there is something near to 16:9 it should be similar. Well I guess I applaud Panasonic for the innovation of producing a real 16:9 ratio sensor.Think about it, it has been a while since any really innovative features have been released in a camera product. I'm going to give this new technology a try and who knows, my photography skills might benefit from the new perspective.

I liken it to trying out medium format as compared to 35mm, its a whole new different ball game :bsmilie: .

Hi guys, for those interested, the price in Japan around JPY62,800...around S$981 base on the exchange rate of 64....

Check out www.kakaku.com its a popular website in Japan for price comparison...cheers!

Just checked that website... the price currently stands at JPY74,800, or roughly SGD1,109 I should say that is pretty close to the RRP of FZ20.

Think the street price should be SGD980 to SGD1000 depending on demand and the shop you go to...

Is the LX1 out in Singapore stores already?

daphz said:
Is the LX1 out in Singapore stores already?
The price from ms colour over the phone $865 with 256mb & case

AP $890 NO GIFT
CP $900 NO GIFT

The best Deal is from mscolour! suggest u gave a call before going down..ask for florence

I got a quote for $880 - No Gifts except carrying case from AP, but they don't have the black unit when I asked a couple of days ago.

Does MS give out high speed SD cards, or are they normal speed ones? ... Just curious :sweat:

Anyway, I got a quote for $870 for a black unit at CP, also No Gifts except for the carrying case.

To think that Song Bros were asking for $990 at COMEX pre-order... sheesh, wonder how many people got fleeced :dunno:

i dun think the 256sd card is a high speed card and it not enough in the first place

Cool, then I guess I can bear with the 5 bucks difference and go for the black unit at CP, but then, perhaps MS also has stock of the black units too ;p

BenToon said:
Cool, then I guess I can bear with the 5 bucks difference and go for the black unit at CP, but then, perhaps MS also has stock of the black units too ;p
nope they dun have stock of the black colour unit

Looks like both cameras replace the LC-1?

If only Panasonic can release a LC-2.... same body same lens, but improved electronics that is the same speed as that of the FZ30 plus better CCD that performs better at high ISO you get the perfect camera that is not a DSLR.

According to dpreview, only the casing and the "little red dot" differentiates the D-Lux2 and LX1... Have to say that it was totally unexpected, until dpreview hinted at its possibility after their in depth review of LX1.

BenToon said:
According to dpreview, only the casing and the "little red dot" differentiates the D-Lux2 and LX1... Have to say that it was totally unexpected, until dpreview hinted at its possibility after their in depth review of LX1.
Oh, then I guess I can still go ahead with getting the LX1 when the prices finally come down if there's no difference feature-wise. I dont really fancy the red dot anyway.

eow said:
A new model with manual function
available end of august at Uk
Lens
• 28 - 112mm (35 mm equiv) 4x optical zoom
• 5 x "Extra optical zoom" for smaller sizes (3:2 aspect ratio: 5.1x for 4.5Mega, 2.5Mega)
• F 2.8 - F 8.0 (W) F 4.9 - F 8.0 (T)
File formats
• Still: RAW, TIFF, JPEG
• Movie: QuickTime Motion JPEG
panasonic_lx1blkfront-001.jpg
panasonic_lx1blkback-001.jpg

panasonic_lx1blk34-001.jpg
panasonic_lx1blktop-001.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072003panasonic_lx1.asp
check this Dynamic Dramatic Special Gallery at pana site
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/lx1/mainparts.html
seem to be the replacement for the lc series
rumour at dpreview mentioned panasonic will not came up with a new lc series :think:
time to save yr buck and grab the lc-5 if it ever end up in the clearance sale
hi there,
do u noe where can i can the best deal..in town to get LX1???
THANKS,,

Try ms colour,cathay photo and alan photo
last gave them a call
mscolour gave the best price among the three

Looks like some of u may have bought the LX1 already.

How bad is the noise? that's the only thing holding me back.

Also has anybody considered the Ricoh GR Digital? pls share with me yr thots Ricoh vs LX1. Thanks!

Okay, here's the deal about noise. I guess most have read about how noise at ISO400 makes the picture "practically" useless right? Well, I haven't put mine through its paces but I chance across somebody who managed it quite well in the DPReview forums. An example of what I'm talking about below. Noise is apparently most noticeable in dark areas or areas of uniform color. (Frankly if it were up to me, I'd consider shots that has >50% of these areas rather dull to begin with. Also some basic photographic techniques needs to be brushed up. No point blaming the tool I'd say.)

ISO400 JPEG unprocessed (Noise level is as per "complained" especially in dark colored and uniform color areas.)
50061321p10000511gj.jpg

ISO400 JPEG after post processing (from the pic above I presume...)
50052703pumpkinresize5sa.jpg

In case anyone whats to comment on the processed pic losing detail or looks soft, focus your attention on the left corner of the mouth of the glass Jack-O-Lantern. Though not tact-sharp, it is sharp enough. And most importantly, it gives you the "sense and feel" of glass.

With that coming from ISO400 JPEG, even though its after postprocessing... I rest my case. As the chinese saying goes, one part hardwork at cultivation, yields one part good harvest (or something like that). Basically, you get what you put in :thumbsup:

wow.... the post processing really makes a huge difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.