Olympus OMD E-M5 Focus Peaking Trick

napalmdog

Sep 4, 2008
I compiled the tips from 43rumors.com comments box, thanks to user Lucio for this. Credit goes to him. This method, no need to use raw+jpeg

1. Go to Menu 1, set Picture mode to Art Filter 11, set Type to II
2. Go to Reset/Myset, choose Myset1, then Set
3. Change back to your normal shooting mode… (P, A, S, M)
4. Go to Settings > Button Dial > Button Function. Set Fn1 function to Myset1
5. Try it out. When you need to focus peak, just hold the Fn1 button and focus. Release to return to normal mode, then shoot.

Finally, a usable focus peaking in Olympus :D

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing but the Fn1 button is hard to reach

Here's the demonstration video i found in youtube. Credit goes to Giulio and Lucio

[video=youtube;UpOqo6gA92Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= UpOqo6gA92Y[/video]

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/focus-peaking-olympus-om-d-e-m5-35442/

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing but the Fn1 button is hard to reach

you can use any Fn button if im not mistaken, maybe with the battery grip buttons you can use also, not sure though

Last edited:
Awesome! This is very useful.

napalmdog said:
you can use any Fn button if im not mistaken, maybe with the battery grip buttons you can use also, not sure though

Can the record button be assigned instead?

Can the record button be assigned instead?

Sadly, no. I checked and you can only use Myset on the Fn1 and the battery grip buttons (BFn1, BFn2). To me Fn1 placement is okay, it takes me about a second or two to hold it and focus. I wouldn't use manual focus for quick action anyway, probably use hyperfocal focus instead.

Finally someone put this trick in CS :) Now we know why Olympus stubbornly refuse to put focus peaking in OM-D and new PEN because it's already there all the way :)

I can't believe this feature has been there since day one and no-one realized it! It's Mind Blowing!

Thanks alot. With this function, I am back with manual focus lens.It's much easiler to focus.

Just got a 90mm f2.5 adaptall and is now waiting for my adapter m39-m4/3 from ebay for my industar 55mm f2.8.

Last edited: