Olympics: China may soon replaces US as the sports powerhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilis128

Dec 13, 2003
some interesting stats:

LA 1984 --> winner US (83 golds), China 4th (15 golds)
Seoul 1988 ---> winner USSR (55 golds), China 11th (5 golds)
Barcelona 1992-> winner US (45 golds), China 4th (16 golds)
Atlanta 1996---> winner US (44 golds), china 4th (16 golds)
Sydney 2000---> winner US (40 golds), China 3rd (28 golds)

as of yesterday:

Athens 2004---> current leading US (14 golds), China 2nd (14 golds).

i think it is possible by Beijing 2008, at their own turf, China will replace the US as the ultimate sports powerhouse!.

what say u?

Once athletic events begin, China will trail the US. The US has athletes in almost every event but not China. And then there's the genetics. So it's still doubtful that China can take the lead by 2008. :think:

i did consider that fact also..

however, as wth most sports, host will always have strong home turf advantage.. eg. sth korea n japan in the last world-cup..
no doubt that the US may still be the overall leader this olympic.. but 4 yrs down the road, who knows..? :think:

Well i can see the china are much better now and they've currently got the most gold medal..but perhaps 4years later...they will definately prepare very well as it's organizing in their country..so who know's by that time all of them are crazy already. :)

StreetShooter said:
By that time half of the US team will be of Chinese origin.

and the other half taken by singapore? :bsmilie:

Newman said:
Once athletic events begin, China will trail the US. The US has athletes in almost every event but not China. And then there's the genetics. So it's still doubtful that China can take the lead by 2008. :think:

well.. the results say it all :)

34 US golds vs 31 China golds..

China has way surpassed its 20 golds target..

Status
Not open for further replies.