On EP-3 which Macro lens should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchengws

Oct 26, 2009
Red Dot Island
Hi,

I am going on a field trip to Sarawak in mid May with a group for macro and landscape photography.

After I made a mistake buying a 12-60mm lens that gives me very slow focusing, now I would like to add a macro lens to my collectiion.

I have a 105mm VR with my Nikon 7K but I find it is too heavy to bring alone the heavy gears, I would like to try with my EP-3 before going to buy the EM-5 after getting the Nikon D800.

Shall I wait for the new lenses or the there are current macro lens that works well with EP-3. Accurate and fast focus.

Thank you.

Here's a link to the m4/3 lens chart : Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses)

I'm not a macro expert, but it seems if you are looking at native m4/3 lenses, theres only one shipping at the moment. The Panasonic Leica 45mm/2.8.
The other is the announced but not yet shipping Oly 60mm/2.8. One other alternative is the EM5 kit zoom, the 12-50 3.5-6.3. It can do Macro.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2012a/nr120208zuikoe.html

If you look further .. there is also the widely acclaimed 4/3 Oly 50mm/2 but this focuses very very slow on m4/3.
Or since Macro doesnt need very fast AF, how about adapted legacy macro lenses?

Last edited:
The cheapest method is to get a manual adapted lens. Take your pick from every macro lens ever made...

If you want AF, all the options are already mentioned. Personally I would wait for the 60/2.8 and get an adapted lens in the meantime. Like the 45/2.8 it is a 1:1 lens, but you get a bit more working distance with the 60/2.8.

Hello cannedpinapples and Agrivar,

Thank you for your infoand material. 45/2.8 or 12-50mm would be my choice now. I am fighting with myself because I just bought the 12-60mm less than 2 months and now go for the 12-50mm is my main obstacle.

I should have bought he 12-50mm in the first place.

The 12-50 is not real macro. It has a maximum magnification of 1:2.78. It's also nowhere near as sharp as regular macro lenses are.

So if I were you, either get an MF lens (cheaper, you get true MF and not the Panny focus-by-wire, and super sharp), or if you really must get an AF version now, go for the Panny.

Panny 45 2.8 is the only real macro lens in m4/3. The new 12-50 will do quite well as a macro although its not 1:1. It really depends on how macro you want. Wat are you shooting and how detailed u want to shoot. For eg the 4/3 50 f2 is only a 1:2 macro but its beats many other lenses around. I have taken amazing macro with it.

cannedpineapples said:
The 12-50 is not real macro. It has a maximum magnification of 1:2.78. It's also nowhere near as sharp as regular macro lenses are.

So if I were you, either get an MF lens (cheaper, you get true MF and not the Panny focus-by-wire, and super sharp), or if you really must get an AF version now, go for the Panny.

Dude, do you shoot macro???

Hello All,

I am not a new starter but not a espert either. I shot macro with a group on Nikon 105mm macro vr lens. I quite enjoy the trip. Now going away from Singapore, i worry about the weight so I decided to bring a long the EP-3. Althought the 12-60mm is slow but i think i will still bring it alone for the landscape, but I need a macro lens to go with it. The Panny 45 macro used to be named good macro and the 12-50mm sample photo look good to me too. The mid May travel timing does not permit me to wait.

So I need advice to help me make decision to pick a macro lens. Panny 45mm macro I inquired the price quite some time ago seems like it is more or similar to the 12-50mm.

If I opt for manual focus lens any other good lens I can go for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.