Old Tampines Road

in terms of composition wise, the photo labelled 2nd shot works best.

just that the model is directly looking at the sun... thus her expression...
maybe ask her to put on a sunglass... might just work

Hope these passed your standard.. Tired and exhausted after these 3 shots.. Now I know to seriously take one shot isn't easy.. Oh yes.. hope nobody could see the car!! But I am happy that I learnt something that day.. Thks everyone for pointing me out!

so honored that you went to try out my angles.
and glad that you like them.
now is to keep on shooting and have fun. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

oh ya i like shot 2 too.
(you can see now that the attention in the pic had been brought to your wifey instead.)

look for a good timing to try again if you are still at it. it seems early mornings are the better times to do phototshoot.

in terms of composition wise, the photo labelled 2nd shot works best.

just that the model is directly looking at the sun... thus her expression...
maybe ask her to put on a sunglass... might just work

Ya Ya Ya... I also like 2nd shot... minus her sleepy eyes lol... and Yes I am going for a reshoot in the evening during the week end... I am not a genius so I have to work hard for it.. I respect photography.. I think this is something that really give a person's happiness upon seeing one's photo... thks Ferderico..

Last edited:
so honored that you went to try out my angles.
and glad that you like them.
now is to keep on shooting and have fun. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

oh ya i like shot 2 too.
(you can see now that the attention in the pic had been brought to your wifey instead.)

look for a good timing to try again if you are still at it. it seems early mornings are the better times to do phototshoot.

Hello fish,

my wife thank you for her tolerant on my lame photography skill... Anyway we like 2nd shot too.. the horizon was nicely inlined directly below her.. and yes I am going for a reshoot in the evening during the weekend cause I respect photography and would hope to bring out the best for portrait photography..

Last edited:
Yes, taming bright sunlight to achieve very shallow DOF. Some camera fastest shutter speed is 1/4000s and at f/1.4, shutter speed could be beyond the camera ability. So with a nd filter, u can shoot at f/1.4 below 1/4000s. Some even use nd filter for shallow DOF flash photography within the sync speed. Like u said, cpl can tame also...it all depends on how bright is the day.

Technically, TS is nt wrong to use nd filter unless he dunno what he is doing.

Hello Futsal,

Thks for your techincal advise.. I do not have much knowledge on the actual use of 9 stop-ND filter. That afternoon was really too bright for my camera even when I used 1/8000 TV.. so I decided to use the filter as I also wishes to achieve a blue sky with those bumpy clouds as the backdrop. And since I wanted to use ND filter, I needed to use flash so that my wife could be exposed correctly to stand out from the background and also I want to maximise the DOF (at f/1.4) because I wanted to achieve something like infinity background bluring into a different dimension... these are things I thought of it myself.. so not very sure if this is the correct way to portrait photography..

Hope these passed your standard..
Who are you shoot for?:)
Your wife, yourself or other?
Do you like the pictures is the most important Q to ask. IMHO

Photography "rules" are just rules, rules are meant to be broken. If you always follow the rules, you are restricting yourself from been creative.

Hope these passed your standard..
Who are you shoot for?:)
Your wife, yourself or other?
Do you like the pictures is the most important Q to ask. IMHO

Photography "rules" are just rules, rules are meant to be broken. If you always follow the rules, you are restricting yourself from been creative.

Hello expro,

Yes, my wife and I like 2nd shot.. because there's the line which lead to her and the line stretches to endless infinity... thats what I like.. I am still new to photography so I would want to listen to the experienced first before hitting on the creative button.. You are right to say photography is also a creative art..

Hello fish,

my wife thank you for her tolerant on my lame photography skill... Anyway we like 2nd shot too.. the horizon was nicely inlined directly below her.. and yes I am going for a reshoot in the evening during the weekend cause I respect photography and would hope to bring out the best for portrait photography..

if i am not wrong, in the evening the sun would be behind her at that road..... that would be another challenge for you. cos you might only get her silouette.

few ways:
either you keep the silouette,
or you use flash to fill-in. (there are lots of examples for this.)
(search the net for overcoming silouettes using flashes.)
or change her direction facing the sun,
or do it in the morning.

anyway, one more perspective is to take head and shoulder portrait with her head along the horizon, that would be interesting.:think:

Last edited:
if i am not wrong, in the evening the sun would be behind her at that road..... that would be another challenge for you. cos you might only get her silouette.

few ways:
either you keep the silouette,
or you use flash to fill-in. (there are lots of examples for this.)
(search the net for overcoming silouettes using flashes.)
or change her direction facing the sun,
or do it in the morning.

anyway, one more perspective is to take head and shoulder portrait with her head along the horizon, that would be interesting.:think:

Ok.. Got it. And Yes, just bought wireless transmitter.. I am about to try it this coming evening...

