Olympus E-P2 launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I have to say the C-AF Tracking too... but that has yet to be tested... but if it works as advertised, it is a revolutionary AF system for CDAF cameras. One of a kind.

i wonder if that can be implemented in firmware too.

prompting ahead in case your next question is, isn't that what the LCD does as well? yes... but bear in mind for those far sighted and using reading glass they can't see close enough to get precise focusing, that's where the EVF aid us.

../azul123

if it zooms in then it makes sense and will be easier to use than zooming the lcd image. otherwise it's no different from trying to manual focusing on an SLR without any focusing aid.

Well it zooms in with LCD as well... the issue which I think many don't get yet is that they have not reached that stage in their life where you can't really see the sharpness at close range unless you hold the LCD like 2feet away. At 2feet away how to be precise?

That is why many don't see why the big deal with EVF.

../azul123

Well it zooms in with LCD as well... the issue which I think many don't get yet is that they have not reached that stage in their life where you can't really see the sharpness at close range unless you hold the LCD like 2feet away. At 2feet away how to be precise?

../azul123

right now i have to focus on LCD without my glasses but the LCD is so darn shaky. but no choice. just got the E-P1 not long ago for overseas trip so can't really justify replacing it with an E-P2. have to make do.

right now i have to focus on LCD without my glasses but the LCD is so darn shaky. but no choice. just got the E-P1 not long ago for overseas trip so can't really justify replacing it with an E-P2. have to make do.
I had the G1 (now it's my son's) that is why I know how it functions with manual focus lens and it is just so good that EVF is a must for me.

../azul123

../azul123

Absolutely right! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Which one is nicer :bsmilie: :lovegrin:

ZURFRONT-S.JPG

4080573254_89cc25ce5d.jpg

4079813151_a8a9f6bb14.jpg

Last edited:
Why is E-P2 just like an E-P1, but with a superb EVF, and some improvements based from consumer feedback of E-P1 ?

A review by Pekka Potka website may provide some clues:

"People at Olympus did not confirm this but obviously VF-2 has Epson´s new TFT panel."

"Too bad Epson product development was half a year late for E-P1. "

So they couldn't release the EVF with E-P1 because of Epson, who just released its panel a few weeks ago ? :think:

Anyway, this guy provides very good hands-on insights with the E-P2 EVF, even compared to Nikon D3X and Canon 5D mk2.

"People at Olympus did not confirm this but obviously VF-2 has Epson´s new TFT panel. Anyway, it has 1.44 megapixels, it´s big and it´s bright. I compared VF-2 to Canon´s EOS 5D MkII and Nikon D3x. Not fair of course, but this new EVF really has a big image. With my glasses I can see the whole image and it´s, well, big. In bright daylight it is no match to these full format 35mm viewfinders. They are smooth, continuous tone, true color; VF-2 on the other hand is still artificial, has paler colors and shows it´s pixel nature in comparison. But when you come to a dimly lit or even an average room the relation changes. VF-2 is brighter and nicer. And when you go somewhere really dark you can´t actually see anything through these fancy optical viewfinders - and 5D MkII stops focusing at all. VF-2 on the other hand turns quite grainy but I can still compose, and the E-P2 focuses at a press of a button just fine."

"After half a day I actually kind of forgot about EVF, it was so nice to work with because you can evaluate very quickly exposure and DOF when you get used to it. It´s a keeper for me."

http://web.me.com/pekkapotka/pekkapotka.com/Blog/Merkinnät/2009/11/5_Merkintä_1.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
Of the soon-to-be introduced new lenses, I find the new 14-150 lens to be the most interesting. The PEN body and this lens will be the perfect travel combo - if the image quality of the 14-150 will be of the usual Zuiko high quality.

For now, the E-P1 and the Panansonic 20mm f/1.7 is the perfect everyday camera.

I hope can opt for combo E-P2 and 14-150 instead of standard kit lens, from what I read so far (I maybe wrong), the package is E-P2 + kit + EVF... what would be great if E-P2 + (swap kit with 14-150) + EVF. So looks like those who don't need EVF will get it anyway as it is a package? I am ok with that as I want the EVF all along not sure others will agree with that.

../azul123

Haha, I have seen you post so much about your G1, nice to know you love it.

Of course, I know about the G1, GH1. It certainly has better handling than E-P1 and GF1. But did it not occur to you that the primary driving force for most buyers of E-P1 and GF1 is the RF look, inspite of their shortcomings ? We just work around it. And more improved RF-look bodies will come, I'm sure. Now, we just talk about E-P1/GF1 like G1 did not exist at all.

Flame retardant suit ? Come on, we are not children, it is just a camera, and there are hundreds of choices. Whatever you say about G1, it does not affect us who know about G1 long time ago but went instead for GF1 or E-P1. Of course, you might influence some who did not know about G1 in the first place, feel free, no problem :), after all, it is still m4/3.

i'm not a panny fanboy, i really really love the pen, but the G1 already has this tracking thing inbuilt. :D

*i think i better prepare flame retardant suit just in case.*

Last edited:
Haha, I have seen you post so much about your G1, nice to know you love it.

And more improved RF-look bodies will come, I'm sure. Now, we just talk about E-P1/GF1 like G1 did not exist at all.

hheh no lah i dont love my G1. and i'm the last person to recommend or try to influence people to get the G1. in fact, when my cousin asked me if he should get the camera, i actually sucumbed to the dark side and told him to get the canikon. lol.

its just that i've realised how some people see the features of the E-P2 as so revolutionary, when it actual fact it was already been implemented in other m4/3 cameras.

but i guess you're right. when u look at the E-P2, its actually just comparing the GF1 and E-P1. since they're in the same category as RF kind of cameras. this is the crux of the argument that i have failed to realise.

my bad. :D

Last edited:
i'm not a panny fanboy, i really really love the pen, but the G1 already has this tracking thing inbuilt. :D

*i think i better prepare flame retardant suit just in case.*

:flame: you ask for it

:bsmilie:

Ppl buy the whole package.
If there are 2 girls and both know how to cook nice food, one is plain and the other is beautiful and you have a choice to pick on who to date first. Make your choice. Be honest. Who will you pick first? :think:

If there are 2 girls and both know how to cook nice food, one is plain and the other is beautiful and you have a choice to pick on who to date first. Make your choice. Be honest. Who will you pick first? :think:

Neither,cause must see age first,scarly pretty one like some 14 year old xmm,cannot,later people say me:bsmilie:

pick both. plain reserved for house works. Pretty one reserved for...

Status
Not open for further replies.