Olympus sharing 5-Axis Stabilization with Sony

Used to have Sony Alphas and I must say that their in body stabilizer already pretty damn good so I don't understand this. I never had to use a tripod in any conditions and can even take panorama shot with one hand. Their 16mp sensor is also a classic and still is one of the best sensor now.

Yes some people buy cameras based on brands and Sony does lose out to Canon and Nikon in terms of branding although they have some DSLRs which are better than these 2 brands. Sony's A57 is a superb camera which somehow did not take off.
that A57 is still is now even with A58... but pple r letting go tfor the newer! duh?

I am just comparing DSLRS under the same category like entry level against entry level and full frame against full frame in terms of price performance ratio etc. Comparing brands has always lead to discussions which are not always productive or cordial so I will not go further.

I have also owned the Nex 6 and 7 before. Performance wise not as good as the DSLRs and they are quite big and heavy esp the lenses. Can't see any benefits in them so now settle for M4/3. I shall not make any more statements about them as the last time when I post in the Sony forum, I kenna flame left right centre from a crazy guy who defend Sony like he owns the company........haha

I am just comparing DSLRS under the same category like entry level against entry level and full frame against full frame in terms of price performance ratio etc. Comparing brands has always lead to discussions which are not always productive or cordial so I will not go further.

I have also owned the Nex 6 and 7 before. Performance wise not as good as the DSLRs and they are quite big and heavy esp the lenses. Can't see any benefits in them so now settle for M4/3. I shall not make any more statements about them as the last time when I post in the Sony forum, I kenna flame left right centre from a crazy guy who defend Sony like he owns the company........haha

Agreed with you. Everything when brand vs brand discussion came about, people will get emotional and stuff like that. Although I would like to point out (also for the last time before I got kicked hard), there are no which brand better than the other, don't care if it was entry level to entry level, full frame to full frame... and as I said before, each brands had its own strengths and weaknesses... there are no one brand better than the other.

Okay. Lets leave this discussion here as it is.

That is totally the point I am trying to make in my first post. m4/3 and 4/3 format sensor are of different size, that is why Olympus would not be interested in the APS-C sensor and FF sensor! I have been trying to state that in both my post already.

And in my first post, I stated that whatever Sony could offer that might interest Olympus (the key word here is 'might') was SLT technology... and better sensor (in m4/3 format) which Olympus was already using (the sensor).

hmmm...?? i tot m4/3 and 4/3 are using same sensor... difference is one is mirrorless and one ain't...?? as for SLT that's not a sensor but translucent mirror... means that's more for 4/3s and not m4/3 since there is no reflector mirror...

anyway someone has already mentioend the PDAF sensor... that's something to look forwards to m4/3 sensors if the rumor is true...

regards,
wacky

Used to have Sony Alphas and I must say that their in body stabilizer already pretty damn good so I don't understand this. I never had to use a tripod in any conditions and can even take panorama shot with one hand. Their 16mp sensor is also a classic and still is one of the best sensor now.

Yes some people buy cameras based on brands and Sony does lose out to Canon and Nikon in terms of branding although they have some DSLRs which are better than these 2 brands. Sony's A57 is a superb camera which somehow did not take off.

actually sony's brand in consumer electronics is there... it's only in terms of cameras canon and nikon are still having the "better" brand...

but hey u look at mobile phones... it used to be nokia... samsung... motorola having the so called "brand" some 5-6yrs ago... and apple has it's brand more in PCs/music players... and when iphone came out wat happened to nokia and motorola...??

sure... having big brand DOES have its advantages... but if big brands doesn't innovate and catch up with the competition... they may still be over-taken by upstarts... :p

regards,
wacky

Last edited:
hmmm...?? i tot m4/3 and 4/3 are using same sensor... difference is one is mirrorless and one ain't...?? as for SLT that's not a sensor but translucent mirror... means that's more for 4/3s and not m4/3 since there is no reflector mirror...

anyway someone has already mentioend the PDAF sensor... that's something to look forwards to m4/3 sensors if the rumor is true...

regards,
wacky

Haiz... I really should go and improve my English...

When I say m4/3 and 4/3 sensor are of different size, I meant they are different size as compared to other sensors like APS-C and FF sensor, thus the sentence behind that first sentence. Secondly, m4/3 and 4/3 are not the same sensor, they shared the same sensor format but not the same sensor.

And I am well aware that SLT is not sensor but translucent mirror, what I meant in my first post was that Olympus might be interested in the SLT technology but not the APS-C and FF sensor technology... and I quote from my first post to this thread,

"The other area that Olympus might be interested in is the SLT technology that she could make use of in her DSLR lineup (if Olympus decided to go back to DSLR). "

Note that I say, DSLR lineup if they decided to go back to DSLR. I have not mentioned anything mirrorless in that statement.

I hope that clear up some air.

Haiz... I really should go and improve my English...

dunno... either that it's my english that needs to improve... :/

rhino123 said:
When I say m4/3 and 4/3 sensor are of different size, I meant they are different size as compared to other sensors like APS-C and FF sensor, thus the sentence behind that first sentence. Secondly, m4/3 and 4/3 are not the same sensor, they shared the same sensor format but not the same sensor.

And I am well aware that SLT is not sensor but translucent mirror, what I meant in my first post was that Olympus might be interested in the SLT technology but not the APS-C and FF sensor technology... and I quote from my first post to this thread,

Note that I say, DSLR lineup if they decided to go back to DSLR. I have not mentioned anything mirrorless in that statement.

I hope that clear up some air.

right... it does clear up... :)

regards,
wacky

I think when people are considering a camera system, it does meant people are considering beyond the camera body alone. If you look beyond the electronics, Canon and Nikon do have a vast range of optics to consider.