One best lens for everyday photography?

my bad...i'm refering to the $3000 24mm f2.8g.

yeah...pro prime lens are still the ultimate lens, but i still don't know why a simpler constructed prime (24mm f2.8g) can cost 3k.

Hey bro,

I think you mistaken.. the AF 24mm 2.8D cost around $500 to $700 and the AFS 24mm 1.4G cost around $2800 to $3300.
The comparison can be found under Nikon SG

The AFS 24mm 1.4G I must admit is a very good lens but its also an expensive one.
Unless I managed to sell my 70-200mm f2.8 VR1 then perhaps I can be able to get it.
If not I would have just to settle on the AF 24mm f2.8D if that is a good lens.

Hey bro,

I think you mistaken.. the AF 24mm 2.8D cost around $500 to $700 and the AFS 24mm 1.4G cost around $2800 to $3300.
The comparison can be found under Nikon SG

The AFS 24mm 1.4G I must admit is a very good lens but its also an expensive one.
Unless I managed to sell my 70-200mm f2.8 VR1 then perhaps I can be able to get it.
If not I would have just to settle on the AF 24mm f2.8D if that is a good lens.

alamak i wrong again...i was talking about 24mm f1.4g. :bsmilie: yap...it's too ex.

How about the 16-35 f4?

Um...actually the 24/2.8 prime is even worse than a cheap Tamron 17-50/2.8 at the wide end on DX body.

2100 said:
Um...actually the 24/2.8 prime is even worse than a cheap Tamron 17-50/2.8 at the wide end on DX body.

I was jz planning myself to get that lens. :(
Looks like I have to find another alternatives.

creative-studio said:
I just got this lens and indeed it's one of the best lens for everyday photography! :thumbsup:

Mind sharing the pictures taken with it. I have decided to get this lens but not until i managed to sell of my VR1 70-200mm lens. :)

Last edited:

Anything to show for it??? From what I heard, the Tamron is highly unreliable & inconsistent. See so many on sale in B&S... :)

I love my 24 1.4
Best walkaround solution

Does relatively adequate close ups, nice for the occasional wide open shot and more importantly awesome lens to use for street photography :p

Works well for my lesser frequent landscape shots too ;);)

I would pick the 16-85VR or 35/1.8G for an everyday lens. That's what I have to use.

Mind sharing the pictures taken with it. I have decided to get this lens but not until i managed to sell of my VR1 70-200mm lens.

I do not want to poison you with the pictures but it's really a great lens for everyday even for low light situations :D

1sz5ag.jpg

sl2n7s.jpg

10s6w4z.jpg

2uylzqd.jpg

Thanks for info. But not sure if this is a fair comparison, one on DX at 35mm FF equiv & the other on FX at 24mm FF, & camera brand/model different too. Should compare the 24mm in same brand DX camera. Also the D3x is high resolution & would amplify the weaknesses of any lens. IMO this is a better comparison both same focal length lens & camera http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=690&Camera=614&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=631&CameraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0. Whats the difference under this pixel peeping scenario & real world application? And at what price :bigeyes: Of course f1.4 best but f2.8 not a bad option either esp for those under cost constraints.

Check out the review of the 24-70mm f2.8 lens against 24mm f2.8 at Photozone http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/456-nikkor_afs_2470_28_ff?start=1 & http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikk...kkor-af-24mm-f28d-review--test-report?start=1. The 24-70mm trinity zoom lens has lots of barrel distortions, CA, vignetting etc. No lens perfect. But consumer lens often gets put down more compared to professional lens.

Frankly, web reviews & pixel peeping aside, what I did love is to see actual pictures taken by users here using these lens for comparison which would help to a certain extent in decision making for some. Cheers!

Last edited: