Oly lens price

Status
Not open for further replies.
ch5800 said:
For vpostUSA there is another base charge. So have you decide to order from them?

I am getting more and more interested in this 50mm macro lens but the current local price of $882 is a little too steep for me.

Hi ch5800,

Maybe you should wait and see if Oly SG have any good offer during the Comex early next month. 1-4th September 2005, which is next Thursday. ;p

:cheers:

hi kktan,

does olympus SG reduce the price of lens?
So far, based on what i can see they just bundle the 40-150mm lens and maybe some tripods, bags, CF cards.

Never seen them reducing or offering any lens package.
Worst still, they sell at their retail price. You can definitely get it cheaper from other camera shops.

doubliewkay said:
hi kktan,

does olympus SG reduce the price of lens?
So far, based on what i can see they just bundle the 40-150mm lens and maybe some tripods, bags, CF cards.

Never seen them reducing or offering any lens package.
Worst still, they sell at their retail price. You can definitely get it cheaper from other camera shops.

Hi doubliekay,

Wasn't aware that Oly SG never offer or reduce any lens package during show. :cry:

Was hoping that they do. Maybe other camera shops will have special offer for lenses during the show period. :dunno:

Thanks for the info. :)

Unfortunately will be away during that Comdex period. But lens alone promotion is of slight chance.

Was torn between the 50mm and 14-54mm decision. Don't think anyone want to buy the 14-45mm (unless a E300 owner broke it and want to continue using the same lens)

Basically,
14-45,50,40-150
or
14-54,40-150 plus one 14-45 keeping dust

In both way need ~$850.

ykkok said:
Hey guys, buying lens is an investment, but body I'm afraid is not. So, we should separately save and plan for lenses and body.

No matter what new E-body comes out, the 50-200mm or other great Oly lenses will still perform as it is now, or even better. Good lenses are asset.

I felt that I's nut getting such an expensive 50mm macro initially, but now I realise that, it's indeed worth the money! It's a keeper.

Agreed but if you want to jump to another brand then u have lots of luggage. So its all on individual preference. :devil:

ch5800 said:
Unfortunately will be away during that Comdex period. But lens alone promotion is of slight chance.

Was torn between the 50mm and 14-54mm decision. Don't think anyone want to buy the 14-45mm (unless a E300 owner broke it and want to continue using the same lens)

Basically,
14-45,50,40-150
or
14-54,40-150 plus one 14-45 keeping dust

In both way need ~$850.

I'll choose option 1.

Your 14-150 is covered and you get a super sharp 50mm F2 Macro. ;p

from images i have seen so far, the 14-54mm isn't really sharper than the 14-45mm but you do gain on having a larger aperture, faster focusing and more quiet zoom motor.

if you already have the 14-45mm, I will suggest you get the 50mm as it will easily thrash both the above mentioned lenses in terms of sharpness, speed and also offers amazing macro performance, not to mention that it will make a very good portrait lens.

For 14-54mm, I am after it's advantage as a more versatile lens when travelling. Thanks to Oly, I am not afraid of changing lens but I don't travel purely for photography and therefore a good walkaround lens like this really helps.

On the other hand, the F2.0 len is really an impressive piece of len. Try in CP and almost cannot let it go... :) I can imagine shooting my children with this F2.0 indoor with available light...

It looks like the fate of on the road of ending up with 14-54,50,40-150 eventually

For those who have the 50mm, how often you are using it? If you are just going out and only want to bring 1 len, do you get your 14-45 or your 50 along?

tao said:
from images i have seen so far, the 14-54mm isn't really sharper than the 14-45mm but you do gain on having a larger aperture, faster focusing and more quiet zoom motor.

if you already have the 14-45mm, I will suggest you get the 50mm as it will easily thrash both the above mentioned lenses in terms of sharpness, speed and also offers amazing macro performance, not to mention that it will make a very good portrait lens.

if you really want to have sharp lens in your stable. my recommendation is:

1) 11-22mm
2) 50mm macro
3) 50-200mm
4) 150 mm prime
5) 300 mm prime

these lenses are known to be tack sharp for their images.

cant really comment on the 7-14 as i dont have them for test (not many have them as well). but 50-200 is no brainer for sharpness. check out dpreview for the images. need less to say 150mm prime and 300 prime are godly as well!

i use 50mm macro mainly for portrait shoots or macro which is about 5% of my shoot. but it is a must have lens despite that fact. you can find it to be a life saver in low lighting condition.

