Pana LX3 sample question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, hope anyone can help me on this problems I experience on this sample taken recently.

Sample%2001.JPG

The photo in 100% zoom displayed shown some sort of 'pattern noise'. Anyone knows what is this noise is? And is it normal for this LX3 camera model or is that I had a 'lemon' set?

Exif info:

Shutter = 1/30"
F-Stop = F2
ISO = 200
Focal Length = 5.1mm
Metering = Pattern
Flash = Nil
EV+/- = +/-0EV

Last edited:
Hmmm... :think: Almost 200 views and no one seems does know if this is 'norm' or not at all? I thought LX3 is a popular camera with quite some owners... :dunno:

Anyway, the camera belongs to another friend of mine, which I am investigate on behalf. We conclude it may likely be a 'lemon' set, and decided to send in to Pana for check. Will update if there's any outcome.

perhaps u can use a sharper image at the same iso setting to demonstrate what is the pattern noise you are talking about? all i see currently is motion blur in the image with reasonable amounts of noise for a compact at iso 200

no idea what pattern noise?

might just be normal noise from higher iso.

try taking the same shot at 80, 100, 200, 400, 800.

If the "noise" u are talking abt seems to increase, its just the normal noise from the sensor, and is common for all LX3.
I have a suspicion that if u take at iso 80, there will be less of this "noise" u are talking about.

remember to use tripod, and ensure lighting/etc are the same for the test, so that u ensure that any difference in the photos is not due to camera shake (which will cause blurriness)

Unless u are concerned that your particular camera got more noise than others (doubt this is possible), but perhaps u go try with ur friends lx3.

Thanks for the reply guys... :D

perhaps u can use a sharper image at the same iso setting to demonstrate what is the pattern noise you are talking about? all i see currently is motion blur in the image with reasonable amounts of noise for a compact at iso 200

no idea what pattern noise?

might just be normal noise from higher iso.

try taking the same shot at 80, 100, 200, 400, 800.

If the "noise" u are talking abt seems to increase, its just the normal noise from the sensor, and is common for all LX3.
I have a suspicion that if u take at iso 80, there will be less of this "noise" u are talking about.

remember to use tripod, and ensure lighting/etc are the same for the test, so that u ensure that any difference in the photos is not due to camera shake (which will cause blurriness)

Unless u are concerned that your particular camera got more noise than others (doubt this is possible), but perhaps u go try with ur friends lx3.

My bad guys to have only this sample. But this is the one that shown very obvious 'pattern' of the so called 'noise'. The others (only a few, as this camera is newly bought, and start to shown the problem for the 2 days b4 I post this thread) are also visual with the 'pattern' but harder to be seen (cluttered).

Anyway, this sample has some motion blur, so usually we were more visually captured by the blur instead. But if you can save this and zoom it further, you can somehow see that the skin tone is not so smooth, it has some kind of a 'pattern noise' which I'm refer to as the problem. In my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), under ISO 200 that low lighting noise will still be not as so severed in such case. More over, the 'patterned noise' (I so called it) does not looks so much like a low light noises I had experienced. Could it somehow be an introduced 'electrical noise' (internal chip/sensor defective)??? :dunno:

Well, I pose this thread to verify. If this is something outta hand or is incomprehensible on my illustration, it is alright, we decided to send in for some checks. But I really appreciates anyone's reply and help. Will pose if there are any conclusive results. Thanks a bunch... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.