Olympus 45mm f1.8

sgk2016

Feb 8, 2016
Singapore
I have Olympus 12-40mm pro lens, should I go for 45mm f1.8??

can share reason why you going for the 45mm f1.8?

Can't get just one prime must have a set! :)

I have the 12-35, went for the 42.5/1.8. No regrets from me. Should find plenty of use with it if you want to do lots of portraits, and have the space for the lengthier FOV.

I have the 45mm and I find it very tight - which is good for portraits and some types of close ups.

But I find myself wanting the 12-40mm more for everyday scenes.

Just got my 12 40mm after moving back from Sony. No regrets getting it as it is super sharp. Close to or as good as primes performance.

Just got my 12 40mm after moving back from Sony. No regrets getting it as it is super sharp. Close to or as good as primes performance.

What makes u come back to m43 from Sony?

Under good lighting, m43 produce sharper picture frame to frame. I don't need anything more than 24mm. .esp when it is so sharp. Also the AF on Sony bugs me. I am happy with the size, the image quality and the price. I think I can get better bang for the buck in terms of performance.

My view la..

Under good lighting, m43 produce sharper picture frame to frame. I don't need anything more than 24mm. .esp when it is so sharp. Also the AF on Sony bugs me. I am happy with the size, the image quality and the price. I think I can get better bang for the buck in terms of performance.

My view la..

which sony body ar? hehe. just curious

... for those with deep pockets

No la , it's just that this lens is worth one eating a whole month of bread lor.

Some can even spend $15k for a F0.95 MF lens in comparison lol.

Last edited:
which sony body ar? hehe. just curious
The original A7. I used it for 1 yr plus. With the 35mm f2.8 and 2470mm , it is relatively small still. But if I want to get 55mm or 85mm equivalent primes, they are much bigger than m43. I do miss the panorama mode thought. I print up to super 8R and I don't need 24mp. As long as I keep my iso below 6400, m43 IQ is good enough for me.

Reactions: Benares
The original A7. I used it for 1 yr plus. With the 35mm f2.8 and 2470mm , it is relatively small still. But if I want to get 55mm or 85mm equivalent primes, they are much bigger than m43. I do miss the panorama mode thought. I print up to super 8R and I don't need 24mp. As long as I keep my iso below 6400, m43 IQ is good enough for me.

Good to know thanks.

Lighter setup for portraits and if coupled with mcon-p01 can used for macros. 12-40 is still heavier.

Depends on whether you need the extra speed (1 1/3 stops) and shallower depth of field :)

If for example you plan to do portraiture in areas with a lot of space, I think the 45mm f1.8 will be very useful. But if you want general purpose lens for situations where the 12-40mm isn't fast enough, IMHO it's better to get either a 17mm or 25mm prime.

Thinking of getting the a6300 then i read this...