Only Pros shoot in Manual mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and M stands for "Master"

shoot in the most convenient mode for yourself.

it may be Av, Tv, M, P, auto... ...

the only thing disgraceful, ashaming, insulting is use something one is unsure or not comfortable with, simply for the sake of wayang, and screw up and miss a potential good shot.

Um no, pros don't use M mode for sure,

but the Pros do deliver. ;p

Sorry about the wrong usage, i just realised it sounded wrong when i re-read :D

I mean, pros don't necessarily have to use M mode.

Well apparently i am much more happy doing my shoots now with the modes i'm comfortable with. The pictures always turns out better then my all my previous attempts on manual lol. :)

If i have enough time to set up my equipment, i use M. Eg for still objects, landscapes, long exposures...

If there is little time for me to fiddle around with my camera before shooting, eg a sudden "take my photo, quick!", or spotting a photographic moment that is moving away soon, i usually rely on aperture priority.

Pros can shoot in any mode
Pros-wannabe will worry about what mode to use
Pros-wannabe-poser will say their camera is better
Pros-wannabe-poser-idiots blame their camera cannot deliver

there is a high tendency for newbies to think that using manual means you are pro, and not using manual is a disgrace to the cam. Pros (someone like me :p) will always say "using manual to shoot, shoot until cow come home still haven shoot finish" by the time you adjust apeture and speed to meter correctly, the bird already fly away, the corner kick already score a goal, the bride already kiss the groom. Using manual just for the sake of using manual to look pro is too ...... Get the ass out of the house and shoot more and stop thinking that auto sucks. Show me the end product, thats all i care

I am no professional but for learning purposes, I force myself to use M so I can learn though changing to A or S mode will do the trick.

I am no professional but for learning purposes, I force myself to use M so I can learn though changing to A or S mode will do the trick.

It brings me to the memory when I started learning photography... 15 years ago... using film SLR with no auto... have to set the aperture and shutter speed manually... the only help was from the build in + 0 - meter on the finder...

Oh those good old days...

hi bro...me a noob too....jus dun care wat people will say......u jus go out and start shooting...shoot and shoot and shoot....in time to come.....automatically u'll start to use those modes.....dun u worry....everybody starts somwhere.....if not now then later....jus keep on shooting....

I am not a pro but i use solely M mode. With the help of the built-in light meter, its just offers the greatest amount of flexibility. You dun have to care about expousre compensation. Aperture, shutter and iso all at the tips of your fingers. It just doesnt make sense, for example, in Aperture-priority, with the iso fixed, the camera sets whatever shutter speed with my chosen aperture to maintain the proper exposure (or what the camera thinks). If I need some compensation, I would need to adjust it specifically. M mode simply gives me the flexibility of adjusting the shutter on the fly as well and whatever exposure compensation is needed, I just read off the light meter.

sorry but - M+light meter is different from A+exposure compensation.
I guess you have not taken pictures in snow, because we're at the equator ;-)
Otherwise you would know from plenty of under-exposed pictures and value the difference

sorry but - M+light meter is different from A+exposure compensation.
I guess you have not taken pictures in snow, because we're at the equator ;-)
Otherwise you would know from plenty of under-exposed pictures and value the difference

The camera also meters the same way in A mode. When you increase the EV to expose for the snow correctly, it actually lowers the shutter speed which you could do by yourself in manual mode. Care to explain what is the difference? :dunno:

i always use full auto when i'm shooting any events/general objects etc... i only use manual for macro or to achieve specific effect...

of course not.

P A S M is there for a reason. if not nikon d3 and canon mark d iii would just have manual mode and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.