Olympus SP-550UZ review at DPreview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a PnS with good AF?

I'm asking because I don't know... :sweat:

Sony and Canon have good AF.

I've played with the Olympus... The AF is HORRIBLE. Even when selecting center focus, it still focused on some object on the far side of the frame rather than on the center portion. Shot to shot speed is poor. The IS works very well, but in line with the solutions from Sony, Canon and Panasonic.

Ah well, just another reason why I don't use PnS anymore. :bsmilie:

erm... i'm just using it as a PnS and actually got this camera mainly for the zoom and its design is very nice... unlike others, feeling solid in my hand...

my last digital cam is a casio Z3 and thus, its a very big improvement, can't really say much as compared to other cameras as never tried much of the camera of the same class...

image quality think really you'll have to see the test shots as posted by all the rest,

personally, find that the IS is really very good. only think is the wash or blow out of the LCD, which i've never experienced before, but don't really bother me.

As mentioned in reviews of the problem of focusing, yah, facing some problems some times. but not too critical.

think you'll really have to go down and test the camera yourself as mentioned...

oh, one thing that is bad is the very slow transfer speed of the camera... its only full speed usb...

the zoom is really amazing...

well, here's a pic i took on a boat going into kusu at max zoom, shows how the IS is... image only cropped...

personally i find IS not really useful, i used to own the canon 100-400mm IS.
500mm lens is not an easy lens to use, yor every mistake will b magnified.
try the shot with a good tripod, and some ppl with mirror lockup even.
Mayb also PnS not designed for major blowup.

I had a chance to use the oly 550 and canon g7 for a couple of days when a thai friend bought both. Other than the really loooong zoom, image quality against the g7 is visibly inferior.

I thought it was good.

I had a chance to use the oly 550 and canon g7 for a couple of days when a thai friend bought both. Other than the really loooong zoom, image quality against the g7 is visibly inferior.

I second that. I had the chance to play it at the IT show and the quality and AF speed was not even on par with my S2IS. I assume it was the 18X zoom that was making it slow so i zoom back to 12X and to my surprise it is still slower than my S2.

Slow AF, bad noise control and XD card. I think i give this camera a miss.

funny huh, so many different views on this camera...
adding mine, reviewed it for a few weeks.
to me it had a great lens + IS, but everything else mediocre to slow. AF was ok.
the XD card they loaned me froze/corrupt many times until I took it out of reinserted it. Like the old Smartmedia ones.
But strangely I contemplated buying it LOL

The xD format is crap.

One wonders why did Oly/Fuji released it at all.

Make sure the handbrake stays up! :bsmilie:

well if it's becos of the storage media, u will be missing great cams like f31fd.;)

PnS life cycles are barely six months nowadays; they hardly stay great.
(disclaimer: not the C-X0X0 series, those were fantastic, and they used CF cards!)

No big deal about the Fuji F31fd anyway; the high ISO quality, the low ISO is really nothing to shout about.

well if it's becos of the storage media, u will be missing great cams like f31fd.;)
juz wait for the replacement... fuji coming up with SD card slot in their newer batchs of cam. :thumbsup:

I just find the ISO performance of the camera rather bad, plus the focus is rather soft at the telescopic end.

Have you downloaded the latest firmware update from Olympus yet?
According to them, it addresses the poor ISO issue between 800 and 1600...

"Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ SP-550UZ ]
-
Improved exposure accuracy when shooting in Manual Mode with the ISO set between 800 and 1600."

Quote taken from Olympus website
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/sp550/index.cfm

Have you downloaded the latest firmware update from Olympus yet?
According to them, it addresses the poor ISO issue between 800 and 1600...

"Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ SP-550UZ ]
-
Improved exposure accuracy when shooting in Manual Mode with the ISO set between 800 and 1600."

Quote taken from Olympus website
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/sp550/index.cfm

erm... i've updated mine but think 400 will show grains already... trying to keep below 200...

When the SP-550UZ first came out, I was contemplating to get rid of my S2IS for this. But after reading the reviews on DCresource and here, I think I will keep the S2IS

;)

I recently bought a 3 month old 550UZ from fellow CSer. Was worried about the flaws noted in the reviews. Been playing around with the camera over the past few days... here are some unretouched pix (only resized) straight from the camera.

Super macro of a flower in my balcony...cam in P mode- think i see some blue fringes... :(
682jexk.jpg

100% crop
6cs0i1w.jpg

ISO 50 waterfall shot
4q51zsi.jpg

Moderate telephoto shot (ISO 100) - My son!
4lsvwxe.jpg

It gets pretty noisy from ISO 200 onwards... but I was expecting that so I manually set the ISO. When I allow the cam to choose ISO for me I do get quite a lot of ISO 200-400 shots for overcast and indoor shots which look unpleasantly noisy. I'll use my DSLR for those conditions from now on.

Don't have samples of those at the moment- family shots which I don't want to post.

The focusing is poor if you try to use the long end of the zoom indoors... it can't lock on to low-contrast subjects. If you keep the zooming to more reasonable focal lengths I find it does an okay job.

Status
Not open for further replies.