On content quality of posts/threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jcryan55

sorry...but no offence. Actually I notice clubsnap has recently been filled with lots of rubbish or garbage. When it first started, it began on a very good footing. The msg posted were all very useful and informative. Which is why today I still stroll in the forum. Maybe the pledge of the moderator has dwindle off. Their pledge to moderate and get rid of offensive or contents that are not useful has not been upheld.....Sigh....they even join in the "fun" sometimes. Wake up...wake up....

Look at the other website, offstone.com : Lance Lee is doing a far better job at organising contents of the forum. That's a good learning point, I guess. A good forum should promote constructive interaction where good advice or chance for learning is garnered and not a place for people to spend their excess energy. In short, don't be bo liao.

Sorry....for the harsh tone. But before we hit the 30,000th post, we may want to reconsider the whole forum concept.

I am very impressed by the thread of "What to shop in Hong Kong". The thread saw many coming together to provide genuine info abt the market for 1st & 2nd hand camera stuff in HK, KL and Bangkok. I think we shld encourage such type of thread.

Let's try to cut down on threads that help promote just merely finger exercise and nobody gain anything at the end of that discussion.

Moderators, can we do that?

Originally posted by jcryan55
sorry...but no offence. Actually I notice clubsnap has recently been filled with lots of rubbish or garbage. When it first started, it began on a very good footing. The msg posted were all very useful and informative. Which is why today I still stroll in the forum. Maybe the pledge of the moderator has dwindle off. Their pledge to moderate and get rid of offensive or contents that are not useful has not been upheld.....Sigh....they even join in the "fun" sometimes. Wake up...wake up....

Look at the other website, offstone.com : Lance Lee is doing a far better job at organising contents of the forum. That's a good learning point, I guess. A good forum should promote constructive interaction where good advice or chance for learning is garnered and not a place for people to spend their excess energy. In short, don't be bo liao.

Sorry....for the harsh tone. But before we hit the 30,000th post, we may want to reconsider the whole forum concept.

I am very impressed by the thread of "What to shop in Hong Kong". The thread saw many coming together to provide genuine info abt the market for 1st & 2nd hand camera stuff in HK, KL and Bangkok. I think we shld encourage such type of thread.

Let's try to cut down on threads that help promote just merely finger exercise and nobody gain anything at the end of that discussion.

but all these are in banal talk....which is the channel for us to spout our crazy nonsense. I think banal talk has brought a lot of fun and laughter to this forum. And the other channels have been doing great I think, lots of useful info, lots of nice pictures. I think the moderators have done a good job in that aspect.

What I do agree is that the 30,000th post thing is not something to be proud of. A good contribution came from the "hehheh" thread. In this aspect, Banal Talk is being abused to a certain extent. (in my opinion)

Jeffrey, if you really mind the nonsense, just ignore Banal Talk lor. ;)

Hi,

I have moved this part of the thread to the Suggestion Box where discussion would not be messed up with the April Fools thread.

Hi jcryan55,

As much as we want most (if not all) of our posts to be informative and of high quality content, it is really quite difficult to ensure that. By and large, ClubSNAP tries to promote virtual community living for the photography enthusiasts and often, nonsense is an integral part (which is why we have Banal Talk).

I do understand that the amount of nonsense posts has shot up dramatically in part due to the April Fools Day thingy but I hope you agree with me that this does help to promote a friendlier ClubSNAP community. Apart from Photography, most of us here do enjoy life in itself and love to do so with "newfound" friends in our ClubSNAP community. ;)

The "Get New" Threads/Posts feature of our forum is great as a "catch-all" for all new posts since our last login. But perhaps an improvement to the system would be a way for everyone to set a preference on the forums where you are interested to read new threads/posts. Hopefully this will be implemented in version 3 of the vBulletin software that we are using. (Either that or our own development staff will work on a way for this).

Hope to see you continue to participate actively in our community!! ;)

I have to agree that the banal talk is beginning to turn me off.

What I would suggest is to have some kind of filtering function, whereby registered members can indicate which threads to ignore (in their preferences). This way I only see the threads I am interested in, rather than having to plow through pages of banal posts.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I have to agree that the banal talk is beginning to turn me off.

What I would suggest is to have some kind of filtering function, whereby registered members can indicate which threads to ignore (in their preferences). This way I only see the threads I am interested in, rather than having to plow through pages of banal posts.

We are looking into a more effective way for all members to filter and get New Post/Threads.

As i have always said, we are lack of coders/programmers. The current development speed is as fast as it get.

Those who are doing the development are doing so off our own free time (We need to work and TAKE PHOTOS TOO). ;p

Hope all members will bear with what we have for now.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

There should be a balance between serious photography and fun. I believe the aim of this forum is to gather people who share a common interest, which is photography. There will be some who are lao jiao, while some are newbies. It is just too difficult to cater for everyone's need.

Yes, I do agree to a certain extent that the recent posts has somewhat been degenerated a little, but I view it from a different angle. The April Fool's Day joke has actually made me feel more at home with this forum, and that itself is a credit.

Just take my case for example. I have not posted any shots since becoming a member. This may be due to my nature of being shy.
:embrass:

But wait, my first photograph was posted after the April Fool's Day in the Critique Corner as ths forum has really make me feel shiok.

Anyway, once again, I would like to thank all the members, moderators, and everyone else that have made this forum more livelier.

Keep up the good work and rest assured I will try to participate in this forum as much as possible.

:)

Just my $0.02 worth.

I guess because most of us hang in the forum and after just looking thru all the photos, we just go to banal talk to talk to our hearts content.

non serious talk but fun for us i guess....

im sure the moderators are doing a good job. i mean u dun see people cursing and swearing and all right?

Point taken jcryan55 ;)

I must confess the mods, myself included are sometimes guilty in generating bo biao threads and remarks...I suppose that's something we need to look into...

This is a fun forum, people come here not only for information but also for fun; thus sometimes it's hard not join in the excitement; but to say nobody gain anything at all, I'll tend to disagree. Photographers are mortals after all, perhaps...I just say perhaps after all 'nonsense', friendships are built and maintained! Agree?

As for the boliao threads like, sorry fellow mods like the hees and huhs...well, they are something that we can live without and I apologise for setting a poor example.

Still Clubsnap has a unique character and let's not compare us with the others...we're still growing! ;)

I found that all the non-photoggraphy related or "bo liao" threads in Banel Talk forum are acceptable, that's what banel talk is for at the first place right?

i am glad that everyone here are mature enough and know what should and shouldn't post, take a look at HWZ forum and u will know how messy it is.

However, i hope everyone can avoid posting non-photography related replies in other forums, eg. if someone post their photo in Critique corner, of cos he will hope that pple will seriously comments abt the photo...instead of going off topic and discuss abt something else and make the thread become just like another thread in Banel Talk. I am not against any moderators here, but at least the moderators have to set a good example, avoid making non-photography related replies, if possible may be he can reminds other user if his/her replies goes off topic. (no need to resort to deletion of thread or giving warning unless the user is spamming every thread with rubbish)

next, it will be the best if a user can customise which forums to show when they click on the show latest post button, too bad i am not good at programming at all, so i can't help to program it. If it is something abt hardware, i will defintely help.

Status
Not open for further replies.