Olympus EP3 food Photography (Warning: amaturish attempt) Critic please.

fattybombombom

Jun 29, 2004
singapore
Ep3 + 17mm f.3.5 ISO 1600
Thunder Tea Rice from Kuala Lumpur; Puchong
Image taken straight out of camera. No editing.
P6224937_zpsc534e16f.jpg

I am looking for a marco lens for table (restaurant) food Photography to go with this camera.
Please recommend.

SingaporeMomBlogs - Irene Soh | Singapore Mom Blogger

Instead of criticising you, we should encourage you. E-P3 is a good camera. More than good enough for food photos.
The photo is slightly out of focus. You do not need a macro lens. Even the 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 (Olympus' "higher end") kit lens can do a decent close up shot.

Instead of criticising you, we should encourage you. E-P3 is a good camera. More than good enough for food photos.
The photo is slightly out of focus. You do not need a macro lens. Even the 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 (Olympus' "higher end") kit lens can do a decent close up shot.

ricohflex, thank you for taking the time to view the thread and reply.

How is the 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 a "better/higher end" kit lens as compared to to the one that came with EP3?
Focusing distance shorter?

Last edited:
SeraiThaiRestaurant_zpse940153b.jpg

I find myself struggling in low light condition.
And also hard to focus. 1 hand carry baby 1 hand shoot. ;p
Using the same 17mm f1.8 lens. straight from camera. no editing
Serai Thai Restaurant Shah Alam

Last edited:
Actually for food shots, the kit lenses are close enough.

You mean compared to the 14-42 (closest focus distance 0.25m) plastic mount kit lens? That is OK too.

The 12-50 has better spec and seems to be kit for higher end OMD. It has a metal mount and is weatherproofed. It has a so-called "macro" setting (focus range 0.2m to 0.5m) which is not a true macro but close enough for food shots.

Or else forget both and buy the Panasonic Lumix G VARIO 14-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. M.O.I.S.lens. (closest focus distance 0.3m).

By the way, did you remember to set the E-P3 to IS mode 1 "on" when using the 17mm lens?

But if you really want to buy a macro lens for micro 4/3, there are two excellent lenses.

• Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS

• Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 60mm f/2.8 ED Macro

Although both are excellent, the Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS may be easier to use. It has two focus range settings - Limit or Focus Full. There is an On/Off switch for the Mega OIS. This means you can leave it "On" to use the lens image stabilisation and turn off the E-P3 In-Body-IS when using this lens.

The Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 60mm f/2.8 ED Macro has 3 focus range settings, (this can be finicky) which some users find frustrating if they change subject quickly & forgot to set the correct range and spoil/miss the shot.

Last edited:
Wow..... ricohflex,

Amazing! Yeah I'm pretty sure the IS mode is "ON".
We sometimes get invited for food tasting.... so I really thought of getting better lenses.
Pretty embarrassing to get blur, "unappetizing" pictures.
So thought of buying one that fits the job.

The PL 45mm f.2.8 does sound like a great lens for table photography. But, the Olympus 60mm is a great lens as well..... But would 60mm be "too long" for table photography?

Do experiment with the E-P3 built-in flash for food photography. Try it in TTL fill-in flash mode. Or set it to manual 1/32 power. Quite good. No need to depend on sensor's low light (high ISO) ability. Once you use flash, there is no need to worry about hand shake. Watch out the reflections off metal spoons or white plates.

Yes. 60mm is too long. It becomes equivalent to 120mm on MFT. 45mm macro give a wider angle. Though still 90mm on MFT.
Other MFT users get pretty good photos even with the kit lens. The kit zoom has the wider angle (14mm is a 28mm on MFT) to 42mm.
Don't spend too much. The cheap Panasonic Lumix G VARIO 14-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. M.O.I.S. lens is more than good enough for food photos to upload on a web food blog.

But if you like the
Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS, then go for it.
Notice that this lens is not named "Lumix" but is good enough to bear the "Leica" name.

panasonic_45mm_review-275x225.jpg

Last edited:
Seng Kee Black Herbal Chicken Soup
Unfortunately, I think standards has dropped tremendously!

Which Seng Kee branch you went? I went to both Tanah Merah Branch and the Bedok Main Branch and thought that the Bedok one is much nicer.

I've always visited the main branch at 467 Changi Road.

I've always visited the main branch at 467 Changi Road.

Serious? I thought the bedok one was the main branch cus there's a chinese sign at kembangan that says "Branch"

And sorry, i was talking about the kembangan branch, not tanah merah. Paisay.

Last edited:
looks like you have some focusing issues.. you may take some time to know your camera and lens better

Is your camera too near to your food?

On the focusing issue, not sure if u can pls share the f-stop and shutter speed u use. The folks here may be able to comment if pics are blur due to camera shake cos ur shutter speed is too slow for hand holding. Or maybe something else. Not easy with baby in one hand.