Official D3100 User Thread

I'm really bad at this, here is some pics i took

ISO 100 1/400 F5.6 Focal length 55mm

003 by myoha, on Flickr

ISO 100 1/40 F5.6 Focal length 55mm

005 by myoha, on Flickr

ISO 100 1/50 F5.6 Focal Length 55mm, this one i was using Guide Mode that taught me to use A Mode and choose small values for Aperture to soften the background, I think the white a bit too bright (is it called bright? noob)

010 by myoha, on Flickr

I'll see if I can do some night shots to test the higher ISO, but probably need to bring out my father's old tripod, no fish prawn also can lol

Wow lovely pictures, very "crispy"

Just got mine from TK foto =))

Got mine over the weekend. Very pleased with it !
I think this is a superb travel camera for those that must have a DSLR with them.

High iso is superb - ISO 3200 is about as good as D90's ISO 1600 even when having more megapixels !!

and when you turn the noise reduction "on", even ISO 6400 is perfectly usuable although you lose some fine detail. (not noticeable on small print sizes)

oh ya... HD video with full time auto focusing works well, and is just icing on this already very tasty cake...

This is just my opinion. Just wanted to share that I think this is one fantastic camera.

Heck of a bargain at the price....

This is so poisonous... I want to step out of pns, wondering if should I get D90 or D3100... Any comments on the auto focus during D3100's video mode?

This is so poisonous... I want to step out of pns, wondering if should I get D90 or D3100... Any comments on the auto focus during D3100's video mode?

Hi,

If you can wait 2 months - your question should be D7000 or D3100...

With regard to the auto focus during video - it works but is not fast. What I mean is that it is as fast as your lens can focus (different lens have different speeds when focusing from near to infinity)

Also --- if the subject is running towards/away from you at great speeds, the auto focusing takes some time to catch up. approx 1 to 1.3 secs

But if you are recording say a baby's first steps....a lecture.....travel scenery...it does its job. It is no good for sports....

Hope this helps..

Thanks for the reply. But I think D7000 is very expensive... Thinking of getting a cheaper body and get a slightly better len maybe a prime len... Newspaper say university students are rich but I am not :(

have you ask around the shops ?
just give them a call, i believe that they do sell without the kit lens. :)

I also want the Body only. Called Alan Photo, Orient Photo and MS Color and none of them have D3100 'Body only' set. Can someone share if they manage to get one? By the way, what's the cheapest price for kit? AP: $840

Just bought the body only from alan photo (sim lim) just now~! It's kit set but they kept the lens.

Just bought the body only from alan photo (sim lim) just now~! It's kit set but they kept the lens.

I also want the Body only. Called Alan Photo, Orient Photo and MS Color and none of them have D3100 'Body only' set. Can someone share if they manage to get one? By the way, what's the cheapest price for kit? AP: $840

so how much did you pay for the body only D3100 ? I may not wait for the D7000 since not sure if it will come in time for my vacation trip in Dec, so may just get this D3100.

$690 for the body only. If you go for the kit set it will be $840. So it's $150 different which is what I expected (If I try to sell the lens by my own also around $150). Bought another lens nikon 35mm F1.8 at $330 which is cheaper than other shop.

*Try look for their boss as AP's guys do not have the right to make the call.

will the d3100 work with sigma 10-20mm lens?

thanks

trying to find a 3rd party uwa lens to buy with d3100 - but some are saying the live view autofocus doesn't work with 3rd party lenses
what's the price for nikkor 10-24mm now? $1200 ~ $1300?

Last edited:
trying to find a 3rd party uwa lens to buy with d3100 - but some are saying the live view autofocus doesn't work with 3rd party lenses
what's the price for nikkor 10-24mm now? $1200 ~ $1300?

It is somewhere around $1300+++ before gst