Oly eyes 20% share in hi-end digicams

Everyone is assuming. Olympus SG hardly have thick fat margins and trying to stay competitive with the region they are giving up their profits to prevent too much grey market imports. Because there is a 7% GST in Singapore, many brands are suffering as consumers are going across the border or to places like Hong Kong to buy stuff.

They have been selling PENs with almost no profit considering the amount of money poured out to R&D, it is a fact that they are merely pushing out the PENs at that low price to win customers over. Yes they manage to stay profitable but not enough to be giving out big fat bonuses. Maybe that is the DNA of the company.

Should they end up going the way of Canon and splurge large amount of money to market, I am sure price tags of products will start going up up up... that would be quite sad.

That's where the puzzling part is, ha. Oly Sg does not do any R&D, assuming I'm correct, it's a sales company and Oly in Japan is the manufacturer which does all the R&D etc.

Actually this can get pretty sensitive, so I'd stop here.

Ah... How about Samsung? Is it included?

Ha we should get a GFK rep to join CS. Well it's as per how the market is exactly right now. All interchangeable lens camera brands included.

Remember NEX3/5 using GFK data to promote themselves over Nov/Dec period as the top camera in the "mirrorless interchangeable lens camera" category?

Anyways this is getting OOP. I'm quite excited to see Oly's lineup too!

Ha we should get a GFK rep to join CS. Well it's as per how the market is exactly right now. All interchangeable lens camera brands included.

Remember NEX3/5 using GFK data to promote themselves over Nov/Dec period as the top camera in the "mirrorless interchangeable lens camera" category?

Hahahah,I don't even know what is GFK data:embrass::bsmilie:

Hahahah,I don't even know what is GFK data:embrass::bsmilie:

Ha, GFK is a research company dealing with consumer electronics, and where the brands get the numbers from. They can't pluck the numbers from air right? Heh. ;)

Stats like that always end up being used in many ways :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Here's a little more fuel from 43rumors site:

Both Panasonic and Olympus will release tons of new stuff. It looks like Olympus had to make an unusual January announcement of the new Olympus E-PL2 at the CES in Las Vegas to make “room” for the future product announcements :)

The french website “Forum Olympus France” had a smalltalk with Christopher Valentine (Marketing Director, Olympus France). At the end of the interview Christopher explains how Olympus will expand their market share in France (google English translation): “I think we can legitimately aim for the fourth place of the photo market in France (in volume). In order to do so, Olympus will be able to lever notably on the products presented today (Jan 6, 2011), but also on other particularly ground breaking novelties that we will be announcing shortly and throughout the year. Thus, announcements will be made next February and March, others will follow…..”

As you know Olympus will announce at least one pro Micro Four Thirds camera and three new pro pancakes within June!

Looks like 2011 is going to be even more exciting than last yr :cheers:

As you know Olympus will announce at least one pro Micro Four Thirds camera and three new pro pancakes within June!
june 2011 !?!?! :eek: - I want it in stores in MAY (just in for baby delivery) please

Last edited:
As you know Olympus will announce at least one pro Micro Four Thirds camera and three new pro pancakes within June![/COLOR][/I][/b]
Looks like 2011 is going to be even more exciting than last yr :cheers:

What do you think an OLY pro m 4/3 will look like, something like a GH2?

No, still PEN form-factor but with swivel LCD, weather sealed, 2 flash .. er what they call that to put the flash thingy ?
one for EVF, another for ... er .. flash? :angel:

or may be just one but this is with built-in EVF (which can be turned-off to safe batteries)

Imaging Resource Interview: Peter Ewen, Katie Roseman, and Sally Smith-Clemens, Olympus
By Michael R. Tomkins, The Imaging Resource
(Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 13:08 EST)

Convening something of a round table discussion, Dave Etchells, Publisher, and Shawn Barnett, Senior Editor of Imaging-Resource.com, joined Peter Ewen, DSLR Product Marketing Director, Katie Roseman, DSLR Product Manager, and Sally Smith Clemens, Product Manager, all of Olympus Imaging America Inc. The interview covers what Olympus sees coming for 2011, how a Pen camera was used in a feature film, as well as how new products are being received in both the Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lines.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
zan82 said:
That's where the puzzling part is, ha. Oly Sg does not do any R&D, assuming I'm correct, it's a sales company and Oly in Japan is the manufacturer which does all the R&D etc.

Actually this can get pretty sensitive, so I'd stop here.

I think I did not articulate myself. What I mean is Pen overall us selling at below it's actual value. Not saying Oly SG invests into R&D or manufacturing.

i seriously dun know how the PEN Pro will look like. If i were to guess, i believe its going to look like the PEN2 but bigger due to better seals & material. Focus module might be something like the Fuji X100 Hybrid AF. IQ wise i think it'll not be like E5 however, shud be lower.

Anyone fancy a Pro Ltd Ed forged out from a block of titanium, like a Vertu? :bsmilie: :heart: :devil: :lovegrin:

i seriously dun know how the PEN Pro will look like. If i were to guess, i believe its going to look like the PEN2 but bigger due to better seals & material. Focus module might be something like the Fuji X100 Hybrid AF. IQ wise i think it'll not be like E5 however, shud be lower.

Anyone fancy a Pro Ltd Ed forged out from a block of titanium, like a Vertu? :bsmilie: :heart: :devil: :lovegrin:

I'm kinda hoping it will be GH2 type form factor, I really like having a grip.

I'm kinda hoping it will be GH2 type form factor, I really like having a grip.

Oh, that can be easily solved. Namely 2 options:

1) Oly can make a bulge hump like the new PL2, that can give a better grip

2) Batt pack that has an extended grip, maybe a cylindrical shape to bring back the motor drive feel of the old days (its a PEN retro afterall, what can i say). Additional functions can incl wireless transfer & tethering shooting, vert release button, extra juice to burst 10fps, another DSP engine inside for still & video boosting, video can do 120fps 1080p for that silky smooth slow-mo of humming bird, geo tagging that can integrate with google map later, faster AF, a LED bulb that can act as a mini torch light or assist AF in dark places. :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

Its transformable & yet very functional. Can i see some hello kitty gaffer on it next? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Oly definitely can sell more cams & accessories with option no.2 so that shud give them the margin they need

Edited: Oly can change the way we use cam by making the batt grip a multi functional accessory. Put in 10 extra filters into the grip, they r mainly film simulation modes namely, Velvia, Provia, Sensia, EktaChrome, Kodachrome, Reala, VPS, Illford, T-Max & Royal Gold. Thats not all, users can go to Oly website to select & flash them with different types of filters. U heard right, there r lot more filters on Oly site to use via the grip. Why stop there? Users can also contribute to the filters collection making every filter unique to everyone all over the world!! Oly can make little grips as well for other future PENs with this feature & they r going to sell tons of it!! HAHAHAHA!!! Too much hassle some say, then enter the new range... mju Digital BUAHAHAHAHA!!! :vhappy: Its simply magical

Last edited:
What i think about is very doable :angel: Its whether any co. wants to do it or not

I am hoping it will be like the OM 3Ti or 4Ti.

I am hoping it will be like the OM 3Ti or 4Ti.

I think OM 3/4 is a little too big to be classified a PEN. I was thinking if they can make the pro a tad bigger than the L series but smaller than the P, that'll be a perfect size. :vhappy:

But knowing Oly does the strangest thing, yet to see what's their strategy to gain that 20% by 2015