Olympus XZ-1 F/1.8 - First Encounter

Hello all

I manage to try out the new Olympus XZ-1 at their hands-on workshop.

First impression is - it is impressive considering it as a compact camera. :thumbsup:

With the optical zoom, the aperture ranges from F/1.8 to F/2.5. Totally fast for a compact camera!

However, i forget to ask the retail price of this gem. :dunno:

Sorry for being direct but your poor random shots really kills the new XZ-1;)
Hope that readers dun take your lousy shots as a gauge of the camera's real performance.

Last edited:
betta01 said:
Hope that readers dun take your lousy shots as a gauge of the camera's real performance.

Sorry about being direct to your post too. But how do you know its not due to the camera? Perhaps the xz1 is not as good as you think?

May not be The person behind the lens.

Hi Bro. I have already mentioned it might be due to my hand shake if u noticed.

You are right bro. These lousy shots are for the purpose of showing noise performace, if you have read what i mentioned.

I have no intention to showcase these photos as masterpiece therefore there is not need for you to add such comments. Thank you.

I am not sure will it kill the new XZ-1, but i think most adults are able to determine what's best for them and will definitely try it out for themselves if they are interested. ;)

At the same time, i do consider myself as proficient enough to handle a camera. :)

One more thing, in case you are skeptical enough and sees that i am not an olympus user and is purposely trying to post lots of lousy shot of this camera, i am not. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I am only showing what i have on hand.

BTW, frankly speaking, i do have thoughts of getting this cam. Somehow i like this cam for it's spec. The hands-on experience is rather good too.

Last edited:
Sorry about being direct to your post too. But how do you know its not due to the camera? Perhaps the xz1 is not as good as you think?

May not be The person behind the lens.

Yo bro. Actually the XZ-1 is not bad la. But then, we have to see the price to see how worth it for this cam.

thanks for the samples.

I think if you don't pixel peep, the color looks pretty decent up to ISO 800.

TS mentioned it is just a hands on session? Don't think have the luxury to slowly try and take nice shots. There are other ppl waiting to try the cam mah..wait till its launched then see shots from the xz-1 owners to really gauge the performance ba..:)

TS mentioned it is just a hands on session? Don't think have the luxury to slowly try and take nice shots. There are other ppl waiting to try the cam mah..wait till its launched then see shots from the xz-1 owners to really gauge the performance ba..:)

Hey hey~ Thanks for understanding. There's only two XZ-1 and most of the people there are more interested in trying out this cam compared to the EPL-2.

OoStarDustoO said:
Yo bro. Actually the XZ-1 is not bad la. But then, we have to see the price to see how worth it for this cam.

Hi there, just wondering if you have used similar cameras of the same category like Canon S90/95, Panasonic LX3/5? If so, how they compare.. Cos once this one release, I think will have good deals for the others.. Currently the LX5 deal like already quite good but I'm waiting for XZ-1, somewhat impatiently! :)

the water color effect is pretty bad at 200. looks like the old casio cameras. seems to me that the loss of details is not due to the handshake.

the water color effect is pretty bad at 200. looks like the old casio cameras. seems to me that the loss of details is not due to the handshake.

Agree with you. The quality of the pics doesn't look appealing.

The sets at Olympus were pre production sets, so do take the results with a grain of salt, who knows? It might just improve

I like their EP2 but this is disappointing even if you say there are taken with pre prod units. Just have to take a big chunk of salt and wait for the retail units

Thanks for posting the photos. But I think, the photo quality is more or less typical of PnS. Good enough for online posting but if u pixel peep, it aint good. But I wonder if there is better lighting, whether it would be OK.

I think the benchmark should be Panasonic LX5 and Canon S95, as long as can match these 2 then ok liao..

Erm, isn't the RRP at $748? At least that's what was conveyed.

Agree ! Thanks for the series.

"A" for your effort ! Ignore those naysayers. :sticktong

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy to collect my XZ1 from MS Color today. $699.
My dream toy with 1.8. Just charged up the battery.