OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 6D - User Thread - Part 3

For me, the whole point of using FF is the ability to deliver shallow DOF.

That however is not everyone's cup of tea. For most, APS-C is good enough.

thanks for the reply!

really tempted to buy 6d kit II now. i checked out the price and its $2,7xx after less $200 trade in. is the lens 24-70mm 4L good enough for travel, taking sceneries?

I got the 6D with just the 50mm. Train with a fix length, once you understand the full use of a certain focal length, change to another one. Besides, as much as 24-70 f4 is good, aim for the f2.8... hahahaha..

Since you said it only worked when using your EOS remote app, probably the app was overriding things when it was connected? If you want to know the cause for sure, you need to try reproducing the error.

No.. I have to use the app after all methods stopped working

any1 know shop tat rent 70-200mm f2.8 tamron ?

Any advice of 6D with Av mode giving too low shutter speed during indoor shoot? flash mounted as well(ETTL)

i have set min shutter speed to 1/125 already.
using auto always get those 0.3 or 1/15 shutterspeed....
using 1/60 - 1/180 with speedlite always fall into 1/60 which is a little slow.
capping it at 1/180 the ambient lightning become abit dark.

Any advice of 6D with Av mode giving too low shutter speed during indoor shoot? flash mounted as well(ETTL) i have set min shutter speed to 1/125 already. using auto always get those 0.3 or 1/15 shutterspeed.... using 1/60 - 1/180 with speedlite always fall into 1/60 which is a little slow. capping it at 1/180 the ambient lightning become abit dark.

Wah. With the 6d, don't be afraid to push your ISO up! That'll give you all the latitude you need to increase your shutter speed. Anyway with a flash on your max flash sync speed is 1/160. That's only about 1.5 stops more than the 1/60. Or when compared to your 1/15, 3+ stops. I'm sure you can push up your ISO a little more! Even if you are currently shooting at ISO1600, you can safely go up to 6400 without much decrease in quality!

Or you could try to use flash compensation by adjusting the output of the flash to be higher while keeping all other factors the same. Do note that this would only make your subject(or where the flash hits) to be brighter. Won't necessarily make your ambient brighter.

Alternatively, you can go full manual.

Hope this helps.

And if you want the camera to decide for you (even as you say that the ambient light becomes too dark at 1/180) you can just expose to the right. Then your camera can decide the rest for you.

Any advice of 6D with Av mode giving too low shutter speed during indoor shoot? flash mounted as well(ETTL)

i have set min shutter speed to 1/125 already.
using auto always get those 0.3 or 1/15 shutterspeed....
using 1/60 - 1/180 with speedlite always fall into 1/60 which is a little slow.
capping it at 1/180 the ambient lightning become abit dark.

That's Canon algorithm on applying flash in AV mode. Google something like.. "Canon shutter speed too slow with flash in AV mode".

In short usually I just use manual mode instead.

That's Canon algorithm on applying flash in AV mode. Google something like.. "Canon shutter speed too slow with flash in AV mode".

In short usually I just use manual mode instead.

i google that but doesnt have any absolute help =(
guess have to revert to M mode.

hope canon release open source for us to tweak some algorithm.

Here here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=757601 *mod please remove the link if it's deemed inapropriate*

Basically speaking.. in Av mode with speedlite, your camera will try to meter the exposure without factoring in the speedlite.. (Don't ask me why)

Also, if, at the moment, M mode is too troublesome for you, you can try P mode.

Oh. One more thing, could it also be the choice of metering mode? I have heard that you should be on evaluative metering for more accurate metering when using an ettl flash.

you are right , the camera dun take flash in account to meter the exposure

you are right , the camera dun take flash in account to meter the exposure

I am not sure what is wrong with Canon's way. I prefer it that way. Alot of fexibility. I use my flash in 2 ways

AV Mode with flash - exposed for the background, it is useful if flash is not used as main light but a fill (with HSS) and lower flash exposure
M Mode with flash - If you want the flash to be the main light or when it is low light. Adjust the aperture, iso for the required background exposure.

The camera will use the flash as 'fill-in' when the camera is set in A modv. Use this mode if you want to shoot backlit scenes. For night and event photography with flash, use 'P', Tv or 'M, making sure you don't set the shutter speed faster than the sync speed. Of course, you can use hi-speed sync if the flash supports this.

Using these modes, the background may be underexposed.

Does anyone know how to solve aliasing issues when shooting videos with the 6D? Help pls

hi, fellow 6D users, any way to check for shutter count on 6D?
i tried some of the websites, seems that 6D does not put in shutter info in the exif

Just pay a few dollars to get this program: ShutterCount

Just pay a few dollars to get this program: ShutterCount

went to get it after seeing this post. couldn't find a free one, decided to save myself the trouble. Its 4 dollars for unlimited use =)

Apparently i didn't shoot as many frames as i thought i did. Time to get out more :bsmilie:

I actually have a programme I've found that is free.

It's out there, you just got to look harder.