Opinions on spectacle lenses

reservist friend who manages an optical shop chain told me that zeiss are one of the best around, but is exp and not every shop does it properly. nikon and hoya is like mid-range. there are some lesser ranges from pentax and other brands, those are ok, but coating will wear off.

No hawt peenk specs!!!

reservist friend who manages an optical shop chain told me that zeiss are one of the best around, but is exp and not every shop does it properly. nikon and hoya is like mid-range. there are some lesser ranges from pentax and other brands, those are ok, but coating will wear off.

Thanks for sharing tribal!

broke the glasses of my spec recently, replaced them (used the old frame), $40-$50 for a pair of hi-index+mc, both around 400-550deg each + 150-250 astic each.

oh is that a hoya lense? Where? i'm also on a look out. Those paris miki guys can be a little expensive.

why is Essilor good for progressive lens?

ok not an expert but i try to ans your question as a layman and user. :bsmilie:

Unlike single vision lens, which only provide power to either short or long sighted, progressive lens cover near, mid and far vision. While the lower section of the lenses are meant for reading, the middle and upper are for mid to far viewing.

Say for the reading section. Some not so well design progressive lens has very narrow area for near view. You can't move your eyeball from left to right to look at an close up object. You had to move your entirely head. To a certain extent, it is like using the Raynox DCR250. The depth of field is so narrow you had to rock your camera forward and backward to "catch" the exact focus point else it won't turn out clear. You don't need this precise focus point if you are looking at a large object but will be a big problem when you are doing some small and precise work.

Likewise for the mid and far viewing section. With a not so well design progressive lens, you find that you had to literally move your head up and down, left and right to get the correct focus point everytime you look at something. It is extremely tiring if you had to do this the entire day and you probably end up changing or not wearing it at all.

Another problem are the distortion. Especially presbyobia (long sighted) lens. Near object esp ground are magnify to an extend some wearer who are not use to it will trip and fall. Other distortion include slight change of shape of object which some wearer will never get use to.

I have use Kodak, Hoya, Nikon, Zeiss and Essilor, by far, is the most comfortable of the lot(not perfect) ((unless some genius can design an AF spec lens)).

Down side is... it's very expensive...even more if your power is high and you need 1.67 or 1.74 index. :hung:

ok not an expert but i try to ans your question as a layman and user. :bsmilie:

I have use Kodak, Hoya, Nikon, Zeiss and Essilor, by far, is the most comfortable of the lot(not perfect) ((unless some genius can design an AF spec lens)).

Down side is... it's very expensive...even more if your power is high and you need 1.67 or 1.74 index. :hung:

Based on past purchase, what is the price range for Essilor against others ?

Based on past purchase, what is the price range for Essilor against others ?

I can't provide you an accurate ans becoz i have being using nothing but Essilor's progressive lens for quite a few years now. The Hoya i bought wasn't top range while the Essilor i having now are... But i heard it's about 30% plus minus i guess depend on the shop discount. Zeiss are more expensive then Essilor but i feel design not as good.

So personally, Essilor best in design but costly. Heard the latest Hoya are pretty good but still lose out to Essilor by a small margin. I think the difference are similar to F3.5 vs F2.8 lens. Slightly faster but quite a differences in price.

Just found out Nikon had merge with Essilor on the spec lens division... Wonder whether manuf frm the same factory...:think:

thanks. what about seiko for progressive lens?

oh is that a hoya lense? Where? i'm also on a look out. Those paris miki guys can be a little expensive.

not sure what brand is it, but i got all my specs from this shop since army days, about 15yrs back. never have any problem except once, they made me plastic lens instead of glass which i had specified (new girl in the shop), but they replaced them and i paid only for the glass lenses, no question asked.

they offer very good service. got my lenses replaced the next day cause i dont have spare spec (broke that one some time back). replaced the nose pad and the leg sleeve also.

Ta Ching Optical House
151 Chin Swee Road, #01-05/06
Manhattan House
S'pore 169876
Tel : 6733-6913

thanks. what about seiko for progressive lens?

Entry level DSLR... Cheap but nothing beyond ISO800... If you get what i mean...:bsmilie:

Unfortunately for progresive lens, it isn't that simple as simply sticking to low ISO and you be fine... Most of the time is either you are comfortable or you are not... There is no option in between...

btw, i noe nikon got spectacle lenses, but in SG got sell meh?

Yes available in most of the bigger shop. Smaller shop can order it for you but some will dissuade you from getting it because of the high price... My friend bought a pair of Nikon 1.67 single vision, Transition and it cost him almost $600, lens alone.

Are you aware of Nikon Frames? Not bad built quality but design abit on the conservative side. :bsmilie:

Wait pardon me, but wow, specs lens got so many brands de arh? Anyway to tell the brand? All looks the same to me thou....

For the past decade or so, i will juz hit for the same shop to get my specs. But they never tell me anything abt lens except the normal high index, multi coat and whatnot....

I gave up on using Progressive lenses, made 2 pairs already over a period of 2 years, I just cannot get use to it... want to change to Tri-focal is that a good option to go with? any advice?

../azul123

i was told by a friend who used to sell sunglasses. he said branded frames are usually carrying a huge profit. some 300%, some up to even 500%. Well, thats where they have room to markdown and make you happy.

this, I believe is true.
IMO, the manufacturing costs of an expensive frame is about US10, and usually the packaging will double the costs. Marketing will add in another US20 and the RP will be about US150 - $200. :think:

For those cheap frames, the manufacturing cost is probably about US1 - US3 and they are retailing at $30 - $50! :dunno:

i Nikon supporter, everything have to be nikon =P spectacle need to be nikon de =P

me, Canon supporter, so where can i buy Canon specs ... those expensive "L" Canon glass? .... ;p