11-22mm - 80% :D
50mm marco - 15% :)

At the last Oly expedition, the 50mm is on 99% with 50-200mm 1%. I was careful not to have to long period of time with the 50-200mm. The "Buyrus" is strong and i have to try very hard to resist it. :sweatsm:

14-45mm - 95% in the dry cabinet. :bsmilie:

yep, have read good things abt the 11-22mm, looks like it is not only amazingly sharp, but it is also distortion free despite the ultra-wide angle. certainly the next lens on my list. :)

According to this article, seems that the performance of an OM 50mm MC lens comes close to the Digital Zuiko 50mm macro.

All-in-all the classic Zuiko came very close to the performance of the new macro which can´t be a big surprise though - conventional 50mm lenses are among the most simple designs around and with reasonable simplicity comes often performance. However, with no data coupling whatsoever (especially no aperture data) the compromise seems a little over the edge. The viewfinder quality of the E-300 doesn´t help either regarding manual focusing.

Kinda reflect my findings with the OM 50mm on OM adaptor. Another excuse not to get the macro DZ 50mm unless if I need it for macro. ;p

Yes, I already have the OM adapter and the MC 50mm f1.8 lens. The bokeh is truly very nice.

However, sometimes I have problem ensuring it is sharp using manual focus at f1.8/f2.8. I wish that there is a focus split screen available like that of the OM-2N.

Also being manual focus, I couldn't use it much on my elder kid for indoor shots. One thing amuse me is the auto exposure of the E-300 at > f2.8 is accurate enough.

ch5800 said:
Yes, I already have the OM adapter and the MC 50mm f1.8 lens. The bokeh is truly very nice.

However, sometimes I have problem ensuring it is sharp using manual focus at f1.8/f2.8. I wish that there is a focus split screen available like that of the OM-2N.

Also being manual focus, I couldn't use it much on my elder kid for indoor shots. One thing amuse me is the auto exposure of the E-300 at > f2.8 is accurate enough.

True... a shame that the E-300's focusing screen cannot be changed.

What I usually do is to switch to f1.8 to get max brightness, then switch back to the aperture I want to shoot. f1.8 is very challenging DOF is too shallow and obvious corner softness. But from f2.8 onwards, when focus is spot on, the results is very very good. Also, WB must set custom everytime for best results.

By the way, the E-1 and E-300, unlike most DSLRs, do meter thru' the lens reasonably accurately. Which is why when set to A mode, the metering in ESP and center-weighted works pretty well. In a way, I suspect that they are designed to work with manual lenses. :thumbsup:

ch5800 said:
For vpostUSA there is another base charge. So have you decide to order from them?

I am getting more and more interested in this 50mm macro lens but the current local price of $882 is a little too steep for me.

hi guys, just want to know how much total in SGD if i order lens (eg... lets say a 50mm marcro, or a 50-200mm or 11-12mm) from tristate and then send thru vpostUSA? need to pay any tax? what are all the costs that i need to pay to reach my door? :bsmilie:

need to know the breakdown before i know how much i can save.

thanks!
:sweatsm:

say123 said:
hi guys, just want to know how much total in SGD if i order lens (eg... lets say a 50mm marcro, or a 50-200mm or 11-12mm) from tristate and then send thru vpostUSA? need to pay any tax? what are all the costs that i need to pay to reach my door? :bsmilie:

need to know the breakdown before i know how much i can save.

thanks!
:sweatsm:

1usd = 1.67 SGD tats how they calculate. If you courier inland into USA to your friends/relatives place then you need to pay the shipping charges. Then from there ship to singapore then u need to pay the vpostUSA charges. Yeah 5% gst applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.