Ok...

First shot..

5256588343_87caf9fe54_z.jpg

Second shot..

5256587919_7ac184e30b_z.jpg

I couldn't lay down any further because the road was too hot.. I got skin burned within secs just lying on the road...

Third shot..

5257199178_bee4f2a2e0_z.jpg

Hope these passed your standard.. Tired and exhausted after these 3 shots.. Now I know to seriously take one shot isn't easy.. Oh yes.. hope nobody could see the car!! But I am happy that I learnt something that day.. Thks everyone for pointing me out!

Better composition. But somehow the pics look all underexposed to me. Monitor problem?

Better composition. But somehow the pics look all underexposed to me. Monitor problem?

Hi senior,

Yah, I think its the monitor problem.. When I was in office looking at the photos I got a shock as to how come the photos all look so dark??!! So, when I got back home, the first thing I check my laptop and the photos were ok.. So I think could be the monitor issue as well..

Hi to all seniors and those who have helped me,

These two days weather did not permit me for a possible reshoot... I am utterly disappointed.. :dunno::dunno: I even bought a wireless transmitter because I was thinking of going back there either around 7am or around 6pm for the reshoot to enhance what all of you have taught me.. I am very very disappointed.. Anyway I have put all these down in my note book and will take note in future should I came across this horizon background again.. :D:D I am very happy that I learnt alot from all seniors and those who has contributed ideas for me to improve my shots.. Thank you once again.. especially to "FatFish".. Now I got the guide as to shooting the best shot needs patience, thinking, positioning, trying and keep trying..

Hi senior,

Yah, I think its the monitor problem.. When I was in office looking at the photos I got a shock as to how come the photos all look so dark??!! So, when I got back home, the first thing I check my laptop and the photos were ok.. So I think could be the monitor issue as well..

I think you need a calibration. Your gamma on your laptop may be off.

I think you need a calibration. Your gamma on your laptop may be off.

Oh is it? I just bought this laptop in April.. gamma is off.. ok will try to find out more on the Net as to where to adjust my gamma.. Thank you senior..:D

A quickie test from dpreview

From http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

DPReview calibrate their monitors using Color Vision OptiCal at the (fairly well accepted) PC normal gamma 2.2, this means that on our monitors we can make out the difference between all of the (computer generated) grayscale blocks below. We recommend to make the most of this review you should be able to see the difference (at least) between X,Y and Z and ideally A,B and C.
grayscale.gif

Oh is it? I just bought this laptop in April.. gamma is off.. ok will try to find out more on the Net as to where to adjust my gamma.. Thank you senior..:D

Anyway most laptops come out of the box with over bright settings just to give consumers the feeling that the screen is "nice and bright".

Last edited:
ts. I wonder if having some sort of simple props might help with your composition. Maybe a hat, flower, etc.

Since we are at the pictures again.. just want you to also take note..
A few Bros has said Angles are now better.. guess most prefer #2.. I will go for either #2 or #3..

If you decide on #2, just take note of another smallish issue.. the centre road marking is also another leading line.. (quite a bright one as well).. do note it is leading up and throught your wife's legs.. not very good.. simple solution, just close the legs.. stop the leading lines with the person..

Good to know you are keen to get comments (good or bad).. guess people are willing to critique if you are willing to listen.. Happy Shooting!!..

Last edited:
Since we are at the pictures again.. just want you to also take note..
A few Bros has said Angle is now better.. guess most prefer #2.. I will go for either #2 or #3..

If you decide on #2, just take note of another smallish issue.. the centre road marking is also another leading line.. (quite a bright one as well).. do note it is leading up and throught to your wife's legs.. not very good.. simple solution, just close the legs.. stop the leading lines with the person..

Good to know you are keen to get comments (good or bad).. guess people are willing to critique if you are willing to listen.. Happy Shooting!!..

Yes... number 2 is not very "nice"... same thing for the original pic on page one... Never have lines going between the legs of your subject... leading eyes to all the wrong places...

good effort for trying and reshooting.. :thumbsup:

rem u want your wifey to look pretty in your shots too..not just abt the technical bits..

her grimance (from the sun glare) just don't cut it from me