Olympus Warranty Policy

brapodam

Jun 12, 2009
AMK
I was wondering if anyone has any experience claiming warranty for Olympus gear before. What is really needed for a warranty claim?

Some background: I just got an E-M10 kit during the IT fair but prefer 12-50 for its range, so I want to sell my 14-42 EZ. But after emailing Olympus, their policy is that you need original proof of purchase and warranty (i.e. receipt and warranty card). Receipt I can probably get another one from the shop, but warranty card cannot (and since it's a kit, the body and lens share the same warranty card).

This means that (officially) either I forfeit the warranty for my E-M10 by giving the warranty card to the lens buyer (I won't do this, it's stupid), or the buyer will buy a lens with no warranty (or I be dishonest and tell any potential buyer that they can claim warranty)

TL;DR
Is warranty card really needed for warranty claims? (Olympus specific - I don't care what other companies do)

For Olympus, u need to keep the original warranty card.

For Olympus, u need to keep the original warranty card.

Hmm, so this means that anyone who buys my 14-42 will not have warranty :(

Technically I can arrange to accompany the potential buyer if he/she needs to claim warranty, but I don't think people will be very comfortable with such an arrangement

Usually I won't be concerned with warranty since it's highly likely they'll survive the warranty period, I've only ever had one of my stuff fail within the warranty period, else everything fails after the warranty period. What you're doing is fine, or alternatively they can pass it to you to send it for repairs. It's all based on trust

Kit len likely no warranty to the buyer as you need the warranty card for the body.
Lense no issue after yrs( no dropping) but body wise --> "touch wood".

ALL MUST have Warranty card and recepit or photocopy receipt
(MUST WITH THE LEN/BODY/KIT LEN --SERIAL NO. PRINTED ON THE RECEIPT/Copy)---> receipt without serial no are USELESS unless special pre-order lense/body.

Usually I won't be concerned with warranty since it's highly likely they'll survive the warranty period, I've only ever had one of my stuff fail within the warranty period, else everything fails after the warranty period. What you're doing is fine, or alternatively they can pass it to you to send it for repairs. It's all based on trust

I am sure someone from Olympus SG reads this forum.

Can't this SOMEONE comment here?

I am sure someone from Olympus SG reads this forum. Can't this SOMEONE comment here?

The thing is Olympus is well within its rights to even reject warranty coverage for items brought in by not the original owner but it has never done so.

Furnishing a warranty card and receipt is the norm for all brands , and Olympus has always tried to be flexible by allowing photocopies wherever permissible and never refusing coverage even for second hand items.

Off-hand I can already name you a few brands which will refuse warranty repair if it's:
- not Both original receipts and warranty are provided
- brought in by 2nd owner and beyond

But I haven't seen Olympus doing so and I'm just stating facts.

Hence the comment or answer you are looking for is ?

The thing is Olympus is well within its rights to even reject warranty coverage for items brought in by not the original owner but it has never done so.

Furnishing a warranty card and receipt is the norm for all brands , and Olympus has always tried to be flexible by allowing photocopies wherever permissible and never refusing coverage even for second hand items.

Off-hand I can already name you a few brands which will refuse warranty repair if it's:
- not Both original receipts and warranty are provided
- brought in by 2nd owner and beyond

But I haven't seen Olympus doing so and I'm just stating facts.

Hence the comment or answer you are looking for is ?
I don't know what answer seafood is looking for, but this is exactly the response I was hoping to see.

I wanted anecdotal evidence, not official policy. I already know the official policy: original proof of purchase and warranty. If someone from Olympus reads this, the only response from him/her would echo the official policy.

I don't know what answer seafood is looking for, but this is exactly the response I was hoping to see. I wanted anecdotal evidence, not official policy. I already know the official policy: original proof of purchase and warranty. If someone from Olympus reads this, the only response from him/her would echo the official policy.

I can give you my word that Olympus will be willing to help wherever reasonable , for example if the receipt furnished is a photocopy (well most receipts do fade after some time too) etc

Lastly , it does pay off if one is polite about seeking service beyond the norm.

Banging the table will likely end up having oneself receiving the shorter end of the stick ;) so far the only brand I had to bang table for reasonable service has 4 letters in its brand.

I was told it's a requirement when I dropped by the service center within the warranty period. I went back again recently but this time round, I had a extended warranty from Courts. I got a case number from courts and went to Olympus for the repair of my EM-5 which is coming near to 2 plus years old. The process took longer than expected as I had to send my camera in a second time but I was overall please that they manage to solve the issue.

hihi does it make a difference if you register the warranty online as opposed to bring the warranty card down? Could i check if the warranty is an international one too? TIA

Last edited:
hihi does it make a difference if you register the warranty online as opposed to bring the warranty card down? Could i check if the warranty is an international one too? TIA

If u register online , u get +3 additional months warranty. Otherwise there's no really a difference in the coverage.

Olympus doesn't provide international warranty anymore since end of last year onwards.

Sorry for digging up this old thread. I know Olympus nok longer gives worldwide warranty. Has anyone serviced their lens bought from overseas recently?

Sorry for digging up this old thread. I know Olympus nok longer gives worldwide warranty. Has anyone serviced their lens bought from overseas recently?

They will service the lens. Charge will be listed standard price :)