Old/alternate lenses, adapters, and lens mount conversions.

Incidentally, I had the Pentax Super Takumar 85/1.9 with me as well on the same trip.
I had brought the two 85mm lenses with me to do some comparison shots when I sent my daughter for ECA.
Chanced upon a community center event, so took it as a chance to shoot with both lenses.

8195238887_8983f4a245_c.jpg

Down to top 3 for the event, and these were top 2.

8196332260_b3cda0bdcb_c.jpg

Being consoled after not winning a prize

8195239261_af03099c87_c.jpg

Waiting in anticipation

8195239635_ab8230f78c_c.jpg

Too bad I did not catch a pic of him with his spear...

8196331818_96b7d19b26_c.jpg

The anxious wait...

To me the other 85mm options around are more dependable. (Sharp, contrast, good from wide open)
J9, is unique and characterful.
Can be wonderful in the right situations.
But more of a unique effects lens to me that one that I'd use if I needed to depend on it.
For example, if I were a paid photographer for this exact event, I would certainly use the takumar or other more mainstream 85mm.
Perhaps its just my copy, so just MHO.
For my own shooting and leisure, I wouldn't mind bringing the J9 for fun.

Last edited:
The manual Carl Zeiss Planar F2 100mm>C/Y to EOS adaptor.

5537325955_a6cfd00451_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Candid shot at Bugis Junction

Last edited:
The manual Carl Zeiss Planar F2 100mm>C/Y to EOS adaptor.

5537325955_a6cfd00451_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Candid shot at Bugis Junction

It's a Zeiss... Awesome...

So lucky to have all these expensive sharp lenses..the only thing zeiss i have is tge 77mm uv filter...

Interesting..haha would like to play with one of these lenses some time

That is if you can find a super takumar at the right price in the first place. :)

eggie87
So lucky to have all these expensive sharp lenses..the only thing zeiss i have is tge 77mm uv filter...

That's the whole point of manual lenses,there are lots of alternatives but I let you find out for yourself. :)

Incidentally, I had the Pentax Super Takumar 85/1.9 with me as well on the same trip.
I had brought the two 85mm lenses with me to do some comparison shots when I sent my daughter for ECA.
Chanced upon a community center event, so took it as a chance to shoot with both lenses.
Down to top 3 for the event, and these were top 2.

Being consoled after not winning a prize

Waiting in anticipation

Too bad I did not catch a pic of him with his spear...

The anxious wait...

To me the other 85mm options around are more dependable. (Sharp, contrast, good from wide open)
J9, is unique and characterful.
Can be wonderful in the right situations.
But more of a unique effects lens to me that one that I'd use if I needed to depend on it.
For example, if I were a paid photographer for this exact event, I would certainly use the takumar or other more mainstream 85mm.
Perhaps its just my copy, so just MHO.
For my own shooting and leisure, I wouldn't mind bringing the J9 for fun.

Hi JK, long time no see. Since when did you pick up the Canon Old Lady. I missed it. Great photos, as usual, from you. Which Takumar 85f1.9 do you have, the S-M-C version? Do you also have the A 85f1.4? Cheers.

Hi JK, long time no see. Since when did you pick up the Canon Old Lady. I missed it. Great photos, as usual, from you. Which Takumar 85f1.9 do you have, the S-M-C version? Do you also have the A 85f1.4? Cheers.

Yes, Anthony, its been a while.
Hope everything's fine at your end.

I've had the 5D for a while, but seldom use it till now.
This is my stand in camera until I get a good price for a K5IIs. :D
Fills the FF niche of the hobby for now too.

This is the Super Takumar 85mm f1.9.
Unfortunately, its not the SMC one, which is more expensive, rare, and said to be better.
I can only imagine how much better the SMC will do for contrast and colors.

Last edited:
This is the Super Takumar 85mm f1.9.
Unfortunately, its not the SMC one, which is more expensive, rare, and said to be better.
I can only imagine how much better the SMC will do for contrast and colors.

I tot super takumar its rarer as it's older... Smc newer... Forgive my ignorance...

I tot super takumar its rarer as it's older... Smc newer... Forgive my ignorance...

So chim..Lol

SMC (Super Multi Coat)
About Super-Multi Coating (SMC)
Probably the best multicoating in its time, and still in use (supposedly improved) today.

The Super Takumar 85/1.9 ran for about 7yrs production (1965-71)
The SMC version of this lens only ran for 2yrs.
Rarity also as seen on ebay (SMC version less common)

SMC (Super Multi Coat)
About Super-Multi Coating (SMC)
Probably the best multicoating in its time, and still in use (supposedly improved) today.

The Super Takumar 85/1.9 ran for about 7yrs production (1965-71)
The SMC version of this lens only ran for 2yrs.
Rarity also as seen on ebay (SMC version less common)

The S-M-C, abbreviation for Super-Multi-Coating (the 3 words separated by - ) 85f1.8 is legendary. I have tested it before but bought the Contax Zeiss Planner 85f1.4 instead because there was intermitten mirror clearance problem with my 5D. I believe the Pentax K 85f1.7 is also rare and excellent but still inferior to the later Pentax A 85f1.4. Together with the Pentax A 135f1.8, these will be the pair of lenses I will hunt for when NEX FF comes out.

The S-M-C, abbreviation for Super-Multi-Coating (the 3 words separated by - ) 85f1.8 is legendary. I have tested it before but bought the Contax Zeiss Planner 85f1.4 instead because there was intermitten mirror clearance problem with my 5D. I believe the Pentax K 85f1.7 is also rare and excellent but still inferior to the later Pentax A 85f1.4. Together with the Pentax A 135f1.8, these will be the pair of lenses I will hunt for when NEX FF comes out.

I like f1.8 or f2 type 85mm as they are smaller.
I've got the FA*85, even though its very good for typical portrait distances, I seldom bring it out due to size.

Between FA* and A*85, I actually prefer the FA*85.
The A*85 is only a bit sharper and is sharper at long distances to infinity.
The FA*85 has better bokeh imo, and is no slouch at infinity (splitting hairs over all this sharpness thing).
FA* is a better portrait lens.
A*85 is a better general lens.
FA* is far easier to use too with AF. (not relevant to you of course)

A*135/1.8 is overpriced imo. (mainly due to legendary status, rarity and performance)
It is good, sharp and contrasty from wide open.
But IMO, there are very good 135/2 from the major brands for half the price.

Something from the Soligor 17/4 again today.
Nice sunset after the past week of unpredictable wet weather in the late afternoons.

8203506050_60c135e3f9_c.jpg

I guess there are not much cheap (ie. under $500) legacy UWA options under 20mm, so this lens will have to do for me for now.
I'm pretty intrigued by the CZJ 20/4 though, so maybe I should look in that direction.
Anyone has inputs on the CZJ 20/4 or 20/2.8?

Last edited:
Pinholecam, you may also want to check out the Tamron 17mm f3.5 lens - a good performance UWA lens for under $500.

CP

Pinholecam, you may also want to check out the Tamron 17mm f3.5 lens - a good performance UWA lens for under $500.

CP

Ok. Thanks.
Another one to add to the look out list :D

Still have the old Pentax M 200f4 and loves it on my NEX 5N. I have been chasing this pair of birds for quite sometime at
the park near my place. Still do not know their names.

Pentax M 200f4 at F8, ISO 800 on NEX 5N.

8205245668_a40890c94a_b.jpg

8205245568_5f44625443_b.jpg

Anthony Lee said:
Still have the old Pentax M 200f4 and loves it on my NEX 5N. I have been chasing this pair of birds for quite sometime at
the park near my place. Still do not know their names.

Pentax M 200f4 at F8, ISO 800 on NEX 5N.

These are the noisy cookoo birds in the morning making that loud kooookooookookookooio