[ Override2Zion ] HYPERFOCAL DISTANCE Table Generator

I just downloaded DOFmaster for my iphone

I'm kinda confused by the values now.
Focus Distance: 1m
Near limit: 0.55m
Far limit: 5.36m
Total DOF: 4.81m

what do all the values mean?

Focusing to infinity is shaper and more accurate than focusing in the foreground because of minimum focusing distance of the lens. Aperture focusing and shooting aperture are two factors to consider when aiming your camera at the objects in landscape photrography.

Focusing to infinity has its pros and cons. If all your subjects are far away in the distance then focusing to infinity will get everything sharp. If you're talking about including some foreground subjects, setting focus to infinity will effectively giving up clarity in the area between the camera to the point of infinity focus. See this website for detailed reading http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/hyperfocal.html

Last edited:
I just downloaded DOFmaster for my iphone

I'm kinda confused by the values now.
Focus Distance: 1m
Near limit: 0.55m
Far limit: 5.36m
Total DOF: 4.81m

what do all the values mean?

That means if you are focusing at a subject 1m away from you, anything that is 0.55m towards you from the subject and 5.36m away from you behind the subject will be resonably sharp.

Camera ----------0.55m-----------Subject @ 1m---------------------5.36m----------

The area that is underlined is the area with reasonable sharpness.
So you have a total of 5.36m - 0.55m = 4.81 (Total DOF)

Last edited:
Hitokiri84 said:
Hi Override2Zion,
Hmmm, would like to ask on how to know the CoC of the kit I have. For instance, a D90 with a 35mm f1.8 lens. Noob guy here :S

Go to dofmaster.com. You will be able to find the coc value for the specific camera.

For d90 coc is 0.02. Lens used will not affect the coc value.

daredevil123 said:
Go to dofmaster.com. You will be able to find the coc value for the specific camera.

For d90 coc is 0.02. Lens used will not affect the coc value.

Thanks alot

Usually what I would do is to use the pocket rangefinder to find some object at the distance where focus is desired and use it as my focus point.

You have any recommendations for a cheap, good, light and small pocket rangefinder?

ya know. i am gonna use this and print out a small table for my cameras, and laminate it. its gonna be part of my cheat sheet:D