Oly eyes 20% share in hi-end digicams

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
Juz read this news from Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6232FA20100304?type=companyNews

"Now a considerable number of compact camera users are moving up to higher-end models. Not many of them bought Canon or Nikon's high-end models in the film age. For these people, being lighter and smaller means a lot," Kikukawa said. "It can be a real hassle to carry around a big camera and lenses."

Panasonic launched digital cameras based on the Micro Four Thirds System in 2008, followed by Olympus in 2009, and now such cameras account for 20 percent of high-end camera demand in Japan, Olympus said.

Kikukawa, who took the helm at Olympus in 2001, said he aimed to bring the camera division's operating profit margin to at least 10 percent in five years, compared with an estimated 2.8 percent in 2009-10.

"Growth in high-end camera sales comes with growth in sales of lenses and accessories, which are also high-margin products," he said. "We need to hit a 10 percent margin in five years at the latest. Otherwise, it would not make a lot of sense for us to stay in the business."

He aims to boost overall sales at Olympus to 1.5 trillion yen in five years from an estimated 900 billion yen this year, and to lift operating profit to at least 100 billion yen from a forecast 59 billion for 2009-10.

Good to hear Oly pushing their target. But the sentence i highlighted got me thinking the "What if...." :sweat: :sweat:

Edited: Sorry, this is last yr old news, stumbled upon it while looking thru other news in Reuters :p

Last edited:
the last sentence is for investor relations la - useful if you are going to invest or have invested - otherwise not useful :D

the last sentence is for investor relations la - useful if you are going to invest or have invested - otherwise not useful :D

The whole interview was for investor relations. :)

I wonder how they arrived at the 10% figure?

i think the target must be set high, miss by abit is still alright.

Nah... i wouldn't worry to much about it.. they are like action heroes in movies.. when all hope seems lost, they suddenly rise up to face the challenge and win! :bsmilie:

Whether consumer or investor relations, Oly must sell like mad for this coming 5yrs. If not, no more hi end cameras liao :sweat:

But what is consider hi end? Anything above S$800?? :sweatsm:

All u PEN & 43 users quickly upgrade to the E5!!

BUY! BUY! BUY!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Whether consumer or investor relations, Oly must sell like mad for this coming 5yrs. If not, no more hi end cameras liao :sweat:

But what is consider hi end? Anything above S$800?? :sweatsm:

All u PEN & 43 users quickly upgrade to the E5!!

BUY! BUY! BUY!

Everyone, this coming Saturday there will be an event, titled "Its time to get E-5 for the sake of getting it, sponsored by Nightpiper" :bsmilie::D

Everyone, this coming Saturday there will be an event, titled "Its time to get E-5 for the sake of getting it, sponsored by Nightpiper" :bsmilie::D

1) Spidey89
2) elgkh

:)

Everyone, this coming Saturday there will be an event, titled "Its time to get E-5 for the sake of getting it, sponsored by Nightpiper" :D

1) Spidey89
2) elgkh

:)

WAH!! U two very evil le. :eek: Like that i every night go sell Back.S also can't fulfil the order HAHAHAHA!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

1) Spidey89
2) elgkh
3) Alphonse

I don't mind get one more E-5 hahaahha joking

Well since the ball has started rolling, why stop? Lets keep it going for the sake of keeping it going!:bsmilie:

1) Spidey89
2) elgkh
3) Alphonse
4) mabmy

Well since the ball has started rolling, why stop? Lets keep it going for the sake of keeping it going!:bsmilie:

1) Spidey89
2) elgkh
3) Alphonse
4) mabmy

Haahaha, we have to stop because its OT :bsmilie:

Clowns. All clowns. But I like.

20% is a LOT of m4/3 and compacts to sell.

But if they really pull the pro m4/3 and lenses off, who knows?

20% is a LOT of m4/3 and compacts to sell.

But if they really pull the pro m4/3 and lenses off, who knows?

Actually 20% includes right now NEX3/5, so it's not surprising. The confusing part comes with the margins, as 10% margin is a very small target actually.

Unless this is purely Oly's manufacturing division and not counting the direct sales margins?

On a second look, it's the overall camera division. If right now it's just 2+%, it means they must be selling a lot of models below cost! But that definitely isn't the case in Singapore...so where could the problem be...

Last edited:
We have to consider what was selling in 2009-2010, to get the 2.8% profit margin.

This will be mostly the EXXX, E30 and PENs. I'm not sure what proportion of sales comes from the lenses, but I've always thought the Oly lenses are exceptionally good value compared to other brands.

Reading between the lines, it could be possible that Oly will concentrate on lenses and accessories to hit the profit target.

Actually 20% includes right now NEX3/5, so it's not surprising. The confusing part comes with the margins, as 10% margin is a very small target actually.

Unless this is purely Oly's manufacturing division and not counting the direct sales margins?

On a second look, it's the overall camera division. If right now it's just 2+%, it means they must be selling a lot of models below cost! But that definitely isn't the case in Singapore...so where could the problem be...

Everyone is assuming. Olympus SG hardly have thick fat margins and trying to stay competitive with the region they are giving up their profits to prevent too much grey market imports. Because there is a 7% GST in Singapore, many brands are suffering as consumers are going across the border or to places like Hong Kong to buy stuff.

They have been selling PENs with almost no profit considering the amount of money poured out to R&D, it is a fact that they are merely pushing out the PENs at that low price to win customers over. Yes they manage to stay profitable but not enough to be giving out big fat bonuses. Maybe that is the DNA of the company.

Should they end up going the way of Canon and splurge large amount of money to market, I am sure price tags of products will start going up up up... that would be quite sad.

??? How come includes the NEX3 and 5?

??? How come includes the NEX3 and 5?

Just FYI, 20% actually is the whole interchangeable lens category and not just mirrorless (including DSLRs). If it's mirrorless category only then 20% is actually quite small. And where do Oly get it's data from? GFK. GFK groups mirrorless all into one category, not just looking at MFT.

When Mr Jap mentioned about lenses, I'm guessing he's defining high end compacts as mirrorless interchangeable cameras.

Last edited: