Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

What's your priority in a official shoot...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say work hand in hand is the best. So far all the events I have covered be it me as an official or others would not get into each other's way. Would always give way to those who are covering the event as well. They would do the same as well.

It's all about balancing. Give and take. As a professional photographer and an official photographer, one should know not to be snobbish or rude to others. Yes it is important to get the one very important image because your client paid you to do it.

First and foremost important thing is why are you being block by others? If you are the official photographer of that particular event you are covering, you should know where to stand and be there early. No one should blame anybody but yourself. If you are really being block, there is nothing to just open your mouth and say "Excuse me, you are blocking my angle. Can you move a little so I have a little space to cover it as well." If that does not work, then just let your client know about it. Do not take things into your own hand.

Shoot and scoot. If you have to move around, shoot and scoot, minimise the amount of time you are obstructing people.

Fashion Festival is coming up, it'll be interesting to see who'll be at these events. Probably see all the usual suspects.

that's right :thumbsup:

the most pleasant experience i had on event coverage was when a couple of us were covering the street parade in punggol 2 years back, there was difficulty from the crowd due to some crowd control problem. i had to shift around much as i was covering with wide angle lens, and this guy happened to take up a position i was wanting to move into, he made a couple of quick shots and with a friendly smile let me into his position :thumbsup:

respect one another, and know your limits.

i was covering an event today, and this unknown photographer which his big metz hammerhead just keeps blocking everyone, and after a while the mediacorp videographer got utterly pissed and scolded that photographer right in front of the VIP.

Good comments! Keep it coming..... So far no flames, which is nice.

From my personal experience, most photographers who are doing it for money (i.e. official) are quite civil to one another - although there are some very arrogant ones. There is usually more than one angle for a "good" shot.

I think I shall also start another Hobbyist poll.... ;)

Hehehe... the dancing photog... yes, I think we have all seen him before....:bsmilie:

i disagree...
example,

have you ever been to a professional sporting event where television cameras sometimes block seemingly the best angles? are you going to tell espn to move because they are in your way? are they unprofessional because they are in your way? should they turn around and ask a few hundred or more people "am i in your way?"

i'd say no to all 3. with that in mind, an official or pro photog has the same job to do as espn... to document. although a photogs equipment is smaller, their job is not to turn around and see who they are in the way of because undoubtedley they will be in the way of someone somewhere sometime. courtesy is nice, but it is not mandatory and it is not the mark of a professional. although in fairness, how one responds to your request may be a different story.

if so, i suggest go oganise your own event, pay yourself to be the offical CAM and ask everyone to buzz off. surely after that you will have all the space and angle to shoot liao.

there are 360degrees on horizontial plane and 360degrees on the vertical plane, only 1 point to shoot?

It is not mandatory, but then if you feel like that then why pther have to give a A$$ if you make the shoots or not. Please remember others do not own you nuts.

I would say work hand in hand is the best. So far all the events I have covered be it me as an official or others. I would always give way to those who are covering the event as well. They would do the same as well.

It's all about balancing. Give and take. As a professional photographer and an official photographer, one should know not to be snobbish or rude to others. Yes it is important to get the one very important image because your client paid you to do it.

First and foremost important thing is why are you being block by others? If you are the official photographer of that particular event you are covering, you should know where to stand and be there early. No one should blame anybody but yourself. If you are really being block, there is nothing to just open your mouth and say "Excuse me, you are blocking my angle. Can you move a little so I have a little space to cover it as well." If that does not work, then just let your client know about it. Do not take things into your own hand.

up for you bro
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
i truely believes this is the first step, ugly things come after other options have been tried.

respect one another, and know your limits.

i was covering an event today, and this unknown photographer which his big metz hammerhead just keeps blocking everyone, and after a while the mediacorp videographer got utterly pissed and scolded that photographer right in front of the VIP.

this a clear example of bad apples from the non-pros.
i believe that there are both types.

sigh........... makes me abit sad. event photography was so fun in sch. cos in sch events, being the photographer on duty, i always get crazy friends jumping in front of my camera whenever i'm shooting:bsmilie:. like *half press*....... *focus locked* ........ *stupid friends jump in front* ...... "HELLO!!!!" *click!* "damn. shoo shoo. i dun want my cam to spoil."

*repose again* ..... *half press* *focus lock* .......*peek beside me*....... *puts down camera* "WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?!!"

sigh........... makes me abit sad. event photography was so fun in sch. cos in sch events, being the photographer on duty, i always get crazy friends jumping in front of my camera whenever i'm shooting:bsmilie:. like *half press*....... *focus locked* ........ *stupid friends jump in front* ...... "HELLO!!!!" *click!* "damn. shoo shoo. i dun want my cam to spoil."

*repose again* ..... *half press* *focus lock* .......*peek beside me*....... *puts down camera* "WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?!!"

outside of school, maybe someone jumps infront of the camera and punch the lens :sweat:

outside of school, maybe someone jumps infront of the camera and punch the lens :sweat:

haha. but even in sch events, esp indoor ones which are staged, we still follow rules and values and try not to block students for too long. though some exceptions must be made, like when teaching juniors, it might take sometime at the blocking spot to teach them.

however, sometimes, when the event staged is boring, sch mates rather see us in action.:bsmilie:

I had one unpleasant experience with a photographer in front of me, he kept moving into my field of view. Asked him nicely if he would stop moving and blocking me. Showed me his media pass, as I hadn't gotten mine yet I could tell him to piss off. I changed to my 70-200 he came back to try and block me again and knocked into my lens. Smacked him in the ear with the lens, he never got in my way after that.

