One morning at Marina Bay

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
5338380615_96bb7cb1e0_b.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
How to improve on the settings such as exposure, ISO and Shutter speed and Aperture

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
The modern city landscape of Singapore and yet calmness in the early morning.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Early Saturday morning without strong sunlight. No tripod, using Nikon D5000, 18-105 mm lens

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Something lacking in this photo but I don't know what. Please give me some guides.

The sky is overexposed. You'll have to get up earlier when the sky isn't that bright, or shoot the sunset, or shoot HDR to show the sky not as a white space but actually with clouds.

hi the buildings also look tilted to me

1) Buildings are tilted backwards - can be fixed by PP, but next time try shooting with your camera level
2) Horizon not straight - easily fixed by PP
3) Sky is blown - This is not really early morning, be there before 7am and the results would be much better
4) Composition wise I would have prefered to see more water, this is too tight.
5) Also please bring along a tripod, or get one if you are really into landscape photog

Guess, sky overexposed and titled buildings are common issues highlighted already. I am not sure, was the spot you took the picture the most ideal to capture this scene? :think:

Reason why the sky is exposed is perhaps the time when this picture was taken.

Apart from the usual filters/ and trying to underexpose the pictures, you might want to consider trying this picture during the golden hours, i.e. sunrise/ sunset timing. This will result in some hue in the sky adding some details to the sky.

Alternatively, you can choose to take this picture in a gloomier day/ cloudy/ near rain conditions to add in to the details.

You might also want to consider post processing your pictures.