There are some jerks out there, some of them are press photographers. But having said that, there are some nice guys out there too. They have the freaking nerve to tape off "their area" and you cannot encroach that boundary, their reasoning, they are shooting for the newspaper, their job is more important. Hey give and take alittle, next time I come across some of these guys, I won't be so nice. If you are cool with me, I'll be cool with you. If you wanna be nasty, so can I.

At the end of the day everyone who is there has a job to do, you aren't the only one trying to get the job done, there are actually other people that are trying to do the same.

For those guys who are shooting for fun or are novices, no one is saying you can't shoot, by all means, but once you have your shot get out of the way, let someone else get the shot.

I had one unpleasant experience with a photographer in front of me, he kept moving into my field of view. Asked him nicely if he would stop moving and blocking me. Showed me his media pass, as I hadn't gotten mine yet I could tell him to piss off. I changed to my 70-200 he came back to try and block me again and knocked into my lens. Smacked him in the ear with the lens, he never got in my way after that.

There are some jerks out there, some of them are press photographers. But having said that, there are some nice guys out there too. They have the freaking nerve to tape off "their area" and you cannot encroach that boundary, their reasoning, they are shooting for the newspaper, their job is more important. Hey give and take alittle, next time I come across some of these guys, I won't be so nice. If you are cool with me, I'll be cool with you. If you wanna be nasty, so can I.

At the end of the day everyone who is there has a job to do, you aren't the only one trying to get the job done, there are actually other people that are trying to do the same.

For those guys who are shooting for fun or are novices, no one is saying you can't shoot, by all means, but once you have your shot get out of the way, let someone else get the shot.

Do take note that taping your area is done internationally. You tape the area becoz you arrived early. No excuse for being late. That being said, usually if you ask and there is space, they will grant you a space. Masking tape and marker pens are common accesories and tools of the trade. Nothing wrong with that.

A better approach instead of wacking your lens on the ear and risking earwax contamination is to voice your concern to the organiser. Especially if the guy was deliberately trying to be a trouble maker.

yea that's part of media photographers' life..sometimes, when they can't get their jobs, they'll get frustrated and be more violent. it's unavoidable. i'm temporarily in this line, and i've seen a few instances where this has occured..

however, most of the photographers i've worked with are rather nice people, and although everyone rushes to get their shot first, those in front will automatically move away when they've got their shots to give those at the back a chance to shoot.

Do take note that taping your area is done internationally. You tape the area becoz you arrived early. No excuse for being late. That being said, usually if you ask and there is space, they will grant you a space. Masking tape and marker pens are common accesories and tools of the trade. Nothing wrong with that.

A better approach instead of wacking your lens on the ear and risking earwax contamination is to voice your concern to the organiser. Especially if the guy was deliberately trying to be a trouble maker.

videographers will usually book their space by "parking" their tripods there...:bsmilie:

Fair enough, point taken.

But this guy was just being a real jerk. The only one in the whole bunch. I'm not saying to wack everyone in the ear, but I did ask the guy not to move around, he was fine where he was, there was no reason to move around or even to be nasty towards me.

No problem with the ear wax, just wanted to see how solid my lens was. The opportunity arose to test the integrity of my lens and I took it.:bsmilie:

I do not intentionally go out to pick fights with other photographers but sometimes you do have to stand your ground. This guy thought I was some push-over, boy was he surprised. Now when he sees me, he avoids me.:)

Hehehe... the dancing photog... yes, I think we have all seen him before....:bsmilie:

dancing photog???? who??? pm me leh???

courtesy, be it official or non-official photog, must always be there what.

being an official photog doesn't grant us the right to be rude,right? :embrass:

also, sometimes, u never know, one of the audience maybe your future customer!

Let me take a stand and add more oil to the fire from the persepctive of the audience. This apply to both free and paid (from the audience stand point) performances.

There are chairs, and the expectation is that all the audiences will be sitting down, one in each chair. If someone suddenly stand up, just to take a picture, that person is going against expectation. What rights does this person, lets call him photogrpaher, the rights to impose himself, impede on the rights of others to enjoy a performace without be interupted.

What would you do it the person in the cinema sitting in front of you, insist to stand up every now and then? Is that ok to you? I will wack the person with a 2 by 4.

Now, what is the difference if this person happens to be our photographer?

Let me take a stand and add more oil to the fire from the persepctive of the audience. This apply to both free and paid (from the audience stand point) performances.

There are chairs, and the expectation is that all the audiences will be sitting down, one in each chair. If someone suddenly stand up, just to take a picture, that person is going against expectation. What rights does this person, lets call him photogrpaher, the rights to impose himself, impede on the rights of others to enjoy a performace without be interupted.

What would you do it the person in the cinema sitting in front of you, insist to stand up every now and then? Is that ok to you? I will wack the person with a 2 by 4.

Now, what is the difference if this person happens to be our photographer?

Quite true... but this would probably apply to the other poll on non-official photographers...
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=264558

Sitting in the audience's chair would get you ugly angles... no one in his right mind would even wanna do that if they are covering the event for money. In fact, they might even wanna shoot the audience if there are some VIPs or celebrities gracing the event...:)

If the performance is paid, I as a paying audience will be equally as pissed off if an offcial photographer block my view to the stage/performance. Not acceptable. Anyway, luckily I never have to confront these situation, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.